B/marking processor frame rates

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
stickytape
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

B/marking processor frame rates

Post by stickytape »

I've just finished reading the review on the AMD A8-3850. Observing the frame rates under in-game testing; the results were impressively high given the absence of video card. Of course, the A8-3850 is an APU, so what are the GPU components driving these benchmark scores?

And with processors of this architecture, for the average Joe, could modern games be played comfortably on the processor itself without forking out for a video card?
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: B/marking processor frame rates

Post by Major_A »

The A8-3850 essentially has a built-in AMD HD 6550.
This is the closest desktop card to the 6550.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... ageSize=20

HD 6570 review: http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-C ... PU-sub-100
And with processors of this architecture, for the average Joe, could modern games be played comfortably on the processor itself without forking out for a video card?
Depends. If you don't mind playing games at low resolutions with the details turned down.
stickytape
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by stickytape »

Nice - I'm psyched! I look forward to a benchmark WITH video cards. What does this mean for card compatibility, though? And perhaps the APU bump will give Nvidia's muscle a run for it's money :-k ?
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

There was some review I read where they added the HD 6570 (I think...) and ran it in Crossfire with the onboard GPU. What do mean as far as compatibility?

Found the review, don't think it was the one I read though.
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ha ... top-7.html
stickytape
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by stickytape »

As far as compatibility: An AMD CPU will gel with Nvidia, however being AMD’s love child, the APU will be built with Radeon architecture. So how well, if at all, will the APU communicate with Nvidia cards? Although I've no doubt that Intel is working on their own APU.

The E2 series APUs aren’t compatible with Dual Graphics due to their entry level market positioning” -

Moreover, Radeon video cards, in themselves, don’t always Hybrid Crossfire well even within series of card. Therefore: how might the A8-3850 (HD 6500 equivalent?) handle communication with the latest 6900s, in crossfire, & indeed how might the A8 handle the next series down the track?
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DragonFury »

That I think is not going to be possible, I read somewhere that AMD will have to come out with a new APU everytime a new GPU comes out. If you are planning on getting a high end gu like a69xx series card, I seriously doubt a small rinky dinky little APu will do much good anyways, because the high end vids can do so much more. it is when peeps use 67xx series down that need help. AMD APU is specific to AMD vids, if nvidia wants in on the fun they would have to give up their technology to either AMD or Intel so they can make a APU that is intigrated into these CPU manu's. Or unless Nvidia jumps in the CPU market themselves, which I do not think it is going to happen any time soon because of AMD and Intel are already well established.
Mini ME
Is in a state of flux....
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

To add to what DragonFury said the APU is for non-gamers. So if you buy a HD 6970 then you might as well disable the APU in the BIOS/UEFI. To me there would be not much of a point to have the high-end card running and the APU running. The only way I'd see this as feasible is if the APU ran non-3D tasks and had the ability to turn off the add-on card. Otherwise you're just creating more heat/energy draw from the computer. I don't see the need to have the added heat/stress on the CPU if you aren't going to be using the APU. This is just speculation on my part but I imagine too that the CPU would clock better with the internal APU disabled.
stickytape
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by stickytape »

DragonFury wrote:I read somewhere that AMD will have to come out with a new APU everytime a new GPU comes out...if nvidia wants in on the fun they would have to give up their technology to either AMD or Intel
Radeon will have Nvidia by the balls, was my initial thought. Should be interesting to see how Nvidia plays it out. I've read that the APU will replace the standard CPU processor - I don't see APUs dominating the market for a while to come - but when it does, the high-end PC market kinda looks to get a little messy? And now we're perhaps looking at matching APUs with the a correct version GPU? :bump:
DragonFury wrote:I seriously doubt a small rinky dinky little APu will do much good anyways, because the high end vids can do so much more
I got that feeling too - graphics cards look like big-ass mag clips for a reason. but it's still impressive they squeezed one into a chipset - although It won't exactly come with a free heatsink. I was hoping that it would at least offer compensation for the drawbacks of hybrid crossfire, perhaps help us access that extra effect. In fact, in regard to gaming, the APU is starting to sound a little redundant, and a big pain the ass if it means turning things off at the bios for dual card or over clocking as Major-A has pointed out.

Time will tell. I'm still hopeful. New technology has to start somewhere.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

My response was what I deem "logical". I don't have any facts to backup what wrote. But I still think that keeping the on die GPU on when you have a highend card is a waste.

Example:
Bought a GTX 460 to replace my GTX 260. Planned on running the GTX 260 as a dedicated PhysX card. That's a no go, the GTX 260 is too long with my current case. Dig in the closet and pull out an 8800GTS 320MB card. Fire up Mafia II and run the built-in benchmark with different PhysX setting with and without the 8800GTS. Turns out I was getting better performance with my GTX 460 alone. Putting the 8800GTS to serve as a dedicated PhysX card lowered my performance. Perplexed by this I just figured that the GTX 460 has more horsepower to push through both tasks.

Point of that semi-winded example is 2 isn't always better than one. I imagine that would be the case with a "gaming" card and the integrated GPU.