Dead GPU

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Sowser
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Dead GPU

Post by Sowser »

My Sapphire Radeon 4850 x2 2GB gpu died on me last night. I went to the Sapphire web site and I'm still within the two year warranty but it says to go through the initial place of purchase. So I went to the NewEgg web site and they have a 30 day warranty policy. It looks like all of their RMA info is for recently purchased products. I've been really lucky and haven't had to RMA anything or exercise any warranties before. Any advice from people who have had a bit more experience in this area?
Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Dead GPU

Post by Apoptosis »

http://www.newegg.com/HelpInfo/OverView ... ntactUsTab

I'd ping Newegg via the live chat and ask real fast.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
skier

Post by skier »

if its after 30 days call sapphire support (I never use web for warranty questions or RMA, always talk to a person)

if you can't RMA it from sapphire for some reason (you really should be able to) it's time for DX11 8)
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
pwcmed
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pwcmed »

I've had to RMA 2 sapphire videos card and was easier than I thought. The way I started my RMA was to start a ticket at this website http://support.sapphiretech.com/present ... login.aspx I got a response to contact this email [email protected] and after I went back forth with a couple bios updates they told to send my info to [email protected].

RMA form

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Wz5 ... =CIjZ2pAE#

This was the last email before I sent the RMA info.
Please fill out the attached RMA Return Authorization Form and send it back to [email protected] or fax to 909-594-9771 with a copy of the original purchase invoice/sales receipt in order to process your RMA request.

Once we receive both of them, we will verify the warranty of your Sapphire video card and get back to you with an assign RMA number. Please do not return any product without an RMA number; otherwise all shipment will be refused.

Serial number starts from letter A or Z with 12 digits next to Made in China.

Made in China AXXXXXXXXXXXX Made in China ZXXXXXXXXXXXX

Sapphire warranty covers free parts and labor only. Users will be responsible for shipping their RMA products to Althonmicro for replacement service. Users are also responsible for providing purchase receipt, without purchase receipt Sapphire/Althonmicro reserves the right to refuse warranty service if the proper documents are not presented. Special request might be evaluated on a case by case basis, processing fee may apply if users do not provide necessary information for warranty service. Additional process fee apply to HI and AK.

Warranty may vary from Country/Region. If your region is not listed, please visit Sapphire website at http://www.sapphiretech.com/us/support/selectregion.php for troubleshooting or RMA services.

Above policy applies to USA region customers only. Althon Micro reserves the right to change this policy without advance notice.

Thank you for the cooperation and if you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

Attention if you are not from the States:

If you are from American Samoa, Federated State of Micronesia, Guam, Marshall Islands, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, Virgin Island, Yukon Northwest Territory, Brazil and Argentina area your processing fee will be US$50

RMA form provided is for above region mentioned. If your region is not listed, please let us know where you are from so we can better assist you.

The above information does not apply to Canada region customer. If you are from Canada region please contact [email protected]. They will be able to assist Canadian region customers.

Thank you.

Tech

[http://www.sapphiretech.com/]

Sapphire Technology
Tech Support Center

280 Paseo Tesoro
Walnut CA 91789
Fax. 1-909-594-9771
http://www.sapphiretech.com

Was in the PDF attached in the email.
Warranty and Return Policy
Return Policy: Repair/Replacement

1. Althon Micro does not offer refund on product(s) not purchased directly from Althon.
Refund claims would need to be processed through the vendor that sold the product,
congruent to their return policy.

2. Products purchased second hand or from an auction site do not carry any warranty.

3. RMA number must be marked on the outside of your return carton box or package will be rejected.

4. Please DO NOT returns any CDs, cable accessories and the retail color box with return shipment.
Use a bubble bag to protect the product is recommended. Full filled the carton box, recommend using
security sealing tape to seal the cartoon box, don’t let the carton box open during transfer.

5. Return product(s) must be in its original form.

6. Make sure your mailing address is correct. Incorrect mailing address will be caused shipment delay and
extra charge. If you're moving, please let us know immediately. To update your mailing address, please
send us an email to [email protected] and include both your previous and new addresses.

