Performance Tuning Protection Plan by Intel Announced

Discussion about Intel CPUs and overclocking. Need help with that new Intel processor? Not sure which one is right for you? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Intel Processors!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Performance Tuning Protection Plan by Intel Announced

Post by Apoptosis »

Performance Tuning Protection Plan by Intel
Intel is pleased to announce the introduction of a new pilot plan targeted at the enthusiast community. The enthusiast community is a critical market segment for Intel and, as such, when the opportunity arises to try out a service or otherwise address the community’s particular needs, we endeavor to do so where practicable. In this spirit, Intel is announcing a new pilot service plan for “K”, “X”, and LGA2011-socketed boxed processors called the Performance Tuning Protection Plan. This Plan will provide certain out-of-warranty service offerings in the event of damage caused by over-clocking or over-voltaging by the user. By purchasing this Plan and meeting the Plan’s criteria, the user can receive a one-time replacement processor if the user’s over-voltaging or over-clocking causes the original processor to fail. This pilot Plan in no way expands, changes or extends the original three year standard warranty and is simply a Plan the user may want to purchase for over-clocking or over-voltaging.

This pilot Plan will be launched on January 18, 2012, at 12:01AM PST and last for six months. The first phase of the Plan will include 4 resellers: CyberPower*, Canada Computers and Electronics*, Scan Computers*, and Altech Computers*. On February 13, 2012, Intel plans to add additional resellers to the Plan. Intel will also be providing the Plan directly to customers at the following website: http://www.intel.com/go/tuningplan for the duration of the Plan. Intel will evaluate the Plan throughout the six months and decide whether or not to proceed past the pilot phase.

For more information please visit http://www.intel.com/go/tuningplan.
Here is the pricing:
Intel® Core™ i5-2500K $20.00
Intel® Core™ i7-2600K $25.00
Intel® Core™ i7-2700K $25.00
Intel® Core™ i7-3930K $35.00
Intel® Core™ i7-3960X $35.00
A quick Q&A:
Performance Tuning Protection Plan Questions and Answers
11/09/11

Q1.) What is the Performance Tuning Protection Plan?
A1.) The Performance Tuning Protection Plan is an additional plan that a customer can purchase to cover processor failures caused by operating the eligible processor outside of Intel’s published specifications.

Q2.) Why is Intel offering the Performance Tuning Protection Plan?
A2.) Intel has received feedback from customers who desire to implement overclocking on eligible processors, that because of the lack of any replacement coverage for the eligible processors, the risk of overclocking is too great. We understand this position, and while we cannot endorse overclocking, we want to provide a limited remedy if issues arise as a result of their decision to enable overclocking. The limited remedy consists of a replacement processor (i.e., replacing the processor damaged solely as a result of the overclocking).

Q3.) Does this mean that Intel is supporting or encouraging overclocking?
A3.) No. While we will, under the Plan, replace an eligible processor that fails while running outside of Intel’s specifications, we will not provide any assistance with configuration, data recovery, failure of associated parts, or any other activities or issues associated with the processor or system resulting from overclocking or otherwise running outside of Intel’s published specifications.

Q4.) Under the Plan, how many replacements am I eligible to receive?
A4.) You will receive one replacement processor under the Plan. You cannot purchase multiple Plans for a single processor. The Plan does not transfer to the replacement processor; the Plan only covers a one time replacement.

Q5.) Does this mean that the Intel processors have problems and need this Plan?
A5.) No. Intel is not offering this Plan as a result of issues with the reliability of the processor. The Plan is offered solely to replace a processor in the event the processor fails due to overclocking.

Q6.) What processors does the Plan cover?
A6.) The Plan covers all unlocked processors (with a X or K suffix), and any processor in the LGA2011 socket, starting with Intel® 2nd Generation Core™ processors.

Q7.) Does/Will the plan cover Intel chipset, motherboard and/or SSD?
A7.) The Plan is currently offered only on specific eligible processors.

Q8.) How do I return the eligible processor?
A8.) The return process depends on the purchase process. The purchaser should return the processor to the place of purchase. If the Plan was purchased directly from Intel, contact Intel customer support. .

Q9.) Where do I buy the Plan?
A9.) The Plan is available via a link on your integrator’s website or directly from Intel at www.intel.com/go/tuningplan.

Q10.) Does this Plan mean my standard 3 year warranty is no longer valid?
Q10.) No. The Plan does not affect your standard three year warranty. The standard 3 year warranty covers failures that occur while the processor is used within Intel’s published specifications. The Plan covers an eligible processor that fails due to overclocking.

