ASUS P8P67 and P8P67 Deluxe Intel Sandy Bridge Motherboards

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

ASUS P8P67 and P8P67 Deluxe Intel Sandy Bridge Motherboards

Post by Apoptosis »

ASUS P8P67 and P8P67 Deluxe Intel Sandy Bridge Motherboard Review

Now that the N.D.A.'s have been lifted, we can give you the low down on the new Intel P67 chipset A.K.A. Sandy Bridge. In this article we will take a look at two new ASUS P67 motherboards. The first motherboard is the entry level ASUS P8P67. The ASUS P8P67 features USB3, SATA6, and CrossfireX support. The second board is the top tier of the ASUS P8P67 series, the ASUS P8P67 Deluxe has all the features of the ASUS P8P67 plus SLI, a 16+2 phase power design and more! How will it perform against the Intel P55 system? Read on to find out!

Article Title: ASUS P8P67 and P8P67 Deluxe Intel Sandy Bridge Motherboard Review
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1500/1/
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Lehmann
Legit User
Legit User

Re: ASUS P8P67 and P8P67 Deluxe Intel Sandy Bridge Motherboa

Post by Lehmann »

Great review for the most part! Comparing with a i5-661 horrible! only thing that i see that might need to be mentioned is bandwidth compared to a p55 with a i7 and 200 baseclock. Soo out of the box it might be better than a stock p55 setup but thats all you get.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Intel Core i5-661 [3.33GHz clock speed] was $196 when launched on 1/3/2010
Intel Core i5-655K [3.20GHz clock speed] was $216 when launched on 5/28/2010
Intel Core i5-2500K [3.33GHz clock speed] was $216 when launch on 1/3/2011

These are the equivalent processors in this price range and the overall clock speeds are the same.

I spoke with Intel engineers and asked them "What would be the best CPU to compare the 2500 to from your point of view when it comes to performance only?" This was their answer:
For the Core i5-2500K I would recommend comparing vs the previous generation Core i5-655K.
For the Core i7-2600K I would recommend comparing vs the previous generation Core i7-875K.
Follow Me on Twitter!
FAHall
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by FAHall »

Thanks for the excellent review. Very thorough, and almost sold me on this board.

I've got a couple of questions about the p8p67 board before being completely sold:

1. How many fan headers does the board have? I'm going to have 4 fans in my new case... will I be able to plug them all into the mobo?

2. The official ASUS site claims that these Mobos can utilize up to 32gb of memory (I assume 4x8gb sticks), but in the review you said they had a max of 16gb. Can you please confirm which answer is correct? I won't be using that much now, but it would be a big selling point for this board if it will expand all the way up to 32gb of RAM in the future (when 8gb ram sticks cost what 4gb sticks cost now). I know Windows 7 Home Premium has a limit of 16gb, but I will be using professional which has a limit of 192gb or something nutty like that.

Thanks again for the review!

-Alex
TheThxxxxx
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by TheThxxxxx »

Good review, but I've some questions:
- SATA6 performance: on the Marvel or Intel ports?
- did you test optical drive on the Marvel port? The 9128 spec sheet seems to support it, but according to the motherboard manual, only data drives are supported, not ATAPI ones... It's pretty confusing, isn't it?
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

TheThxxxxx wrote:Good review, but I've some questions:
- SATA6 performance: on the Marvel or Intel ports?
- did you test optical drive on the Marvel port? The 9128 spec sheet seems to support it, but according to the motherboard manual, only data drives are supported, not ATAPI ones... It's pretty confusing, isn't it?
Thanks,
We used the Intel ports for our testing, not all of the P67 boards out there are going to have the marvell chip so for consistancy we used the Intel ports. As for optical drive's no I didn't test one on the Marvel chipset.
FAHall wrote:Thanks for the excellent review. Very thorough, and almost sold me on this board.

I've got a couple of questions about the p8p67 board before being completely sold:

1. How many fan headers does the board have? I'm going to have 4 fans in my new case... will I be able to plug them all into the mobo?

2. The official ASUS site claims that these Mobos can utilize up to 32gb of memory (I assume 4x8gb sticks), but in the review you said they had a max of 16gb. Can you please confirm which answer is correct? I won't be using that much now, but it would be a big selling point for this board if it will expand all the way up to 32gb of RAM in the future (when 8gb ram sticks cost what 4gb sticks cost now). I know Windows 7 Home Premium has a limit of 16gb, but I will be using professional which has a limit of 192gb or something nutty like that.

Thanks again for the review!

-Alex
Alex,
If you are including the cpu fan in your four fan total, then yes you will have enough as the ASUS P8P67 has four fan headers. As for the memory concerns I will see what I can find out once I get home, Currently in Las Vegas for CES 2011

Dan
Lt Ohio
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Lt Ohio »

I want to use this motherboard with SLI'd 570's but on the product information page it has a crossfire bridge, does that matter?
My rig.
Asus M4A79XTD-Evo motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 4850
AMD Phenom II x2 550 BE cpu / Hyper N 520 cpu cooler
Crucial Ballistx ddr3 1333
Corsair TX 750
160 gb hdd
asus dvd burner
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

You can only run SLI on the P8P67 Deluxe Board, I thought it came with an SLI bridge though.
Follow Me on Twitter!
rrplay
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by rrplay »

Thanks for the great review and pointing out the different features .
You can only run SLI on the P8P67 Deluxe Board, I thought it came with an SLI bridge though.
Almost missed the info regarding the lack of SLI capabilities of the Pro version.
thanks