2600k Corsair A50 temps too high?

Discussion about Intel CPUs and overclocking. Need help with that new Intel processor? Not sure which one is right for you? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Intel Processors!
Sttm
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

2600k Corsair A50 temps too high?

Post by Sttm »

Finally got my 2600k upgrades in place but I think I may have messed up on the installation of the Corsair A50 air cooler I bought as the temps I believe are high.

Stock clocked. Idle seems to be around 37-40C and playing Crysis 2 and TF2 it seems to max around 59C. I am using the Asus AI suite monitor to check temps.

Now the installation guide and a video I watched showed the A50 getting installed with a pea sized amount of TIM on the middle of the cpu. Which I did, and then screwed down the cooler as instructed, 1 turn every screw rotating until all are tight. But the temps seem high, and I really have to wonder if I used too little TIM on it; or too much maybe.

Am I worrying needlessly and the temps are normal or acceptable? Or should I reseat the heatsink?
Core i7 2600k/ ASUS P8Z68-V Z68/ 8gb Corsair Vengeance 1600 Blue/ EVGA Geforce GTX 560ti Maximum Graphics Edition/Windows 7/Antec 300/Antec 650w/LG Blu Combo/Hp 27inch 2710M/Samsung P2770HD

"I think sharing is overrated...and helping others. And what's all this crap I've been hearing about tolerance?"
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: 2600k Corsair A50 temps too high?

Post by DragonFury »

Re-seat it, but place 5 small pea sized dots in a 5 pattern on the CPU, one in the center, then one in between the center and each corner.
Mini ME
Is in a state of flux....
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

The A50 is a HDT cooler. If you pull it off you will see the TIM didn't spread passed the center pipe. It gets caught up in the gaps between the base and the pipe.

Like this

Pull it off, clean both cooler and CPU with 90%+ isopropyl alcohol and redo the TIM like this. Out of all the ways to put TIM on, this is the best I have found for HDT coolers.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DragonFury »

Good concept but I could never get that to work properly. There is the X pattern, the Plus pattern, spreading the thermal paste evenly across the entire surface, spread it on the heat sink evenly, 1 small pea sized in the middle, one large pea size in the center. On HDT types of coolers you can put a small amount of thermal paste on the grooves then then push it in to them. There are so many different ways it is not even funny. Try one way then if that dont work try another. one step at a time, to find the way that works best for you.
Mini ME
Sttm
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sttm »

I pulled it off, and it did looks surprisingly like Bubba's first picture. So I decided to try it his way and I put the lines of tim on the heat pipes, and I booted back up and the temps are about the same, 36-38 as I type this. I am all out of goop, and trying to stress it the max temp I got was 61 with Core Temp showing the max being 98, so I am going to leave it as is for a couple weeks then get some Artic silver and try again.

*or maybe it did work. Just came back after going down and getting some food and core temp now shows lows of 33C for each core.
Core i7 2600k/ ASUS P8Z68-V Z68/ 8gb Corsair Vengeance 1600 Blue/ EVGA Geforce GTX 560ti Maximum Graphics Edition/Windows 7/Antec 300/Antec 650w/LG Blu Combo/Hp 27inch 2710M/Samsung P2770HD

"I think sharing is overrated...and helping others. And what's all this crap I've been hearing about tolerance?"
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

What TIM are you using? The best to get would be tuniq TX-3 or TX-4. AS is long time outdated :)

I use the TX-4 with the corsair A70 and CPU OC'd to 4.7Ghz @ 1.440V and my folding temps never go over 62C

oh and bubba is completely right, even though, the way I've done it was spreading the TIM evenly in a thin layer on the CPU, covering the whole surface...
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DragonFury »

In my experiences with thermal paste it is up to the individual and the heat sink itself because not all are the same. As far as thermal paste I personally like Gelid Solutions Xtreme paste, Noctua's TIM. I been trying out Antecs Formula 7 nano diamond, which works really good. If you have no choice you can use Cooler Master thermal fusion, Arctic silvers Ceramic, Arctic Cooling MX4 will do the job quite well.
Mini ME
Sttm
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sttm »

I used the TIM that came with it. It's been over a week now, and I am really dam satisfied with this CPU. I currently have it setup so it Turbos to 4.5ghz, but idles at 1.65ghz, and the temp so far has maxed at around 60. The 2600k at 4.5ghz is just phenomenal and I am going to leave it like this I think. Nothing seems to slow down this machine.

sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

Sttm wrote:I used the TIM that came with it. It's been over a week now, and I am really dam satisfied with this CPU. I currently have it setup so it Turbos to 4.5ghz, but idles at 1.65ghz, and the temp so far has maxed at around 60. The 2600k at 4.5ghz is just phenomenal and I am going to leave it like this I think. Nothing seems to slow down this machine.
Yep, I was never been so satisfied with a build before, like this one. No compromises and super fast, super stable :supz:
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Sttm wrote:I used the TIM that came with it. It's been over a week now, and I am really dam satisfied with this CPU. I currently have it setup so it Turbos to 4.5ghz, but idles at 1.65ghz, and the temp so far has maxed at around 60. The 2600k at 4.5ghz is just phenomenal and I am going to leave it like this I think. Nothing seems to slow down this machine.
Cool.

Also some TIM's have a cure time, some don't. My current fave is the Gelid GC Extreme (zero cure), I've been getting better themps than I ever did with AS5 (200 hour cure time). So if you ever get a hankering to drop temps a little more take a look at swapping the paste out. I know going from AS Céramique to Gelid GC Extreme it dropped temps a good 10*C degrees on average.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson