Stolen XFX 5970 Black Edition Limited Card #68

Forum for all the AMD (Previously ATI) video cards from the past, present and future!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Stolen XFX 5970 Black Edition Limited Card #68

Post by Apoptosis »

XFX recently sent out an e-blast to all their customers about the stolen 5970 Black Edition Limited Video Card. It would appear that card number #68 has been stolen....
Dear XFX Customers,

In light of recent events, we have come to suspect that one of our 5970 Black Edition Limited cards may have been compromised. In our current inventory check of this limited run of 1,000 individually serialized pieces, #68 has been unaccounted for. Due to evidence of a security breach in our facility, we believe it to have been illegally obtained as the product has yet been released per the embargo date. Please be aware that the person responsible will be subject to persecution by law. If any news can be provided to lead us to the apprehension of the suspect, or you can provide us with any information, please report it to [email protected]. Please do not attempt to buy, trade, or barter for this unit. We thank you for your cooperation and apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Sincerely,
XFX
image001.png
Looks like it showed up here - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 500wt_1155

Current bid is over $5,000!!!!
ebay0.jpg
ebay0.jpg (18.47 KiB) Viewed 8094 times
ebay1.jpg
ebay1.jpg (23.58 KiB) Viewed 8094 times
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
imallupinya
Legit User
Legit User

Re: Stolen XFX 5970 Black Edition Limited Card #68

Post by imallupinya »

Sorry but with the tech support XfX has, i would not bid 5 bucks or take it if it was free! [-X
FeRaL
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by FeRaL »

LOL, anyone who buys that card is going to be in deep do-do... Buying stolen property in California is a crime in and of its own. If you are in a different state it turns into a federal crime... About the only safe bet would be to buy it if you were in a different country, though I doubt it would make it out of US Customs...
Dizz01
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Dizz01 »

I have an xfx 5770 and I've never had to call xfx for customer support on this or previous xfx products. With that said, this whole thing is ridiculous. Any gamer/enthusiast with any respect for developers would never buy this thing.

Although it is AMAZING, it's completely illegal and pretty weak.
AMD Phenom II x6 1075T @3.3▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂Three Hundred Antec Case
Asus M4A785TD M-EVO▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂500w OCZ Modular PSU
Noctua CPU Cooler▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂500Gig WD HDD
4Gig OCZ Gold Edition 1600 Ram▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂ASUS ATI 7770 2GIG!
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Maybe they should check with maxoverclock. They seem to be adept at stealing. :lol:
Joe
FeRaL
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by FeRaL »

LoL, it appears there is a youtube video and this is all a marketing scheme...
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

FeRaL wrote:LoL, it appears there is a youtube video and this is all a marketing scheme...
yeah it's on the ebay post if you read it... just viral marketing ;)
Follow Me on Twitter!
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

This listing (120559794004) has been removed, or this item is not available.

* Please check that you've entered the correct item number
* Listings that have ended 90 or more days ago will not be available for viewing.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
FeRaL
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by FeRaL »

I would be pissed off if I was ebay and would look into suing XFX for using their service for something other than it was intended to be used as. Not that they would have much of a chance in winning, but they would at least make a point of it and it would cost XFX some legal costs to defend. Then I would be in their terms of service that the use of ebay as part of a marketing campaign is prohibited and that the would sue people for doing so. But then again, maybe they already knew...
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

It looks like XFX has started their SECRET WEAPON web series! The marketing company behind the videos sent us an e-mail and explained that they have expanded their original 'stolen' XFX Radeon HD 5970 Black Edition Limited graphics card campaign with an online action series. The boundaries between what was reality and fiction were blurred in two "lost tape" style videos as well as a real eBay auction, and a personal Facebook page and YouTube account for one of the characters in the video. Now fans can follow up with the story as it continues on YouTube!

The video series is called Secret Weapon. There will be new episodes featured on XFX's YouTube page as well as a brand new website made for the series (coming soon!). The Secret Weapon Series features Robby, Charlie, and Madeline on a thrilling and humorous quest as they escape captivity, fight to survive and travel across the world on dangerous missions. While fans can view the series cinematically, there will also be episodes filmed by Robby using his hand-held camera. Viewers get to choose how they want to watch! Also, gamers will appreciate a new level of interactivity as the videos will also feature hidden annotations (easter eggs) that link to secret, unlisted videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS5p6T_V4BA
Follow Me on Twitter!
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Man, who has time to follow all of this?
Joe