AMD Fusion Is Here!

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
pwcmed
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

AMD Fusion Is Here!

Post by pwcmed »

I'm I the only one excited for these APU's!! I'm not sure if this is the right one, should it go in the motherboard or the GPU forums.

Just picked this bad boy out

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813157228

I just might have to fire up the carputer again.
skier

Re: AMD Fusion Is Here!

Post by skier »

looks like a sick HTPC base
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
lordvic
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by lordvic »

Interesting indeed.
Hope LR gets to review this soon...might make a HTPC for my parents to replace the weak Celeron+1GB RAM+Radeon 9250 they're using.
I was surprised about the PCI-E x16 slot..that's @ x4... :? Might not matter much for a APU chip and for a HTPC, but still.

Gigabyte has one available too, but its $40 more:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813128468
Cooler Master HAF 932 // Phenom II 1090T @ 4.1GHz (not 110% stable) // ASUS Crosshair V Formula 990FX // Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler // Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 @ 1150/1500 // 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill RipJaws + 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill RipJawsX @1600 8-9-8-21-1T // Corsair TX850 // Corsair ForceGT 120GB SSD // Kingston V200+ 120GB SSD // WD Caviar Black 1TB // LiteON DVD-RW // Windows 7 Ult. 64-bit
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

lordvic wrote:Interesting indeed.
Hope LR gets to review this soon...might make a HTPC for my parents to replace the weak Celeron+1GB RAM+Radeon 9250 they're using.
I was surprised about the PCI-E x16 slot..that's @ x4... :? Might not matter much for a APU chip and for a HTPC, but still.

Gigabyte has one available too, but its $40 more:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813128468

Here's a link to the APU review they did here

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1470/1/

My HTPC is skiers' old X2 550 unlocked to 3 cores @ 3.1Ghz, so its a little bit overkill as well, lol. I do have a neat clear acrylic mini-itx ICE cube case that has a P4-533/3.06Ghz cpu in it (AGP slot, lol), this would be a nice upgrade for that case I think.

Comparing the two boards I like the ASROCKs layout better, the SATA plugins are in a better spot for cable management. Both boards would make it a PITA to have to mess with the memory sticks if you have a discrete video card in the slot.

I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
pwcmed
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pwcmed »

Kaos Kid wrote:
My HTPC is skiers' old X2 550 unlocked to 3 cores @ 3.1Ghz, so its a little bit overkill as well, lol. I do have a neat clear acrylic mini-itx ICE cube case that has a P4-533/3.06Ghz cpu in it (AGP slot, lol), this would be a nice upgrade for that case I think.

Comparing the two boards I like the ASROCKs layout better, the SATA plugins are in a better spot for cable management. Both boards would make it a PITA to have to mess with the memory sticks if you have a discrete video card in the slot.

Thats funny I have one of skiers old parts in my HTPC too.

So I put that ASRock board in this casehttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811129095. It's nice to see UEFI in action even though this board does not have very many options. It played every MKV I threw at it. There were problems seeking in a 1080p mkv which increasing the video ram to 512 helped.
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

By "seeking" you mean when you wanted to jump ahead on the media player slide dial it didn't want to start play right away?

What OS and media player are you using?

ps This is the case I was talking about for it. Old, but still neat looking with lighted insides. It should actually run much cooler with the new stuff in it than the dinosaur that is in there now.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/fic ... efault.asp
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
pwcmed
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pwcmed »

I'm using the latest version of MPC HC and running Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium x64. Yea thats what I meant, when I jumped "seeked" ahead in the movie it would stutter and take around 5 to 10 secs for it to stop and have the audio to catch up. It all stopped once I increased the RAM. I have 4 gigs of ram in there so I had ram to spare for the video.
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

I see. 512MB is the maximum you can allocate for share, or will it let you go higher?
pwcmed
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pwcmed »

512 is the max
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

That's almost a shame since the board supports up to 2x8GB sticks, it would have been nice to see it allocating at least 1GB but I guess if it isn't stuttering on X264 content then the 512MB is enough. Even if you only have 2x2GB sticks there would still be plenty left. I notice that it calls for DDR3-1066. Are you using that speed, or are you able to downclock faster RAM (ie:DDR3-1333) ?
pwcmed
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pwcmed »

I have 1333 and downclocks them to 1066. I heard the gigabyte can overclock the CPU so theres a good chance you can overclock the ram.

Here is a quote from tomshardware
The E350M1 will take up to 16 GB of memory, but remember that both slots feed a single 64-bit channel. At 1066 MT/s, you’re looking at up to 8.53 GB/s maximum, regardless of whether you drop in one module or two.
If I'm reading that right, 8 gigs is the max.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asr ... ,2840.html
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

Yeah, what are you really going to need 16GB for in a sff computer. Its not like you'll be doing CAD with it.
pwcmed
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pwcmed »

New BIOS is out and the ram now reads 1333 in the bios. CPU-Z could not tell me what the speed of the ram was but I re ran the WEI and the ram went from a 5.0 to a 5.4.
pwcmed
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pwcmed »

ASRock has a new customer, the next cheapest zacate board is the msi one. I was waiting for sapphire board to come out but amazon is listing it for $160. I'll be upgrading my carputer next.
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

Hmmmm

I was rooting around downstairs and I noticed my old Nintendo, I wonder if this mobo would fit into that? :lol: