Aaaargh!

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
FZ1

Aaaargh!

Post by FZ1 »

I have a 24" LCD that seems to be on its way out so I've been eying both the Apple 27" LCD and the Dell 27" LCD. I was shying away from the Apple as it only has a mini-display port connection and my GTX 580 doesn't have such an output (HDMI to MDP adapters are not only expensive but supposedly have scaling issues). So I saw a refurbed 30" Dell U3011 on sale for $899 which is a lot less than a new 27" I jumped on it. Upon hooking it up, I find out I can only max the res to 1900x1200 via HDMI? Apparently, from what I can find on the web (nothing on Dell's site so far) to use full res 2560x1600, you need to use the displayport connection. WHAT?!?!?
Joe
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Aaaargh!

Post by DragonFury »

hdmi has a limitation of HD resolutions. it should have a Dual DVI input if not u screwed. Even if you use a mini HDMI to Mini DP you are still limited to the HDMI's max resolution. The only way you can go with the native resolution of your monitor is to see if they make a DVI to min DP adapter. the only other way is unless you happen to have a AMD video card that already has mini DP ports on the card.
Mini ME
Is in a state of flux....
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

HDMI does support up to 4096×2160 depending on which HDMI version it is. I was able to use a Dual DVI-D to get it to work full res but it's a little asinine to not equip a monitor capable of such resolutions with ports that don't support full res.
Joe
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Nice monitor though! Makes my 24" widescreen look small...
1.jpg
1.jpg (47.23 KiB) Viewed 4943 times
Joe
Sowser
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Sowser »

I spent 1/2 that for a 1080P LG 32'' flatscreen tv that works great for a monitor. Of course it doesn't fit very well on the desk... :supz:
Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DragonFury »

FZ1 wrote:HDMI does support up to 4096×2160 depending on which HDMI version it is. I was able to use a Dual DVI-D to get it to work full res but it's a little asinine to not equip a monitor capable of such resolutions with ports that don't support full res.

DP fully supports it, HDMI well that is probably for them console users, or for you if you choose to use that monitor as a htpc. god only knows.

yep them 30" monitors are nice, but for me I play on my 24"'s they aint big but they still know how to please ;)
Mini ME
Is in a state of flux....
Digital Puppy

Post by Digital Puppy »

Sounds like that it's HDMI 1.2 or 1.3a?

I love my 24", but i need to get another to run a dual monitor set up. Can definitely see how you would want to run the HDMI cable versus the clunky DVI...
Just a little puppy trying to make it in a big digital world.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

For the cost of that monitor you could've purchased a 46" LED TV, 3D capable, with a built in tuner for the same price. I realize that you are losing Desktop real estate but I'd rather have a giant TV as a monitor.

Sorry I know that doesn't help, just my $0.02.
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Those TV's won't have the color accuracy I need for photo editing. I could've have found numerous LCD monitors for cheaper but less quality.
Joe
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

I figured there was a reason you went with the 30", figured it was the resolution. Didn't think about the color accuracy.
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Size isn't everything 8-[ :lol:
Joe