Upgrade

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
Music Guy123
Legit User
Legit User

Upgrade

Post by Music Guy123 »

Hey there,

Am pretty disappointed with my AMD Turion ii Dual-Core Mobile M500 2.20Ghz. It has a socket S1G3, what is the best processor to upgrade to???

Any help appreciated
pwcmed
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Upgrade

Post by pwcmed »

What's programs is it disappointing you in?

The CPU is usually the hardest component to upgrade. Whats the model of the laptop, maybe we can recommend other upgrades to that instead.
Music Guy123
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Music Guy123 »

Any programs make it freeze, when typing in Microsoft word, it can suddenly freeze for about 10s. Really starting to annoy me!!!

My laptop is a Packard Bell Easynote LJ71 1TB hard drive version.

It might be worth saying that I am using 6GB of readyboost and it is constantly being used. The built in RAM is 4GB.

Any help much appreciated.
pwcmed
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pwcmed »

Does your laptop have two bays for hard drives? If it does you can put a SSD drive as your OS drive and keep that TB drive as storage. My guess is that it has a lot of bloatware installed and slowing your laptop. Open the task manager and see how many process are running.
Music Guy123
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Music Guy123 »

My TB is divided into two 500mb hard drives. All the program software is on one though. There are quite a few processes running in task manager and I think that I have accumulated a lot of bloatware. The only problem is I don't know what to do now!!!

Thanks for the help so far!
pwcmed
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pwcmed »

My guess to those pauses would be your hard drive. Whats the model number on your hard drive?

Look at this link on step 3 to see what I'm taking about the dual hard drive bay.

http://www.newmodeus.com/index.php?main ... &chapter=0
Music Guy123
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Music Guy123 »

I am not sure of the hard drive number yet but I am afraid I don't quite understand what to do!! I definitely have two 500gb 5400rpm hdd drives. They are stored in two sections on the laptop.

After all that, I think what you are telling me is that I need to take out the primary disk and swap it with a solid state drive, then swap the second dick with the primary hard drive, is that right??? Sorry am only 14 so don't know a lot about these things!!!

Thanks for your help, much appreciated. Will post the model number asap!!!
Music Guy123
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Music Guy123 »

Thank you so much for your help so far, it is much appreciated. My laptop goes to get the keyboard replaced tomorrow so I won't do anything to it before then. After that I will continue this post. It will probably be away for a week but hopefully less.

Thanks for the help received so far.
pwcmed
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pwcmed »

Use this link to see how to get to the device manager, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Device_Manager, once there go to disk drives and get the model number.
Music Guy123
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Music Guy123 »

Thanks, It says: WDC WD5000BEVT-22ZAT0 ATA Device. It says the same for both hard drives. Hope this is some help!!! I opened my laptop up and took out the hard drives, I will upload a couple of pics of them on next reply!
Music Guy123
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Music Guy123 »

These are the pics i took of my hard drive!!! I hope the quality isn't too bad as they had to be compressed, Hope you can read the writing!!! It might be worth saying that I have tried to remove a lot of the bloatware, using autoruns, spybot and ccleaner. I haven't noticed a massive difference but I think that there is a minor on!!!
Attachments
I think this is the secondary hdd but am not sure!!!
I think this is the secondary hdd but am not sure!!!
I'm not sure but I think this is the primary hdd
I'm not sure but I think this is the primary hdd
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

The WD Scorpio Blue 500GB is a solid hard drive.

I have that one and reviewed it back in 2009 here - http://www.legitreviews.com/article/937/1/

Putting an SSD in the primary slot and then running the WD Scorpio Blue 500GB as a storage drive would make for a great improvement though as that drive tops out at around 50MB/s read and write.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
pwcmed
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pwcmed »

Hmm, yea I don't think it's your drive anymore. Those are pretty solid drives.

I think removing one of those hard drives and upgrading to a SSD drive will probably give the best upgrade for the money. I would do a fresh install of windows and will eliminate all the bloatware.
Music Guy123
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Music Guy123 »

Will look into ssd drives, what is the price range??? Could someone post a link to a good one that isn't too expensive??? Would I be able to reinstall windows and still keep the programs that I want??? How would I reinstall it? Those questions probably sound a bit silly but I not exactly that knowledgable on this subject!!!

Thanks for the help so far!!!
Music Guy123
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Music Guy123 »

Just wondering, what needs to be stored on the ssd drive, is it just programs??? Also just out of interest, what is the best processor that would fit my laptop (dual core socket S1G3)???
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

if you get an SSD drive you want it for the boot drive/Operating system and you can use the WD for storage and programs.

:drinkers:
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
Music Guy123
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Music Guy123 »

I think that I would put windows and probably most of my programs on it, would that be sensible??? I think I would need a 120gb one, what would be a good one for the money, I could sell one of the WD drives to fund it a bit but how much is it going to be, could someone post a link please?

Thanks for the help so far!!!
Music Guy123
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Music Guy123 »

Just found something quite interesting, whilst voting files, I noticed the primary hdd (the one with the programs and operating system plus other files) transfered data at a rate of about 3mbs - ouch!!! The secondary hdd transferred data at about 25mbs!!! Does anyone know why the difference was so big???
pwcmed
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pwcmed »

I don't think you need a lot of space for the os drive. I have a 60 gig on my laptop and have games installed and still have space to spare. Just keep the big files on the bigger drive. Here is a 40gig that should meet your needs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820226168

Your speeds are pretty slow and causes could be many. Windows 7 has a pretty good image utility that you can use to make an original copy of your current setup. I wouldn't use it to reload your laptop but just keep it to be safe.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/66 ... ackup.html
Music Guy123
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Music Guy123 »

Thanks so much, sadly my laptop has just been taken away to get it's keyboard replaced. When I get it back, I will see how much space the programs take but I think i might need at least a 60gb one!!! The other thing is that I am in England, I don't really want to buy something that is in America, although I will if it is cheaper! Thanks for the support so far, it is really helpful!!!

Continues on next page!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by Music Guy123 on Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.