Don't know what to look for!!

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Don't know what to look for!!

Post by Major_A »

So what are your plans?
Guru
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Guru »

I have to get a laptop and upgrade my desktop.

Don't know which one to do first..

Also, laptop I'm not sure whether I should get a high-end gaming 17''inch or just a simple one that I can use in class and stuff...

For the desktop part, I want to upgrade but I want to be sure that the upgrade is going to last me at least 2+years..
skier

Post by skier »

Guru wrote:I have to get a laptop and upgrade my desktop.

Don't know which one to do first..

Also, laptop I'm not sure whether I should get a high-end gaming 17''inch or just a simple one that I can use in class and stuff...

For the desktop part, I want to upgrade but I want to be sure that the upgrade is going to last me at least 2+years..
get a net book and spend the extra money on the tower, you don't want to carry a big laptop to classes, trust me.
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

I own a netbook and wouldn't recommend you get one. I got mine for VERY specific reasons.

I was traveling every weekend and I needed something that:
A) Held a charge for a long time.
B) Was light, since I was traveling all the time.
C) Easily fit on an airplane tray with a drink.

From what I can gather 15" laptops are the cheapest models. I don't recommend you pick up a gaming laptop, they are way too expensive for what you get. The only other piece of advice I can give is to get an Intel laptop. Intel has better power states and typically consumes less power than the AMD counterparts.
Guru
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Guru »

Gaming laptop is not a good idea. However, I'm thinking to get either Macbook Pro or IBM laptop(My friend just got one) and he is truly impressed. He got IBM laptop mainly for the school work and he said it gives him 8+hrs on battery. Think pad x201 is what he got..

I never used Macbook Pro so it might be hard to switch to it...
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Speaking of over priced, for the cost of that Macbook you can get a hellacious laptop. Everyone I know that owns a laptop and a desktop by the laptop with good intentions. Eventually the laptop sits in the corner and gets little use.
Guru
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Guru »

I know ...that's what happen with my old laptop...only used it when going to school and stuff.

Went to staples today and I kinda like this http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_s ... xedcode=WW

but it doesn't have a dvd drive :(

Kind of good price as well...but again it's ACER!!