Q11.) Does the Plan extend the 3 year warranty period for the replaced processor?
A11.) No. The Plan does not extend the 3 year warranty associated with the replaced processor.

Q12.) Does Intel provide some hints/tips on where to start for beginning overclockers?
A12.) Intel does not provide any guidance on overclocking. Overclocking is comprised of many different variables and Intel cannot give general guidance as each individual has their own methodology for overclocking, and Intel does not endorse or recommend overclocking.

Q13.) I lost my registration information: where/how do I get it back?
A13.) Your Plan registration information, including the Plan Activation Certificate (provided at time of Plan purchase), is available from the Performance Tuning Protection Plan website www.intel.com/go/tuningplan. Login using your account and select “View Transaction History” on the home page. Alternatively, please contact Intel Click Customer Support who will be able to assist you in recovering this information.

Q14.) Who is eligible for this Plan? Can anyone purchase it at any time?
A14.) Integrators, resellers and end users are able to purchase the Plan during the first year of eligible processor ownership.

Q15.) What is the price of the Plan?
A15.) It depends on the eligible processor that was purchased. Please refer to the website (www.intel.com/go/tuningplan) for specific pricing.

Q16.) Why is there a waiting period after I purchase the Plan until I can redeem the Plan?
A16.) There are a few reasons why there is a 30 day wait period. First, time is needed for the actual purchase transaction to complete. Secondly, there are number of different databases and systems used to support this program and some amount of time is required for them to synchronize.

Q17.) Do I need to register my eligible processor that is covered by the Plan?
A17.) Your eligible processor is considered registered once you have completed the purchase process and received the Plan Activation Certificate.

Q18.) Who do I contact if I have a question on the program or want to exchange my processor?
A18.) For information requests or warranty exchange requests, please contact Intel Customer Support. For requests related to the purchasing process, go here.

Q19.) How will Intel determine if my processor will be covered by the plan rather than by the standard warranty?
A19.) The processor will be covered by the Plan if the failure occurs while operating the processor outside of the publically available specifications. All other claims are serviced by the standard 3 year warranty.

Q20.) Are there any countries where the Plan is not for sale?
A20.) Yes, there are several countries where the Plan cannot, for legal reasons, be sold. These countries are Burma (Myanmar), Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria.

Q21.) There is a Performance Tuning Utility available from Intel. Is the Performance Tuning Protection Plan associated with this?
A21.) No. The Performance Tuning Utility is a software application that can help you fine tune the performance of a system. The Performance Tuning Protection Plan is a plan that allows for a processor replacement in the event of CPU failure when running out of published specifications.
And the terms:
Performance Tuning Protection Plan

Terms & Conditions

The Performance Tuning Protection Plan (herein referred to as the “Plan”) is a program owned and administered by Intel® Corporation (“Intel”). The Plan is an optional support plan which, if purchased, would provide specific defined benefits in addition to Intel’s standard boxed processor limited warranty. The Plan only applies to issues directly related to performance tuning, and only provides for a one-time replacement for eligible processors. The Plan may be discontinued, or the terms and conditions of the Plan changed by Intel, at any time, and any such changes will not be retroactive. Any change to the Plan will be communicated only by updates to the following website (http://www.intel.com/go/tuningplan). Should the Plan be discontinued, all Plans purchased prior to the date of discontinuation or the date of such change(s) will remain in effect and be honored according to the terms and conditions accompanying the Plan at the time of such purchase. Currently all documentation regarding the Plan will be provided solely in English. Intel disclaims any liability in the event that 'performance tuning' is performed, other than replacement of the Eligible Processor.

Unless specifically set forth below, the terms and conditions for the Plan do not replace, change or otherwise impact the scope or term of Intel’s standard boxed processor limited warranty. No other warranty offered, verbally or in writing, by a distributor, channel partner, reseller or other third party will, in any manner, expand or modify the terms of the Plan. This Plan does not supersede any laws or regulations of the city, state or country.

The Plan provides a one-time replacement: (i) only applicable to the replacement of Eligible Processors (defined below) and (ii) only when the Plan is purchased within one (1) year of the purchase of the Eligible Processor. The Plan may only be purchased from the Plan website (http://www.intel.com/go/tuningplan).

