new nintendo controlers

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

new nintendo controlers

Post by -mogwai »

http://media.cube.ign.com/articles/651/ ... 73863.html

wtf? how is this functional? i mean, i get having the joystick it's own piece... i can understand that. but i don't get what's going on with the right-hand piece.

i also don't understand why a girl with finely manicured hands is modeling it.
Zelig
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zelig »

You point it and rotate it on screen.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3143782

There's an article that expalins how it's used, I actually think it looks really cool, even though I've never owned a console.
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

ok, but still.. you don't have the button functionality. that's the main thing i'm talking about...
EvilCloudStrife
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by EvilCloudStrife »

i wish nintendo would learn that no matter what crazy controllers it comes up with, in the end third party support is all that matter.. in short, they need better games! geeze...
Kevin007
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Kevin007 »

wtf?
Yuriman
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Yuriman »

I have no idea whether to puke, or applaud.

@Games: I have always liked Nintendo games, there really aren't too many third party games on a console I would spend money on. Halo pretty well sold XBox, I doubt M$ would have sold a tenth of what they did without it.
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

Kevin007 wrote:wtf?
lol, my thoughts exactly!
And there doesn't seem like there are enough buttons and they are really spread out for just your right thumb...
I dunno about this one Nintendo... :?
Kemot
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Kemot »

I think the new controllers is a great thing. Someone probobly mentioned this before, but all the "next gen" consoles, are pretty much the same thing but with better graphics. So I love the direction Nintendo is going. Imagine all the possibilites, and I think this is ONE step closer, to actually being in the game. 8)
shwA
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by shwA »

I don't know...the controllers seem kinda cool. Really, I'm just gonna have to wait and actually use it before I make my decision. Kudos to Nintendo for trying something new at the very least. Whether its amazing, or it bombs, at least they're trying to keep things new.
Yuriman
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Yuriman »

Nintendo seems full of ideas, lately. The DS is rather interesting... but what drives them to the frontiers? Is Nintendo hurting, or are they just a little crazy?
Cyberdyne
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Cyberdyne »

I commend Nintendo for taking a bold step out there. I think the new technology will make for some very interesting and fun games. The keyword is fun. I'm sure most of us here are big PC gamers and have you noticed how there are pretty much only 3 types of games for us to play? There is every possible conceivable MMORPG , RTS's and rehash after rehash of WW2 FPS's.
Now, although I do enjoy my PC games, I'm starving for something new, and innovative.
It would also be nice for my mom and dad to pick up the remote/controller and be able to play along by flicking their wrist, or pointing. What Nintendo is trying to do is bring video gaming to the masses. My mom is not going to try to figure how to use any of the controllers out now- they are too intimidating. I'm looking forward to what games 3rd party developers come up with to compliment the new system.
/rant
Last edited by Cyberdyne on Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

Sorry but all i can say is look over their track history, most of the "innovative" controlers they have come out with have been total flops. This looks like yet another one.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
Virusx86
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Virusx86 »

I'm pretty sure the engineers at nintendo were really behind schedule, and the day before the design was due someone brought over the first season of Family guy and a few pizzas which caused everyone to be distracted. As they were sitting around at 4:45 in the morning wondering what they would tell Miyamoto in 4 hours, one of them held up the remote for the TV they had watched Family guy on and said "You guys all saw the DS, he'll probably think this is genius!" And so it went.
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by NAiLs »

I too am rather disappointed with this controller. First thing you gotta remember though, the ETA isn't until Late '06, which is some time to come up with a new design. I'm sure they're reading peoples feedback on it and notice that some people think it's the coolest thing ever made, some people think it's a cool idea and won't stick, and where many think it's the dumbest thing they could ever come up with. Yeah, Late '06 doesn't mean they have 12 months, but I think they have a good 4 months to come up with something to help out developers and to get ready for E3.

I just hope the system doesn't come with that ugly thing, that's all I gotta say. If it does, I'm not buying the system and may invest in a PS3 or an XBox. I might even just build a new computer...
"Bow down before the one you serve! You're going to get what you deserve!" - |\| | |/|