Google Music and search for new MP3 player

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Google Music and search for new MP3 player

Post by bubba »

Ok, shopping for a new MP3/Media player for my Daughter for Christmas. I truly dislike the iTouch, iTunes even more. So I started to search for iAlternatives and wondered if there was an Android option yet.There is! the Samsung Galaxy player 4 and 5. Basically they are Galaxy SII phones with out the phone parts. Runs Gingerbread, has full Android market access,Wifi, FM tuner, and should work for media player nicely and still be pocket portable. She is 12 hardly an audiophile so highend audio quality I didnt worry about, she rocking a Sansa Fuze now. Top off the Galaxy player upside list, replaceable battery and can use SD Cards to expand storage.

Only other android player I found was a Cowon D3, but does not have market access with out hacking. If I go non android the Cowon J3.

My reasoning for looking at Android based players is Google Music. With it firing up there is an alternative to iTunes and makes me lean a little more towards the Galaxy player as I think the Google Music will make her life a little easier. She not too techy, I've tried trust me.

Anyone else messed with Google Music yet?
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Google Music and search for new MP3 player

Post by smack323 »

I was going to try it until I saw I could only upload less that 1/4 of my music.
Core i5-6500 - Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4 2133 - MSI 2080Ti - Antec 750W - Crucial 525GB SSD - Windows 10 64bit - ASUS 32" LED
omegadraco
Legit User
Legit User

Post by omegadraco »

I too prefer Android devices. Nice find, the other cool thing is it has Wi-fi access so you can use it as a wi-fi phone as well to some degree :)
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

smack323 wrote:I was going to try it until I saw I could only upload less that 1/4 of my music.
That's for the cloud, ya really need more than 20,000 songs at a given time? I know is a drop in the bucket for what I have as well, but I can Atleast upload my favs...
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
omegadraco
Legit User
Legit User

Post by omegadraco »

I think 20k Songs is plenty for me personally. I don't know if my library is even that big. 20,000 songs is certainly more diverse than the pandora songs that play on my stations.
omegadoom13
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by omegadoom13 »

I have well over 100 GB worth of music spread between my old computer and my sister's computer. I haven't messed with Google Music yet but 20k songs stored online is a lot!
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by smack323 »

yeah- 20,000 is enough I am sure - I really need to clean up my music folders anyways.
Core i5-6500 - Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4 2133 - MSI 2080Ti - Antec 750W - Crucial 525GB SSD - Windows 10 64bit - ASUS 32" LED
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

I planned on hanging on to my EVO 4G after I get a new phone. If nothing else for the reasons you are looking for. Once I move on I'll start really playing with ROMs. Right now I just want my phone to work so I'm just sticking with the stock ROM rooted.
yeah- 20,000 is enough I am sure - I really need to clean up my music folders anyways.
It's sort of user friendly but if you dig into the setting up scripts it becomes really robust.
http://www.mp3tag.de/en/
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by smack323 »

that’s great - with over 500GB of music folders it would be a daunting process to standardize them all.. Thanks! :drinkers:
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

With the spam post it brought this back to my attention. Have you considered a used phone off eBay? Or checking out a Sprint/Verizon/AT&T repair center to see if they sell refurbished phones?
There are some new phones on Newegg but they are expensive.
http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory ... act-Phones
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Yeah, with some things that came up over the last few weeks that put a hefty dent in the wallet I gave up on this and some other projects (for the moment).

I did get a chance to play with the Galaxy 5 player at Best Buy. It would make a nice little media player/reader.
-Thomas Jefferson