30 Min Delay

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
stunts7058
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

30 Min Delay

Post by stunts7058 »

hey guys i just curious i been havin this problem with my desktop for some time. no matter what ive tried any time i have to boot it up it takes round about 30 min. afore i can actually do anything on the main drive. if i plug a external in it runs the autoplay and i can get into explorer and run anything off of that drive. but i still can not access the main drive. after the 30 min. all of my messengers and normal start up programs pop up and everything works fine. just curious if anyone knew how to fix this
geokilla

Re: 30 Min Delay

Post by geokilla »

That's not right... The longest time it took me to boot up and get working on the computer was around 5 minutes, and that's on a Pentium 4 computer with 256MB RAMBUS. Now it takes like 1 minute with 768MB RAMBUS.

Anyways, have you tried safe mode? I suspect you have a virus or something like that. If your computer isn't infected with anything, there might be a chance it's dying... I'll leave that up to the experts.
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.16V (CPU-Z + LinX)
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H F14 BIOS
ASUS GTX 460 768MB @ 800/1950
Kingston HyperX DDR3 8GB @ DDR-1333
Corsair AX750
Crucial M4 128GB
Western Digital Black 1TB
Cooler Master Hyper 212+ EVO
BenQ E2420HD
---------------------
I AM CANADIAN!
stunts7058
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by stunts7058 »

its not then entire computer is the thing that confuses me i have tried quite a few things but i gave up round a year ago but i figured i could ask again and maybe someone would have an idea to help me. no i dont have a virus i used to be the guy at my school that everyone brought computers to ta fix and remove viruses lol but this problem i just couldnt figure out. and it started doin it not long after i built it maybe like 3 months after i built it is when it started it. im thinkin i might need to just completely clear out the harddrive and reinstall drivers but idk
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

Personally I'd wipe the drive clean and reinstall Windows along with everything else. If the problem happens again then I'd say it's likely that it's hardware related or something. That long of time is crazy :shock:
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
stunts7058
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by stunts7058 »

yea thats kinda what ive been thinkin i gonna have to do but i dont have the reinstall discs fer half my stuff lol u see i have 2 little sisters that are murder on discs of any kind but owell i guess it happens
geokilla

Post by geokilla »

Oh does this count? I used to have this problem with a Pentium 3 computer loaded with Windows XP. The CPU usage would skyrocket at 100% since bootup making the computer unusable for no matter how long I left it sit at the desktop. Tried everything from memtest to reinstalling Windows XP, no go. In the end, I let the computer sit for like half a year. Booted it up. Voila! It works like normal!

I dunno what happened and how it magically fixed itself. I think it had something to do with Windows.
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.16V (CPU-Z + LinX)
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H F14 BIOS
ASUS GTX 460 768MB @ 800/1950
Kingston HyperX DDR3 8GB @ DDR-1333
Corsair AX750
Crucial M4 128GB
Western Digital Black 1TB
Cooler Master Hyper 212+ EVO
BenQ E2420HD
---------------------
I AM CANADIAN!
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

damn lol. I'm still wondering how my mother's old pc ran or even turned on. I buried it 2 months ago, but when I tore it apart, I saw 7 out of the 10 capacitors next tot he cpu were blown or had leaked..but it still worked(before I got rid of it anyway)
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
Kattenkrad
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Kattenkrad »

Are you by any chance running a RAID of some sort?

It could be the RAID has become degenerate and it's sitting there verifying itself before the computer is responsive. I had this problem a couple weeks ago and solved it by removing one of the drives and replacing it, then telling the RAID to rebuild completely overnight.
stunts7058
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by stunts7058 »

lol mines still useable just has a manditory wait period lol
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

It might be a bad drive. I had a similar issue a few years back and pulled out a few hairs. All the SMART readings were normal and I didn't hear any of the distinctive clicking that ominously means your drive is on the way out. Finally I tried another drive and all was right in the universe.

The drive I had an issue with was a Seagate Barracuda 250GB IDE drive. Seagate replaced the drive and the PC was back up and running normally.
stunts7058
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by stunts7058 »

sadly enough.... i already tried that
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Download BootVIS and see what is taking so long to load.
http://majorgeeks.com/BootVis_d664.html
nightblood
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by nightblood »

stop all programs from starting up on bootup.
if problem is not fixed run a chkdsk on your drive.
if problem is not fixed look at what services are running on bootup.
check the event log for errors you are getting on bootup as well.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

nightblood wrote:stop all programs from starting up on bootup.
if problem is not fixed run a chkdsk on your drive.
if problem is not fixed look at what services are running on bootup.
check the event log for errors you are getting on bootup as well.
Or you can run BootVIS like I just posted and see what is running and how long it's taking to load.
slugbug
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by slugbug »

You might also try defragmenting your hard drive. I use Defraggler.
stunts7058
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by stunts7058 »

welli defrag it all the time and i tried the bootvis thing and it comes up right after windows starts just fine then i still gotta wait the 30 min fer everythin else so it didnt tell me anythin and ive already tried killin the bootup stuff and chkdsk but i tried the chkdsk again taday and 3 outta the 4 drives are runnin on startup... they finished earlier and i was like that was a waste of time cuz it only took like 4 hrs and as it restarted... it started the chkdsk again.... so if i ever get to get on my desktop again ill let yall know what happens
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Calm down, and use punctuation. It's hard to read posts with no sentences.
Cairtorm
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Cairtorm »

You might have problem with the welds (maybe not the weld, but something else that I don't remember the name, starts with D I think)... Sometimes they screw up and the computer will randomly have some weird stuff, to not even working at all... But that is something that I don't even know if you can fix...
stunts7058
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by stunts7058 »

well after it ran through its second 4 hrs of chkdsk it turned back on. so im pretty much right back where i started again minus about 15 programs i never used and plus bootvis. its just kinda confusing because windows is all loaded up right off like normal, but it doesnt allow me to use the main desktop GUI. as before stated if i plug in an external and use the autorun to open explorer i can do w/e i want on it or any of my secondary drives as long as i stay away from the main hd. i still dont get what goin on but it looks like unless i want to completely reinstall im gonna haveta live with it...
Cairtorm
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Cairtorm »

You never tried a complete format?