Have You Been *Denied* A Mail In Rebate?

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!

Have you been denied a MiR?

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 10

Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Have You Been *Denied* A Mail In Rebate?

Post by Major_A »

Just curious here. Anyone here been told they didn't fill out the form correctly or some other BS reason to keep from sending the rebate? I've had a few companies tell me I didn't do it right. I immediately called them and told them to send me my damn money. Then the check showed up a week later. When I bought my GTX 460 earlier this year it had a $30 MiR to make it $110. I sent everything in only to have my claim denied. I contacted Galaxy and told them they were full of s**t and to send me my money. Never heard back from them. I have since sent them several emails with no replies. This will be my last Galaxy purchase. I understand that Galaxy usually sends the rebate company money to pay the MiR claims. But it behooves the rebate company to deny claims so they walk away with more money.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Have You Been *Denied* A Mail In Rebate?

Post by vbironchef »

I had that happen twice to me with xfx graphic cards. Never did get a rebate.
Sparky
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sparky »

I try to shop smart using MIR's but they are a pain in the butt. I'm sure most manufactures and retailers are playing the law of averages which is that most people won't complete the rebate forms so they have actually sold the item at full retail. I really wish they would just lower the price to whatever it comes to after the MIR, but that would be too easy.
MSI Meg X570 Unify | Ryzen 3900X | Noctuna NH-U12A | G.Skill RipJaws DDR4 3600 16GB | Samsung 970 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe | (2) WD Blue 3TB Backups | MSI 2060 Super Gaming X | Meshify - C | SB X-Fi
Sttm
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sttm »

I've never been denied. I am also super anal about doing it exactly as told. But maybe its just that I typically only buy Antec, Corsair, Asus, and EVGA.
The two companies you mentioned, XFX and Galaxy I have always thought were second tier more bargain oriented brands; and maybe they use a 2nd tier rebate company.
Core i7 2600k/ ASUS P8Z68-V Z68/ 8gb Corsair Vengeance 1600 Blue/ EVGA Geforce GTX 560ti Maximum Graphics Edition/Windows 7/Antec 300/Antec 650w/LG Blu Combo/Hp 27inch 2710M/Samsung P2770HD

"I think sharing is overrated...and helping others. And what's all this crap I've been hearing about tolerance?"
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I've never been denied a rebate, but I have not gotten anything back from them.... OCZ comes to mind... My neighbor wanted two 2GB DDR2 memory kits years ago and it was one rebate per household. We both bought a kit and mailed in the rebate. Neither of us got anything back. It was a Fry's free after rebate deal.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

My denial was with a Fry's MiR too. Wonder if there a correlation there or if it's coincidental.
Cixiro
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Cixiro »

Sttm wrote:I've never been denied. I am also super anal about doing it exactly as told. But maybe its just that I typically only buy Antec, Corsair, Asus, and EVGA.
The two companies you mentioned, XFX and Galaxy I have always thought were second tier more bargain oriented brands; and maybe they use a 2nd tier rebate company.
I'll agree to this. I never had a problem with the above companies but have heard of many instances for the two listed.. In any case, MIR are always a mess and you typically can find the same price a couple of weeks later.

I have never been denied, in general, though. I only do MIR when it comes to high-tier companies and distributors(Tigerdirect only if the MIR is theirs).
omegadoom13
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by omegadoom13 »

I've never been denied a rebate. I've never bought anything from XFX or Galaxy so I don't know much about their rebate policy. Thanks for the heads up though. I will think twice before making purchases offering manufacturer rebates from them. Maybe file a complaint with the BBB. They might help resolve your case.
CoachAub
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by CoachAub »

I haven't been denied, but MSI sure did take a long time to send my rebates (2 gpus and one mobo). The one video card took about 6 months! I got it in February, the rebate came in the summer. I get paranoid sending my only proof of purchase cut from the box..knowing that if they say I didn't send it, I won't be able to make a "do-over". I actually photocopied it last time, just in case I had to fight with someone.
Rig#1: Intel i5-3570K, MSI-B75MA-P45 mobo, G-Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 2x4gb, MSI-7870 2gd5t/oc gpu, Tt TR2-600w psu, Tt Commander Snow ed. Case, Cooler Master Hyper212+ HSF, OCZ Agility3 SSD 120GB, WE Caviar Black 750GB
Rig#2: AMD Phenom 2-970, MSI-890FXA-GD-65 mobo, 6GB Geil DDR3-1333, HIS Radeon HD6870 1GB gpu, Antec Quattro-850 psu, Rosewill Conqueror Case, Zalman CNPS-9500 hsf, 1TB Toshiba Sata3 HD
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

I've only had one XFX rebate personally over the years and had no issues. I helped a friend with a build and they had an XFX MOBO with a rebate, also without problems. I have a file folder that I keep in my office where I put photo copies of all my rebates. I want to say that maybe 4 or 5 years ago I didn't get my MIR from a company, but couldn't tell ya which one. Overall I have no complaints and have had very good success.

The dilemma for me is always how long to wait to cut the box before getting what I need to complete the process. You want to make sure the product is good before cutting. Oh well, guess that's off topic. Happy Sunday ya'll. :drinkers:
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell
shamrok3
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by shamrok3 »

To put in a slightly different slant on this topic, coming from Australia, we don't have this mail-in-rebate rubbish. I prefer it this way, but I think it's more because the PC market is pretty non-competitive over here. Basically, if you want a good price, you go into MSY or UMart and leave customer service at the door. Certainly few other companies can compete with them on price, and I'd hate to try and deal with an MiR from these guys, yeesh.
Multiple Exclamation marks - The first sign of an unsound mind.

Rig: Intel 3930K, Noctua U12P-SE2 , ASUS P9X79, 16GB RAM, 60GB OCZ Vertex 3, 2x3TB Seagate (RAID 0), 1TB Samsung F3, EVGA GTX760, CM 650 Watt PSU
NZXT HU002 Case, LG Blu-Ray Writer/Combo
21.5" BenQ E2200HD @ 1920x1080, Razer Lachesis/Lycosa/Sennheiser HD558, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit