blue screen of death!!

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
mjc928
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

blue screen of death!!

Post by mjc928 »

Hi everyone. Well I got the bsod. What I find odd about it is that I just built my new machine over the weekend, all my parts are new. Here is the error message: STOP 0x000000D1 DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. I've done some research and from what I've read it's driver related. More specifically mouse/keyboard. I did have a logitech wireless mouse that I unplugged and put a usb mouse in but it still happens. The times I'm having issues is when I try using dragon age origins (though I don't have any other programs installed aside from my antivirus).
Here are my system specs:
Asus hd6970
crosshair extreme mobo
phenom 1100t
corsair dominator 8gb (2x4gb)
thermaltake tr2 rx 1200w psu
wd caviar black 1tb
asus dvd-rom/writer
in win dragon rider full tower
I'm running the 64bit version of windows 7.
I'm about to use ccleaner on my registry. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
skier

Re: blue screen of death!!

Post by skier »

have you overclocked?

have you verified the RAM as running the rated speed or timings?
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
mjc928
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by mjc928 »

No overclocking yet. Not sure how to check the if the ram ie running at the correct speeds or timing.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Windows update?
mjc928
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by mjc928 »

vbironchef wrote:Windows update?
I've been up to date with it.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Try reinstaling windows 7. If it gives you the same then I'm thinking it's your harddrive. If you have your harddrive connected to sata 6 connector try putting the sata 3 connector instead. When I buildt a rig for my sister I ran into the same issue. I also noticed that the same harddrive that you have I put in my sisters rig. That harddrive ran really so when I had it connected to sata 6. All was fixed when I went to the sata 3 connector. Harddrive ran faster and more stable. Don't know why.
mjc928
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by mjc928 »

I'll give all that a shot. How do I know which is the sata 3 or 6?
Sowser
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Sowser »

It looks like Microsoft has a hotfix here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817789
Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

That's for Windows Server 2003. When you get random Blue Screens and lockups it's usually either...
A) Bad driver(s)
B) Unstable/Bad RAM
C) BIOS update

Are you running an enhanced speed profile for your RAM? Are you running the latest BIOS from ASUS? Might address compatibility issues with your RAM or CPU.

From ASUS' Website concerning the BIOS history of the Crosshair IV Extreme:
Version 0502
Description Crosshair IV Extreme 0502 BIOS
Improve system stability
File Size 942.58 (KBytes) 2010/11/19 update

Version 0406
Description Crosshair IV Extreme 0406
Improve system stability
File Size 942.91 (KBytes) 2010/11/09 update

Version 0243
Description Crosshair IV Extreme 0243 BIOS
First release BIOS
File Size 942.58 (KBytes) 2010/08/27 update
mjc928
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by mjc928 »

Not running anything enhanced for my ram. I'll try the bios update. Maybe that would do the trick.
mjc928
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by mjc928 »

well I updated the bios and I'm still having a problem. Do you think it might be the games compatibility with windows 7? The only time my comp crashes is when I try downloading content for the game. It says that it can be played on 7 but it doesn't specify 32x or 64x. The game btw is dragon age origins/awakening.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Have you tried running it in a different Compatibility Mode?

The error specifically states that it's a driver that keeps crashing. Since this happens when you download have you checked for updated NIC drivers? It seems like with the last Catalyst driver there was a hotfix that rolled out for it too. I just looked up the specs for your board, what about the Hydra chip? Do you have it enabled? If so are you running their latest driver?

Link to Marvell's website (your NIC). Search for product 88E8059.
http://www.marvell.com/support.html

Hydra's website:
http://www.lucidlogix.com/driverdownloads.html

Can you download CPU-Z and post a screenshot of the Memory tab so I can look at it?
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
mjc928
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by mjc928 »

Ok so here's the image of the memtab http://www.upload-jpg.com/images.php/da ... u-zmem.png
When I went to update the hydra driver I got an error message saying there wasn't any hyrda hardware installed.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

I guess Hydra isn't enabled in the BIOS, which is a good thing if you aren't using another card (nVidia). Try lowering your RAM to 400MHz in the BIOS and see if you can get the system stable. It might be as simple as raising the DRAM voltage or tweaking a timing. At this point we're just trying to figure out what is causing the crashing.

FYI, if you press Alt+Print Screen it will only take a screenshot of the active window.
mjc928
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by mjc928 »

I changed it to 400mhz per ram but it just crashed as I was watching a you tube vid.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

What about your video card drivers? If you were watching a HD video then it's .mp4 and Flash accelerates the video with your GPU. You're crashing inside a game environment, also GPU.
mjc928
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by mjc928 »

I just installed the latest drivers. I don't have enough time at the moment to start testing so i'll do it tomorrow. Thanks for all your help so far major.
mjc928
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by mjc928 »

So I saw something last night that botheredme but I didn't have enough energy to continue on. What I saw was an nvidia app installed (I went to uninstall programs to delete my ati drivers). So I just checked it and it was gpu drivers! Do you think this could be what's causing my problems?

Ok that driver is linked to the game I'm trying to play so it seems like it needs to be there.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

It's probably nVidia's PhysX driver. Update that too to see if it will help.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx-9.10 ... river.html
mjc928
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by mjc928 »

Well I played my game for about an hour and no crash. Not sure what that means but it seems that things are working.... Though I'll give it some time to see if I still get any blue screens...