too much spam in the forum contest

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
djpinc19
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

too much spam in the forum contest

Post by djpinc19 »

i was looking at the rig pictures too before the rules got changed
now i have a terrible feeling that a bunch of entries are spam accounts

had to get my two cents out because i want fairness
skier

Re: too much spam in the forum contest

Post by skier »

different accounts-same ip don't worry about it, there actually arent as many applicants that are eligible as normal
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

Don't worry us admins are on it. Spam posts are deleted on site and real spammers are banned with great malicious :)
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

dicecca112 wrote: real spammers are banned with great malicious :)
That comment makes it look like you enjoy it a little to much!
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

XstollieX wrote:
I almost posted when I banned my first spammer on my iPad :mrgreen:
djpinc19
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by djpinc19 »

dicecca112 wrote:
XstollieX wrote:
i like how the DMV is no-nonsense. the banhammer is for great justice too.
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by NAiLs »

Bah, yea, that provides for more spam and people to fake their IP and e-mail, and make multiple entries. :( The other way makes people take time to be sure they're entered properly. Ah well.... rules are rules! :partyman:
"Bow down before the one you serve! You're going to get what you deserve!" - |\| | |/|
Sparky
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sparky »

dicecca112 wrote:Don't worry us admins are on it. Spam posts are deleted on site and real spammers are banned with great malicious :)
Which is another reason I love this site so much!
MSI Meg X570 Unify | Ryzen 3900X | Noctuna NH-U12A | G.Skill RipJaws DDR4 3600 16GB | Samsung 970 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe | (2) WD Blue 3TB Backups | MSI 2060 Super Gaming X | Meshify - C | SB X-Fi
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

dicecca112 wrote:
XstollieX wrote:
LMAO!!
hark
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hark »

I was thinking this, too. The number of entries pretty much doubled after the rules were relaxed. There is the problem of spammers, however I also think it's important to note that most of these newer entries are effortless. At least with older entries, people contributed to the rig topic and the forums in general. Then they might have contributed to the folding@home team and maybe spread the word with twitter and facebook. Now there are these accounts that were clearly registered just to post once in that topic for a chance to win. Someone like that will probably never return again after the contest is over.
RBIEZE
Legit User
Legit User

Post by RBIEZE »

Ohh nooos ,dont ban me. :axe:

I often check the forums and lurk here without logging in .

I know that others and myself included just dont post unless we have something worthy to add to a thread.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Unless you've got multiple forum accounts in the competition you wont get banned rbieze.

I don't have any official insider information about the competition rules, but I'm guessing the reason the rules were relaxed, is that the competition entries didn't reach critical mass fast enough with the slightly stricter rules in place. It's sad that people can't be bothered to take a picture and make 3 other posts to have a chance at winning a $3000 system, but if LR wants to keep doing competitions like this, it needs to be able show the sponsors that it's reaching enough people to warrant these kinds of prizes, and sadly the main factor of proof is the number of entrants. I know it doesn't feel fair to the regulars (or even those that took the time to make all 5 posts), but if LR doesn't get enough entries, they won't be able to do competitions like this full stop so everyone loses.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
eunoia
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by eunoia »

Still great odds.

It's always a double-edged sword with these contests, because on the one hand you understand the goal of increasing membership and board activity, but deep down inside you want to keep it a secret.
No one would talk much in society, if he knew how often he misunderstands others. - Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe (1749-1832)
djpinc19
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by djpinc19 »

admins could also weed out spam entries by looking when the account was created. as was already stated, the spam accounts are of no real long term benefit to LR Forums apart from increased visits
hark
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hark »

Ah, I understand now. Though it's very interesting to see the contest entries have now tripled within only two days. Could the picture requirement have been that much of a burden for some of these people? :lol:
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

I for one didn't join the contest because it was already showing a dozen pages. My son who shares the same home IP wireless didn't join either.

When the rules relaxed, it was amazing to see how fast that thread climbed. :mrgreen:

Well with the admins keeping watch, I'm looking forward to see how the winner comes out on this one.
AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
My Stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=303718
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights
stunts7058
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by stunts7058 »

i hadnt created an account on here till i saw the contest but this is the site i check almost everyday fer my tech news. sadly enough ive never been much to do a lot of talking on most forums which usually hurts my odds on most things and in a lot of games because people think im inactive when in actually i get on a lot. as fer the picture problem i dont have a camera and my lappy is just that a lappy and the desktop is so unremarkably out of date its nothing impressive
Nobahar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Nobahar »

It's tough to do contests of this magnitude, maybe next time it's a big prize have something more EVGA-esque? Make it a form entry rather than a forum post so it's a private submission, and then have a little scavenger hunt on the forums for answers that you need to get an entry in the contest. The answers can be information found in reviews or the forum posts.

Takes some involvement and effort, and would switch things up a bit :) But good luck for those in the contest, really hope someone with more than 10 posts wins :)
Cairtorm
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Cairtorm »

djpinc19 wrote:i was looking at the rig pictures too before the rules got changed
now i have a terrible feeling that a bunch of entries are spam accounts

had to get my two cents out because i want fairness
Worse is, most of the people don't read the instructions... It says that you need to be active on the forum... And I see a lots of people with 1 post... (I'm not that over, but.... I'm here posting and active)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

hark wrote:Ah, I understand now. Though it's very interesting to see the contest entries have now tripled within only two days. Could the picture requirement have been that much of a burden for some of these people? :lol:
people are lazy...

The resason I removed the restriction is because the companies that provide the prizes want to see return on investment and I have to show them how many people entered. Last week the entries were under 70, which is pretty small for a $3000 prize. I asked ibuypower for help promoting the contest and they didn't mention it on their facebook or twitter, which is a shame if you ask me. Intel doesn't promote things like that, which is why they let review sites give hardware away. By removing the restrictions on the contest it nearly tripled the entries, which lowers the odds of winning, but I did it for the community so we can get prizes to give away next time.

Sites like HardOCP did a drawing like this and got... 1568 comments in their thread... We are only at 250 for the same system.... sucks, but what else can I do? I e-mailed it out to the 6,100 forum members twice, posted it on the front page three times, made an article out of it, e-mailed our e-mail list of ~5,000 people, put it on twitter where we have 550+ followers a few times, facebooked it on my personal page of ~500 followers and the LR fan page with ~300 followers... I find it crazy that out of all that less than 250 people entered... I'm trying to give something away and it seems like people don't want it!
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!