7. Please ship return packages back using a carrier that provides tracking and insurance.
Althon Micro, Inc. is not responsible for any lost or damaged returns. Therefore, we highly recommend
that your package be insured with a delivery confirmation.

8. Customer located at military address (APO. etc) is responsible for repaired, replaced or exchanged
product(s) return shipping.

9. Warranty will be voided for the following cases:
. Return product is physically damaged or modified by customer.
. Return product become non-functional due to customer improper use.
. Return product can not be verified as Sapphire product.
. Defacing product labeling (Serial Number/Part Number or its label is damaged or missing)

10. RMA# is valid for 20 days from the date of issue.

11. RMA turn around time is 1-2 weeks after we receive the return product.

12. Replacement Product may include new, remanufactured, or refurbished product and parts.

13. Repaired, replaced or exchanged Product(s) will be warranted for the remainder of the original warranty.

Warranty: 2 Years Limited

1. NEW VGA RETAIL PRODUCT(S) PURCHASED FROM AUTHORIZED RESELLERS:
http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentatio ... psn=000201
Warranty period will be calculated from the date of purchase.

2. NEW VGA RETAIL PRODUCT(S) PURCHASED FROM NON AUTHORIZED RESELLERS:
Warranty period will be calculated from the product manufacturing date. The manufacturing date can
be verified by the serial number found on the product. S/N starts from letter A or Z with 12 digits next
to Made in China. The first four digits of serial # indicate that your video card was manufactured in
XXth week of 20XX.

3. OPEN BOX PRODUCT(S) OR NO INVOICE/SALES RECEIPT COPY PROVIDES:
Warranty period will be calculated from the product manufacturing date. The manufacturing date can be
verified by the serial number found on the product. S/N starts from letter A or Z with 12 digits next to
Made in China. The first four digits of serial # indicate that your video card was manufactured in XXth
week of 200XX. $15.00 processing fee will be applied for RMA service. $15.00 covers one card only.
Any subsequent card will add $5.00 each. Additional process fee may apply to HI and AK.

Date code sample: A0901 1st
week of 2009; Z1001 1st
week of 2010

ABOVE WARRANTY AND RETURN POLICY APPLY TO U.S. REGIONAL CUSTOMERS ONLY.
ALTHON MICRO, INC. RESERVES THE RIGHT TO CHANGE THIS POLICY WITHOUT ADVANCE NOTICE.

Sowser
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Sowser »

When I pulled out my video card last night I found that it had fried between the GPU and ASUS P6T Deluxe motherboard. I have a 850TX Corsair PSU so I don't think the problem came from there. Everything lights up on the MB except the scorched parts so I'm hoping that the RAM and CPU are Ok. So now it looks like I have a video board/mother board problem on my hands. Don't know how this RMA will work without knowing which component started the problem.
Attachments
Mother Board Damage.JPG
GPU Damage.gif
GPU Damage.gif (227.09 KiB) Viewed 6726 times
GPU.JPG
Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.
Sowser
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Sowser »

Since the motherboard is one of the main things that Vista checks when it loads up am I going to have to do a reinstall when I replace the one that was toasted?
skier

Post by skier »

Sowser wrote:Since the motherboard is one of the main things that Vista checks when it loads up am I going to have to do a reinstall when I replace the one that was toasted?
it would be best to reinstall, but you may not be forced to (i'm forced to half the time with 7, but most of my hardware changes are socket and more often CPU changes at the least)
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
Sowser
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Sowser »

Just got news that Sapphire rejected my warranty claim. Since the end of my connectors were scorched in the pictures I sent they blamed it on a power surge and said since my card was physically damaged that my warranty was void. I have a Corsair TX850 which is hooked up to an APC1500 UPS/surge protector. I've tested both since and the power is as clean as can be. You can clearly see on the card where several of the surface mounted components (I'm assuming resistors though it could have been capacitors I suppose) exploded leaving bare copper. The card wasn't even overclocked. When I asked if card failures wouldn't regularly result in physical damage to the card they sent me a Power Point presentation of four pictures with damaged components and said, “If there are any of these marks on your card we will not honor our warranty.” I'm very disappointed with Sapphire and will not be buying any of their products in the future. If you choose to I hope that when and if it fails that there is no physical evidence of why it failed otherwise you'll probably be out of luck like me with a $300 dollar doorstop!
westom
Legit User
Legit User

