Rick Hendrick Buys First Retail 2011 Corvette Z06 Carbon

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rick Hendrick Buys First Retail 2011 Corvette Z06 Carbon

Post by Apoptosis »

Was catching up on e-mails and got this in this week:
NASCAR's Rick Hendrick Purchases First Retail 2011 Corvette Z06 Carbon

Saturday, April 3 at the Barrett-Jackson Auction in Palm Beach, NASCAR team owner Rick Hendrick purchased the first retail (VIN 001) 2011 Corvette Z06 Carbon limited edition for $270,000 ($297,000 with buyers commission). With his purchase, Rick will have the opportunity to watch his Corvette being built at the GM Bowling Green Assembly Plant (Buyer's Tour).

Rick and his drivers Jeff Gordon and Jimmy Johnson are no strangers to the National Corvette Museum. They participated in the highly acclaimed R8C Delivery Program in 2008 to take delivery of their 2009 ZR1s!
2011 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Carbon
2011 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Carbon
x11chcr001opt.jpg (43.26 KiB) Viewed 5149 times
For the truly hard-core Corvette fanatic who likes to spend weekends thrashing his or her car at the track, there is only one Corvette worthy of consideration: the Z06. However, thanks to the ZR1, the lightweight, normally aspirated 7.0-liter coupe is no longer the absolute quickest Vette, but it is felt to have the most responsive handling. What it doesn't have is the uber-cool carbon-ceramic brakes, carbon-fiber body panels and magnetic ride active damping system of its supercharged sibling. That can now be changed to past tense with the birth of the Z06 Carbon edition announced today by General Motors.

The Z06 Carbon was created to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the first appearance of the Corvette at the 24 Hours of Le Mans when John Fitch and Briggs Cunningham won their class and finished eighth overall. The Carbon edition is essentially a Z06 with a ZR1 chassis and some of the carbon skin. When production starts this fall, only 500 examples will be made and they will only come in two colors, Inferno Orange and Supersonic Blue. All examples get black-painted wheels and a black interior upholstered in leather and suede.

One element unique to the Z06 Carbon is its hood. The profile of the new carbon fiber hood is identical to that on the ZR1 but without a transparent window. That makes it the lightest hood ever on a Corvette and, according to chief engineer Tadge Juechter, it truly is a featherweight. ZR1 owners looking to swap out their hoods will be disappointed to learn that the Carbon hood will not fit their cars. Because of the absent window, the Z06 hood has different structure underneath that won't clear the ZR1 engine's intercooler.

The splitter, rocker extensions and roof of the Carbon are painted black instead of the super-expensive clear-coat used on the ZR1. The headlamp pockets and wheels are also painted a glossy black giving the Carbon a decidedly sinister appearance, particularly with the steel blue paint combination.

According to Juechter, the upgraded suspension and brakes give the Z06 a real boost on the track too. Even with the same powertrain, the Corvette circulates both Laguna Seca and the Milford Road Course three seconds a lap faster than a 2010 Z06. The addition of the magnetic ride damping system should also make the Z06 Carbon more livable on the road as well.

For those who don't manage to get one of the 500 Carbon editions, most of the good bits will be available as part of two option packages available for 2011 models. The Z07 package provides all the mechanical goodness of the Brembo brake system, wheels and tires and the MR suspension. The carbon fiber package includes the splitter, sill extensions and rear lip spoiler. Unfortunately, the hood is only available on the 500 limited edition cars. The Carbon and new option packages go on sale in late summer at prices that will be announced closer to launch date, so stay tuned.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
stunts7058
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Re: Rick Hendrick Buys First Retail 2011 Corvette Z06 Carbon

Post by stunts7058 »

things like this make me wish i was rich...
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

stunts7058 wrote:things like this make me wish i was rich...
yeah, i hate blue cars... this one i like... the blacked out head lights and wheels and dark blue look slick.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Its still a Vet
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
stunts7058
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by stunts7058 »

lol id take it if it was hot pink its a freakin vette lol
bigblockmatt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by bigblockmatt »

ill take it any color you want to give it to me in and i will drive it with a big smile on my face!
comp specs- too lazy to make a cool looking sig... MB:GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P, AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition 2.8Ghz, CORSAIR TW3X4G1333C9DHX 4GB PC3-10666, ASUS Radeon HD 4870 512MB, SB audigy gamer, WESTERN DIGITAL Caviar Black 500GB, antec P180 case (extra 120mm fan and 80mm fan), Corsair HX Series 620W: ASSEMBLED June 2009
hark
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hark »

That is one sweet looking car. I love the colour.
iseeman
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by iseeman »

dam thats is a sexy car..i always had a special liking for this car
DL13
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DL13 »

That's a sweet car but I'm happy with my JEEP :mrgreen:
Gigabyte MA790FXTA-UD5 / Phenom II X3 720 @ 3.41Mhz / Mushkin 2X2GB 1333 / XFX 5870 1GB / Cooler Master HAF 932 / Win 7 Pro 64 / ACER G24 LCD 24"