booting fedora from a USB stick

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

booting fedora from a USB stick

Post by smack323 »

So I have one usb stick that works great as a boot disk for fedora. I can put it into any laptop I am trying to fix with a bad hard drive and it boots right up.. I created a second one the exact same way. literally right after the first one same files ect.. and I cant get it to boot..

Are some flash drives just not ment to be bootable? The bios sees the drive, I can set it as the boot device ect - but all I get is a blinking cursor when I power on. Anyone have any experiance with making a boot usb drive?
Core i5-6500 - Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4 2133 - MSI 2080Ti - Antec 750W - Crucial 525GB SSD - Windows 10 64bit - ASUS 32" LED
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: booting fedora from a USB stick

Post by DragonFury »

is the usb drive configured as a boot device? not just coping a pasting but setting up the the drive partitioning itself. since you using a linux based OS this might help http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/linux/cr ... -easy-way/
Mini ME
Is in a state of flux....
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: booting fedora from a USB stick

Post by smack323 »

yeah I assume it is configured as a boot device since I made it the exact same way as another USB stick I have that works fine to boot.

* just checked the link out.. the program i used to make the boot usb is similar to the one linked. something It mentioned was making the disk active. I'll have to check that out, could be my problem
Core i5-6500 - Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4 2133 - MSI 2080Ti - Antec 750W - Crucial 525GB SSD - Windows 10 64bit - ASUS 32" LED