Post by westom »

Sowser wrote:Just got news that Sapphire rejected my warranty claim. Since the end of my connectors were scorched in the pictures I sent they blamed it on a power surge and said since my card was physically damaged that my warranty was void. I have a Corsair TX850 which is hooked up to an APC1500 UPS/surge protector.
Why do you assume a UPS does surge protection? APC does not make that claim. If they did, post the manufacturer spec numbers that cites protection from each type of surge. Your "UPS provides surge protection" comes from retail myths. Not from facts, electrical knowledge, or those manufacturer specifications.

Worse, a protector too close to electronics and too far from earth ground sometimes makes damage easier.

Your have evidence that APC did no protection. APC does not claim that protection. Sapphire rejected your warranty claim because a surge caused damage. No earth ground means no effective protection. How many facts do you need before a conclusion becomes obvious?

In any location that cannot have surge damage, an effective protector connects as short as possible (ie 'less than 10 feet') to single point earth ground. That reality - the always required short connection to earth ground - applies to every protector. Learn from your mistake and the resulting damage. Informed consumers earth a 'whole house' protector. Do not expect a plug-in magic box to do protection that even the manufacturer does not claim.

How do hundreds of joules in that UPS absorb surges that are hundreds of thousands of joules? It doesn't. Another simple question that says why protection did not exist.
Sowser
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Sowser »

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/tec ... u=sua1500i

While I realize that surge protection doesn't start instantaneously APC actually explicitly advertizes surge protection and the model I use is regularly used in industry to protect thousands of dollars in equipment. My Corsair power supply is the standard for people who build their own systems. I also happen to be an electrician by trade and believe me my house is properly grounded. Besides that I also hooked my power supply up to an oscilloscope right after this happened and the power was clean as a whistle. Seems pretty clear to me that several resistors on Sapphire's poorly constructed board failed which resulted in a current imbalance. Thank you for your condescending reply.
westom
Legit User
Legit User

Post by westom »

Sowser wrote: While I realize that surge protection doesn't start instantaneously APC actually explicitly advertizes surge protection and the model I use is regularly used in industry to protect thousands of dollars in equipment. My Corsair power supply is the standard for people who build their own systems.
So let's add some facts to a subjective post. First, that APC protection is instantaneous.

Second, it claims 480 joules. Which means it only does 160 joules and never more than 320 joules in protection. Let's see. Surges with sufficient energy to overwhelm or bypass that Corsair’s internal protection are typically “hundreds of thousands of joules”. How does APC's few hundred joules absorb surges that are hundreds of thousands of joules? You made the claim. So explain the discrepancy?

Well you cannot. Near zero protection is just enough above zero so that advertising and subjective claims (also called junk science) can claim 100% protection. You cited advertising. That says you are easily scammed.

Third, responsible facilities don't use your APC for surge protection. The protection is so near zero that one could get fired for installing it. Responsible facilities also know it is legal to lie in advertising. After all, did the ads provide numbers? Or course not. Business school graduates become experts by reciting sound bytes and reading advertising.

Fourth, damage because your APC did exactly what its numeric specs said it would. You had damage because a protector and protection are two different items. You had a protector without the always required short connection to protection. So you had damage. Sapphire also said you had no surge protection. Even your own reason for protection says you are easily scammed. You cite advertising as an engineering source? Shame on you. But then you are not alone. Most are so naïve as to make the same mistake.

Fifth, surge damage because you had … well let’s let a US government research agency describe your surge protection:
> A very important point to keep in mind is that your surge protector will work by diverting
> the surges to ground. The best surge protection in the world can be useless if grounding
> is not done properly.

So where is that dedicated and ‘less than 10 foot’ connection to single point earth ground? Oh. APC does not provide it. Where does APC even discuss where hundreds of thousands of joules must dissipate to have protection? APC will not even discuss it.

Let me know when you run out of fingers counting all the reasons why we know your APC UPS does not do protection. Even APC does not claim it in those manufacturer specs. How massive must your damage be before you learn what engineers even knew and did 100 years ago?

