Product Improvement - Case Fans

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Product Improvement - Case Fans

Post by Major_A »

I have a pretty simple idea to improve a computer case fan functionality. Sorry I can't elaborate on it more. The idea is so simple that I'm surprised that no company has come up with it. I wonder if I wrote a letter to case fan companies if any of them would take my idea and run with it? Would I be better off filing for a patent on the idea or just pass the info along and see what happens? I see this improvement being so much better than anything out there that they would sell like hotcakes.
skier

Re: Product Improvement - Case Fans

Post by skier »

i think the best idea would be to patent then try to sell the patent to one of the fan manufacturers
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

ditto, if you share the idea before the patent and you try to sell it to someone they can tell you to pound sand then go do it themselves.

That and in the patent process you will find if someone has already thought of it.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Like I said it's so simple I don't know why someone hasn't already. Good point about trying to file the patent and see if it's already there.
Merlin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Merlin »

In order to be patentable it needs to be a significant enough change so as to make your fans clearly different. My uncle is a patent or mental preperties attorney and the anology he gave me was this. There are several hundred patents for shopping cart wheels. Most of them pertain to the material the wheel is made out of or the method the rubber is attached to the hub. Very few of them have to do with how the wheel attaches to the cart itself nor to how they pivot since the number of ways that can be done are few and abvious as as such not patentable. Another example would be lawn mower blades. Very few patents exist even thought there are almost limitless shapes you could use for them...a blade is a blade so to speak. There are people that specialize in patent searches at the archival level as well as online services that will do it for a fee. I was told once that the first thing you do before you talk to anyone about it is to send yourself a certified letter detailing your idea and who you are approaching about it. When the letter arrives DO NOT open it. File it away and it serves and evidence of your idea with the US post office as a validating witness, to be opened at court in the event the idea is stolen.
Merlin
Windows 10 64 bit home on both
ASUS Z97-A LGA1150|i7 4790K|32Gb G-skill Ripjaws DDR3 2400| EVGA GTX660 | Corsair HX520W PSU
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO 1151|i7 8700K|32Gb G-skill Ripjaws DDR4-2666| EVGA GTX1080 | Samsung 500GB SSD | Corsair AX760 PSU
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Thanks for the info, I've thought of another thing I'd like to do. Also very simple. Once I get some funds I'll look into this more. Right now I can't afford to pay attention.