Editorial: What’s Wrong with the Apple TV?

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

In our previous Apple TV article, we un-boxed the A-TV and detailed what you would need to do to get your media files to play. Basically, once you have them in a ‘container’ that iTunes can understand (MP3, M4A) you would drop and drag them into iTunes so that they are visible to Apple TV. You have to convert non-iTunes-compatible files by using a third-party converters like Super and Handbrake to allow iTunes to catalog the media. Read on to hear Ken's thoughts on the latest Apple TV!

Apple, you really let me down. I hope your new OS update will include something that people want and will set you apart. Maybe include Hulu access and playback, or at least being able to watch the network streams of current shows instead of trying to gouge viewers by charging $1 for the latest episode of Glee…you know the same episode that I can watch for free anytime with a browser and laptop. I don’t even like the Apple TV remote as it doesn’t have TV volume, mute, or power so now I have to have my hands on at least two remotes when I'm watching a movie.
Article Title: Editorial: What’s Wrong with the Apple TV? @ Legit Reviews
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1438/1/
Pricing At Time of Print: $99.99 plus shipping
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Editorial: What’s Wrong with the Apple TV?

Post by Major_A »

The biggest issue here is the .mov extension. Then couple that with having to add everything to iTunes. While Handbrake is easy to use and is very core aware all this still takes time. Time that most people aren't willing to put into it. Then you have to have a machine with enough disk space to store those MOV files. The one hardware issue that bothers me is the lone firewire port. If it was a USB port and supported direct play/detection then this box might have more going for it. Right now though, thanks to that chart, it doesn't hold any of the other player's jock strap.
El_Capitan
Legit User
Legit User

Post by El_Capitan »

Don't you know, if you hate any Apple product, you're an Apple hater? No need to sugar coat it. It won't give you any points to the Apple fanboys. :axe:
ckthecerealkiller
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by ckthecerealkiller »

I was kinda trying to stay neutral on the whole review when I read the title. I even tried to take every listed flaw in the review in stride. I was trying to give Apple the benefit of the doubt the whole way through the review and I consider myself a big apple hater (surprising huh). Then I saw the comparison chart and crapped myself. That is downright terrible.

Oh and I think the netflix "recent release" thing meant it was new to netflix instant streaming. Not likely the fault of the device, but netflix.
Digital Puppy

Post by Digital Puppy »

El_Capitan wrote:Don't you know, if you hate any Apple product, you're an Apple hater? No need to sugar coat it. It won't give you any points to the Apple fanboys. :axe:
Yeah...I know...been getting a variety of e-mail today both positive and negative, but I had to share this one:
I am going to keep this simple; Not only do you NOT get the whole point of the Apple TV but your review, out of EVERY online and print review I have read, which is dozens, has to be the most biased and flawed I have read. It says a lot about someones intelligence when someone uses a term like fanboi (BTW moron, it always has been, and always will be fanboy. Me thinks you like to listen to Avril Lavingne and try too much to be hip. Probably use the word uber as well). All in all, THE WORST review I have read on the AppleTV. BTW, I stream through my PS3 (I have used and tested about 20 media streamers thus far), and am NOT an Apple fanboy. Although I do have a top of the line Hackintosh.
Doesn't look like he knows the point of Apple TV either. :roll:
Just a little puppy trying to make it in a big digital world.
skier

Post by skier »

Digital Puppy wrote:
I am going to keep this simple; Not only do you NOT get the whole point of the Apple TV but your review, out of EVERY online and print review I have read, which is dozens, has to be the most biased and flawed I have read. It says a lot about someones intelligence when someone uses a term like fanboi (BTW moron, it always has been, and always will be fanboy. Me thinks you like to listen to Avril Lavingne and try too much to be hip. Probably use the word uber as well). All in all, THE WORST review I have read on the AppleTV. BTW, I stream through my PS3 (I have used and tested about 20 media streamers thus far), and am NOT an Apple fanboy. Although I do have a top of the line Hackintosh.
well at least you get a laugh :lol:
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
hnzw_rui
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hnzw_rui »

I'm not buying an Apple TV (walled garden and all that) but I have to say the article does sound like a rant. Apple likes its closed environment. I don't see how you can buy an Apple product and expect to be able to play MKV or God-forbid, even AVI on it. Apple has never included support for AVI, MKV, OGG, FLAC, etc in their iPods. There's really no reason not to expect the same from the Apple TV.

