There's Something Wrong With Me...

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

There's Something Wrong With Me...

Post by Major_A »

My MS Comfort keyboard is in the process of crapping out on me. Random keys just decide to stop working. I went into Best Buy, Target and Office Depot the other day looking for a cheap wired USB keyboard. None of the stores had anything that remotely interested me. The cheapest keyboard they had that didn't suck was the Logitech G110 and I refuse to spend that much on a keyboard.

Yesterday while out and about I decided to stop by Fry's and just walk in, grab a keyboard, and leave. Didn't really work out that way...

The drives were $60 a piece after a $20 MIR and the video card was $109 after a $30 MIR. I guess the good news is I found a keyboard. :?
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: There's Something Wrong With Me...

Post by Major_A »

So now I have a question that I didn't address in my impulsive purchase. I figured I'd buy two small SSD drives and run them in RAID. Got home only to realize that TRIM doesn't work in RAID. 32GB is only good for a Windows 7 install with Office and Photoshop. The rest of my stuff would have to go on my mechanical drives. What should I do?
hark
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hark »

Use one drive for Windows. Use the other drive for your most used programs. Finally, your mechanical drives are for whatever don't fit on the SSDs.

Awesome hardware, by the way. That keyboard looks great!
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Thanks. I'm going to run the drives and RAID and see what happens. After I install Windows, Windows updates, MS Office and updates, and Photoshop with updates I'll create an Acronis backup. If the performance starts to take a dive then I'll just format the drives and reinstall the Acronis image. Didn't really think that process through. My brain was too busy talking my hand to reach for my wallet.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Got everything installed and Windows just completed installing. Now the fun part, reinstalling all my apps. :( I thought that the GTX 460 looked smaller than my GTX 260.

Nice, now the video card doesn't obstruct my SATA ports on the motherboard. Couple times I needed to get to them and I had to pull the video card. I only ran PCMark Vantage and 3DMark Vantage before I pulled the parts. I'll report back when I have run the benchmarks with the SSDs and new video.
lordvic
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by lordvic »

Just couldn't resist on jumping on those deals eh?

Ahaha I went out and bought a keyboard on the 2nd...and I was deciding between the G110, Lycosa, or the Steelseries Merc stealth. I ended up getting the G110; and I see you got the Lycosa :) .
I would like to hear some feedback on your board...if you would like...to see if I made a wrong decision or not :lol: .
Cooler Master HAF 932 // Phenom II 1090T @ 4.1GHz (not 110% stable) // ASUS Crosshair V Formula 990FX // Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler // Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 @ 1150/1500 // 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill RipJaws + 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill RipJawsX @1600 8-9-8-21-1T // Corsair TX850 // Corsair ForceGT 120GB SSD // Kingston V200+ 120GB SSD // WD Caviar Black 1TB // LiteON DVD-RW // Windows 7 Ult. 64-bit
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

No I couldn't, like I said I have a problem. I can't really comment on the keyboard yet. I haven't used it much. But I don't know if I like the glossy finish or not. Seems more slippery than my old keyboard. I wish the thing had more lighting options, right now it's full on, full off or only WASD.

Ran the two benchmarks and here are the results. I don't want to throw a bunch of drive tests at it and take the risk of hurting it's performance.

3DMark Vantage - GTX 260

3DMark Vantage - GTX 460

PCMark Vantage - Combined
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by smack323 »

ran int the same situation the other day myself.. went on to newegg to get a usb stick and ended up with a new rig in my card.. had the credit card out and all ready to hit buy.... In a moment of clarity I hit the red X and got the hell outta there. lol
Core i5-6500 - Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4 2133 - MSI 2080Ti - Antec 750W - Crucial 525GB SSD - Windows 10 64bit - ASUS 32" LED
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

I do that quite a bit at the Egg myself. But it's easier to stop from that impulse when shopping online. In the store I talk myself into the purchase.