1TB WD GREEN slowing my pc down?

Hard Drives, Optical Drives, USB keys, Flash memory. Need help with or have experiences with a storage device? Share it in here!
enjoiflip
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

1TB WD GREEN slowing my pc down?

Post by enjoiflip »

Hey guys, i believe my PC is running on good specs, im using the i5 2500k with 4gb of ram but i still feel my pc is slower/laggy when i open programs. Im using the 1TB Western Digital Green 64mb 7,200 rpm as my OS drive, could this be the reason for the slower response?

When i checked my Windows Experience Index, i have an average of 7.4 for everything except my primary hard disk transfer rate was a 5.9. So does this proves that my hard drive is bottle necking my system?
little_tea_pot
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Re: 1TB WD GREEN slowing my pc down?

Post by little_tea_pot »

WD Green = 5,400rpm drive. 6.0 is the highest that Win7 will rate a non SSD drive (atleast in my experience, RAID-0 WD Raptors x 3). The newer 1 or 2tb blacks are about twice as fast as the green power drives.
TooT! TooT!
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DragonFury »

@ enjoiflip, your hard drive does not determine overall performance of the computer, but having a faster hdd will speed up on how programs load, and overall hdd related work. ie installing programs, executing programs, cutting/moving/copying and pasting on the drive, viri/maleware scanning, load time of windows. I would suggest get a 7200rpm HDD (single or raid, raid 0 preferred) and use the green drive as a back up drive.
Mini ME
Is in a state of flux....
enjoiflip
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by enjoiflip »

Oh crap i always thought it was 7,200 RPM, thanks for the correction. hmm ok now i understand why executing of my programs seems slower. Thanks a lot for the clarification and detailed explanation about the HDD DragonFury. i'll go over to the store soon to get the caviar black and install my OS there.