The complaint about the lack of Iron Man 2 should be against Netflix, but you can't really hold Netflix accountable for it either. They're trying to get content on their instant streaming service. The studios just won't allow them. Another thing, you pay $9 (+tax) a month for "unlimited" DVD rentals. Add an extra $2 if you want Blu-ray. With mailing and stuff, realistically, that's 4~5 disc rentals per month. The instant streaming service is just a freebie.

Granted, the article is an editorial so maybe the rant-like tone can be excused. Heck, if I were forced to deal with the Apple TV, I'd probably just chuck it straight into a wastebasket. Hmm, then again maybe not... There's lots of Apple faithful whom I can offload it to on eBay. :P
File Server/Media Encoder/PVR PC
Antec P182 / Corsair 550VX / Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R / Core 2 Duo E7200 @ 2.53 / Wintec AMPX 2x2GB DDR2 800 / Sapphire 100233L Radeon HD 3450 / WD Caviar SE16 750GB x3 / WD Caviar GP 750GB / Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7190A x2 / XP Pro SP2

unRAID Server
Antec 300 / Corsair 520HX / Abit AB9 Pro / Celeron 430 @ 1.80 / Kingston ValueRAM 2x1GB DDR2 667 / ATI Rage XL / Seagate 7200.11 1.5TB x9 / unRAID 4.3.3
El_Capitan
Legit User
Legit User

Post by El_Capitan »

Digital Puppy wrote:
El_Capitan wrote:Don't you know, if you hate any Apple product, you're an Apple hater? No need to sugar coat it. It won't give you any points to the Apple fanboys. :axe:
Yeah...I know...been getting a variety of e-mail today both positive and negative, but I had to share this one:
Attack, attack, attack. That's how Apple fanboys defend their products. It's not THEM, by golly, that doesn't get the whole point of Apple TV, and it's not THEM that's biased. Attack, attack, attack. Mac vs. PC. Yabber, yabber, yabber.

The review was actually the first review I ever read that didn't give a crap about what the Apple fanboys would react, and I have to give kudos for that. I agree with every point made in the review. I don't hate Apple, just the fanboys.
skier

Post by skier »

i'm a hater, and proud of it, they're too expensive for me, i try to get mp3 players that specifically don't look like ipods, because look-alikes confuse people that have ipods haha
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

Hey we want (nay, DEMAND! lol ) to know the bad with the good, if you only extolled the positives it would be a shill piece, not a review. Due to its lack of compatibility I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot yugo.

Keep up the good work!
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
BrianG
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by BrianG »

Excellent article Ken. Can I borrow your Avril Lavigne CD's?
Digital Puppy

Post by Digital Puppy »

BrianG wrote:Excellent article Ken. Can I borrow your Avril Lavigne CD's?
LOL!!!

You are killing me, Brian!!!

:lol:
Just a little puppy trying to make it in a big digital world.
INeedAFnSuffix
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by INeedAFnSuffix »

I'm a "them haters" :lol:
Everything i want , has to look totally different from a apple product O:)
It's true , it's the fanboys we hate .
They go about ranting how "good" their stuffs are and , when it comes to reviews , they go on the defensive .
Wait , how much did the iPhone 4 cost when it came out ? :ANAL:
hnzw_rui
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hnzw_rui »

$200 with a 2-year contract on AT&T. Think it was $600 off contract. If you actually pay full price for phones, that's on par with other smartphones.
File Server/Media Encoder/PVR PC
Antec P182 / Corsair 550VX / Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R / Core 2 Duo E7200 @ 2.53 / Wintec AMPX 2x2GB DDR2 800 / Sapphire 100233L Radeon HD 3450 / WD Caviar SE16 750GB x3 / WD Caviar GP 750GB / Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7190A x2 / XP Pro SP2

unRAID Server
Antec 300 / Corsair 520HX / Abit AB9 Pro / Celeron 430 @ 1.80 / Kingston ValueRAM 2x1GB DDR2 667 / ATI Rage XL / Seagate 7200.11 1.5TB x9 / unRAID 4.3.3
INeedAFnSuffix
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by INeedAFnSuffix »

IT's price is way overbloated here in SG ,
a equivalent-performance WM / Android cost me 300$ LESS . Yes . 300 $ SGD .
That's already 1 bummer that i always hated about APPLE .

(Without contract i still have to pay 900$ for the iPhone 3GS 16GB)
As i compare that to my M10 , i paid 532$ for 4GB + a sweet 32 GB SD ;)