Any other chasis manufacturer other than Asus?

A place to talk about all things mobile
tnynyn
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Any other chasis manufacturer other than Asus?

Post by tnynyn »

Does anyone know if any other companies makes chasis? Asus is ok and all, but their price tag is pretty high...
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

MSI, Compal, Aopen, Arima, Mitac... the list is huge

What are you looking to build?
pabrimmer
Legit User
Legit User

Post by pabrimmer »

My requirements are pretty modest, but I do want a 15.4" WXGA+ screen and a PCI Express module so I can upgrade the video card as I like. My previous notebook , a Compaq, had a 1.7 Ghz Athlon XP-M and an nVidia GeForce Go 4 with only 32Mb of memory. It always handled all the work applications I needed it to, and after I put in a gig of memory, it handled my guilty pleasure, WoW :oops: , and all the other gaming I wanted to do just fine.

I'm wondering what the advantage is with ASUS over the other manufacturers, since people here seem to be more enthusiastic about that company. From taking a quick look at the others you mentioned, I could probably get what I want from any of them (except AOpen doesn't seem to have a 15.4 model). Does anyone have any comments on considerations other than price when comparing the manufacturers?
Donde esta the hotel we're staying at?
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

Asus is just easier to find, and they are very simple to build. They also come with decent support.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
tnynyn
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by tnynyn »

most of the chasis is 15 in, Id like something for portable use something around the 12-14 inches...
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

well the reason i went with the asus z63a was because of the price tag and size. I got alot for $1300

Asus z63a, 5lbs 14" WS 1280x768 ultrabright LCD
1.7 @ 2.26ghz intel P-M
1gb pc2 4300
8x DL dvd-rw
100gb seagate HD
second battery

with all this i get about 9hrs of batter life so i can make it through a full day of classes with out needing to sit in the back of the room just to plug in my laptop. really i feel like i got a great deal for all this, its light weight powerful good looking and did not cost me an arm and a leg.
Last edited by infinitevalence on Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pabrimmer
Legit User
Legit User

Post by pabrimmer »

Honestly, I am really tempted to go for the 12.1" screen instead of the 15.4", because I know I'm going to be taking the new machine to class next year. For most of my gaming I could just hook it up to a monitor at home, but I'm just not sure if I could deal with the smaller screen for the occasions that I'm gaming while out and about.
pabrimmer
Legit User
Legit User

Post by pabrimmer »

infinitevalence wrote:Asus z63a, 5lbs 12.1 WS 1280x768 ultrabright LCD
http://usa.asus.com/products2.aspx?l1=5&l2=61

ASUS lists the z63a as being a 14" widescreen. Is this correct? I might be able to live with that size.
tnynyn
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by tnynyn »

yes, it is indeed a 14.1, the Z33A is the 12.1 model.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

woops sorry my bad, i can never remmeber all the specs :)
pabrimmer
Legit User
Legit User

Post by pabrimmer »

:)

Ah well, it's kind of a moot point for me anyway, since it appears that none of the 14" or 12.1" size models have the pci express slot. I really want to be able to upgrade the gpu eventually.
kronchev
Legit User
Legit User

Post by kronchev »

please note that even thought it has a slot, its iffy if youll be able to actually upgrade the video...theres some post on these forums that has a side by side of the 6200 to 6800 GO's and the size difference is huge...who knows what nextgen ones will be like. thats the one major component that is not standarized and really REALLY should be, across notebooks and card types/manufacturers

/edit: I heart my MSI 1012. Its small and very fast. Put 768 of RAM, 80 gig harddrive, and 1.86 533 P-M, and the thing flies. However if I could do it again, I'd take the 1013 (i think thats the number), its the exact same thing, but uses AMD Turion processors, which are faster and better battery life under stress (but the P-M wins at light usage battery life by about 30 minutes).

It'd be nice if there was a 12.1 inch with good graphics...but the one thats here is better than on my home system (GF2 MX400), and I dont do much PC gaming anymore
slimnutty
Legit User
Legit User

Post by slimnutty »

I dont know if you're still looking for a chassis, but have you checked out abs.com? People seem to like that site when i recommend it to them for Notebook Chassis. They have a diy section and a pretty wide selection after merging with coboc.com.
http://www.abspc.com/diy/notebookdiy.asp