Sixth, your only reason to deny fact, after number, after reality: APC advertising said it does surge protection. Let’s just add another reason why you know it does not do protection. That advertising does not come with numbers. No numbers is the first indication of a scam

Your telco’s switching computer (the CO) is connected to buildings everywhere in town via overhead wires. It suffers about 100 surges with each thunderstorm. And no damage. Why? Because they spend tens or 100 times less money for protectors that actually can do protection. Why? Because their protectors (one item) connect as short as possible to protection (the other required component in every protection system). A protector is only as effective as its earth ground – as the NIST so bluntly said.

To have better protection, telcos install protectors distant from electronics – typically less than 50 meters (150 feet) distant. That separation increases protection. Or did your APC advertising forget to mention that.

Every facility that can never have damage upgrades the single point earth ground. And use ‘whole house’ protectors. Every informed homeowner does same. Responsible companies provide the superior and well proven (over 100 years) solution including Siemens, Leviton, Square D, ABB, Intermatic, Keison, and General Electric. A Cutler-Hammer solution sells in both Lowes and Home Deport for less than $50. How much did you spend on an APC for near zero protection? $200 for one appliance. Informed homeowners have protection from all types of surge for less than $1 per protected appliance.

How many eyes glazed over because every paragraph has facts and numbers? Either you learn what was well understood even 100 years ago. Or you have virtually zero protection from a $200 APC. Your choice.

Seventh, protection is always about where energy dissipates. Among the reason after reason is this reality. Hundreds of thousands of joules either dissipate harmlessly outside the building. Or the APC even gives that surge even more paths to find earth destructively via your computer. But then you even saw what happens. And Sapphire told you what happened. And numbers say what happened is expected.

IOW you learn about where hundreds of thousands of joules dissipate without damage. That means a protector is only as effective as its earth ground. Reality is not found in soundbytes from advertising.

How many times over was the APC identified as ineffective? Oh. The NIST was blunter than me – “useless”. Even Sapphire said your protector was ineffective. I simply provided the numbers that say why – for how many different reasons? But one advertisement is more credible. Either you get emotional and angry. Or you get logical and informed. And then angry at APC for obviously deceiving you. Your choice. The hardest part will be admitting you were scammed.
pwcmed
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pwcmed »

There's no need to be a jerks about this. This thread should probably be closed before this gets ugly.
westom
Legit User
Legit User

Post by westom »

pwcmed wrote:There's no need to be a jerks about this. This thread should probably be closed before this gets ugly.
Reality is simple. Either one reads hard and very unpopular reality. Or a scam, somehow attached to one's ego, results in emotional and illogical responses. This forum is for adults. That means nobody takes insult because facts demonstrate how easily they were scammed. That reality disparages none. That reality says one should be very disappointed and always suspicious of APC for promoting a scam. That reality also says why informed consumers purchase products from those other and more responsible companies.

As adults, we are supposed to learn from our mistakes. Especially those mistakes that would make children or egotists angry. How many facts with numbers said that UPS does not provide protection? How many hard facts are required to overwhelm emotions? That is not a rhetorical question.

Technical realities contradict very popular urban myths. Because those myth were so easy to promote. And because some do get angry rather than admit to being deceived. Close the thread so that nobody can ask questions and learn. That is the definition of censorship.

Realities that are very unpopular are discussed in adult forums. The word 'jerk' is not relevant here.
Sowser
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Sowser »

pwcmed wrote:There's no need to be a jerks about this. This thread should probably be closed before this gets ugly.
I agree. Usually people on this forum have better decorum (wow that rhymes!) which is one of the reasons I come here. I have no problem with facts but I can't stand people who are condescending. It’s theoretically possible that a power surge took out my equipment even though I have one of the better power supplies and all of my power has always tested tip top. My display went out the day before it totally crashed which didn’t bother me because the faulty Sapphire video card has never played all that nice with my 32’’ tv and it came back up with a reboot. It wasn’t until the next day when I was doing some video editing and putting more of a load on the card that it went out completely. In my experience power surges take things out all at once whereas you can lose a resistor or two and still be ok until you try to draw more current. Until next time this childish egotist is signing off!