Asus z70Va

A place to talk about all things mobile
pascar
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Asus z70Va

Post by pascar »

Hi, love the write-up on "building your own Sonoma Notebook"
I'm a computer science major at Chico State here in California and its time to retire my old Sony notebook. I was set on either voodoo pc or alienware until I found this site. $3000+ for a new notebook wasn't cutting it, I have built several desktops in the past and have decided that this might be my best route.
Anyway back to my question, does anyone have experience with Asus's z70Va barebone? From the Google searching I've done today, this one might have higher performance. At a higher price, yes. I do love my Counter Strike: Source, it always comes first before school :P
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

I just built a Asus monday on the Z71 platform, its basicly the same, just an updated revision, i would recomend it over the Z70 for that reason alone.

Now are you asking is spending 3000 on the voodoo/alienware vs building a z71 interms of performance?
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I like the ASUS Z70Va notebook. The Z70Va features the ATI X700 mobile processor, which puts up some really great bencmark numbers and features monthly ATI Mobile CATALYST updates.

Benchmarking the Z70Va versus Z70V on 3dmark 2005 shows numbers like this with a 2GHz Dothan:

ASUS Z70Va: 2400
ASUS Z70V: 2000

Pick the notebook by what video card you want to run!
ebolamonkey
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by ebolamonkey »

ive got a z70va... if youve got any specific questions, fire away.

although i havent run many benchies, i can verify that 3dmark2005 scores are around 2400~2500 range at stock X700 speeds (350/300 core/mem) and a 2.0GHz dothan. half life 2 is quite smooth at native res (1680x1050) with high graphics settings in not so crowded areas (only messed around at the beginning). battery life on the main battery ranges from 2 to 3:30 hours. doesnt look so bad either.
Cyberdyne
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Cyberdyne »

ebolamonkey- Have you played Bf2 on your system yet. I am curious to see how that runs.