Over clocking socket 775

Discussion about Intel CPUs and overclocking. Need help with that new Intel processor? Not sure which one is right for you? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Intel Processors!
[email protected]
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Over clocking socket 775

Post by [email protected] »

Hi,

I'm running a Quad core 2.8 socket 775, I replaced the motherboard with a gigabyte that is set-up for overclocking. I would like to bring the CPU up to about 3.3. Is it safer/better to buy software that will help me overclock, I've read that there is more to it than just changing the CPU freq and voltage. The CPU has a good quality heat sink and I understand some of the BIOS settings. What would be the best way to do this?

Pete
lordvic
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Over clocking socket 775

Post by lordvic »

The safest and best tool to overclock is NOT with software, but through the good old BIOS. You are correct, overclocking isn't as simple as adjusting the bus frequency and adding some core voltage - you need to adjust things for the RAM, motherboard chipsets (north bridge, south bridge, etc), the HTT (QPI or whatever they call it now), and other voltages...and more. Then you would have to do a bunch of stability testing.

I haven't really messed with any intel chips since the P4 time so I can't help you much about your chip. I know a bunch of members here have some overclocking tips/experience up their sleeves with socket 775 processors, so sit tight.

Looks like you've never done any overclocking before so I suggest you read up about it; knows the RISKS and search the web for any over clocking guides/tips for your processor.

It would help a bit of you gave us the exact model of your "quad core 775" and "Gigabyte board"...and other system specs like RAM, graphics card and power supply.

Don't even think about over clocking if you have a weak/low quality power supply.
Cooler Master HAF 932 // Phenom II 1090T @ 4.1GHz (not 110% stable) // ASUS Crosshair V Formula 990FX // Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler // Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 @ 1150/1500 // 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill RipJaws + 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill RipJawsX @1600 8-9-8-21-1T // Corsair TX850 // Corsair ForceGT 120GB SSD // Kingston V200+ 120GB SSD // WD Caviar Black 1TB // LiteON DVD-RW // Windows 7 Ult. 64-bit
[email protected]
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by [email protected] »

Thanks,

That about covers it. It would be better for me to just buy a new computer than risk all that.

Thanks again
Pete
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

[email protected] wrote:Thanks,

That about covers it. It would be better for me to just buy a new computer than risk all that.

Thanks again
Pete
Pete,

Well, if your in a position that you can buy a new computer. This is the perfect situation to attempt overclocking. Going for a mild overclock isn't that difficult or risky if you take your time and be careful. Only one way to learn, if you get us more information about what system you want to OC we'll be more that willing to help you out

Dan
skier

Post by skier »

download CPUz and open a couple copies of it to display the motherboard, cpu, SPD and memory tabs and copy a printscreen to Paint and upload it so we can see exactly what you are working with

I actually just bought a Core2 Quad last week and got it from 2.66 to 3.8GHz on the first day i had it, but I have a really high end memory kit, motherboard and heatsink which Is why it was so easy for me (and i've played with a lot of different Intel and AMD CPUs in the past)
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
tzaar0723
Legit User
Legit User

Post by tzaar0723 »

Going for such a mild overclock (3.3GHz on a quad 2.8GHz) shouldn't involve anything more than changing your CPU frequency and probably a very very slight voltage bump. You may also have to adjust your memory multiplier if you don't have OCing RAM. My old i7-860 is in my wife's PC now, but when I used it for gaming, it would OC to 4GHz relatively easy, and could hit 3.6GHz on stock settings with load line calibration enabled.

Just take it slowly, as others have said, be sure you have adequate cooling, and do some stability testing on your overclocks using something like Prime95 and run it for several hours, checking stability and temps. Good luck. :)