Eligible Processors:

Customer Product Name

Intel® Core™ i5-2500K

Intel® Core™ i7-2600K

Intel® Core™ i7-2700K

Intel® Core™ i7-3930K

Intel® Core™ i7-3960X

Replacement Eligibility: No Eligible Processor replacements will be allowed within the first 30-day period after purchase of the Plan.

Term of the Plan: The Plan provides up to a three (3) year period of coverage, commencing upon the date of purchase of the Plan and extending solely for the duration of the standard boxed processor limited warranty accompanying the Eligible Processor. When purchased, the Plan will continue for an Eligible Processor until either: (i) a claim is brought pursuant to the Plan (by providing the Plan activation code which is provided online after your online transaction purchase of the Plan has been completed (or provided to you from your place of purchase at time of system purchase); verifying purchase within the timeframe noted above, or (ii) more than three (3) years has elapsed from date of purchase of the Eligible Processor.

No Limit on Number of Plans You Can Own: There is no limit to the number of Plans that can be purchased, provided that only one (1) Plan can be purchased per Eligible Processor. There must be a unique Plan activation code for each Plan purchased.

Plan Transfer: Each Plan activation code is associated with the specific Eligible Processor for which it was purchased. A user identification (User ID) and password are required to be established at time of Plan purchase. This allows a user to log into the Plan website and view their transaction history related to a specific Plan activation code. A user may optionally transfer any or all of their purchased Plans to a new user ID on the Plan website (http://www.intel.com/go/tuningplan).

One Replacement Per Plan: There is only one replacement allowed for each Eligible Processor. After the one replacement, the Plan will be deemed terminated. Replacement processors will not be eligible for Performance Tuning Protection Plan purchase.

How to Obtain Replacement Eligible Processors under the Plan

To request a replacement product under the Plan from Intel, you must contact the Intel Customer Support (ICS) center in your region within the eligible coverage period during normal business hours (local time), excluding holidays, and return the Eligible Processor (specifically as directed by the ICS center) to the designated ICS center (http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contact/phone). The ICS center will provide specific instructions for removing the Eligible Processor and (as applicable) any related components. These instructions must be precisely followed to avoid inadvertent damage to the system housing the Eligible Processor.

Please be prepared to provide:

(1) Your name, mailing address, email address and telephone numbers;

(2) Your Plan activation code (provided to you at time of Plan purchase; or provided to you from your place of purchase at time of system purchase);

(3) Retail Box Serial Number; and

(4) An explanation of the problem

The ICS representative may require additional information from you in order to properly process your Plan claim.

Upon ICS’s verification that the Eligible Processor meets the requirements of the Plan, you will be issued a Return Material Authorization (“RMA”) number and provided with instructions for returning the Eligible Processor to the designated ICS center. When you return the Eligible Processor to the ICS center, you must include the RMA number and the Plan activation code on the outside of the package. Intel will not accept any returned Eligible Processor without a valid RMA number on the package. You must deliver the returned Eligible Processor to the designated ICS center, and you assume the risk of damage or loss during such shipment. Freight charges and/or handling fees may apply.

The replacement processor will be shipped to you at Intel’s expense within a reasonable period of time after receipt of the returned Eligible Processor by ICS. The returned Eligible Processor shall become Intel’s property upon receipt by ICS. The replacement is not covered under the terms of this Plan. Nothing herein extends the limited warranty period for the original Eligible Processor.

Exclusions to Coverage. This Plan does NOT cover:

Any costs associated with the removal of the Eligible Processor and/or installation of the replacement, including without limitation, labor, damages to the system, downtime, or any consequential costs incurred by you, and in particular, any costs related to the removal or replacement of any Eligible Processor that is soldered or otherwise permanently affixed to any printed circuit board; OR
Damage to the Eligible Processor due to external causes, including accident, problems with electrical power, abnormal electrical, mechanical or environmental conditions, usage not in accordance with product instructions, misuse, neglect, alteration, repair, improper installation, or improper testing; OR
Any Eligible Processor which has been modified or where the original proprietary markings (trademark, logo or serial number) have been removed, altered or obliterated from the Eligible Processor; OR
Damage to any other component(s) within the system housing the Eligible Processor or the replacement processor.

LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY

INTEL’S RESPONSIBILITY UNDER THIS PLAN OR ANY OTHER WARRANTY, IMPLIED OR EXPRESS, IS LIMITED TO REPLACEMENT OF ELIGIBLE PROCESSORS AS SET FORTH ABOVE. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, INTEL IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES RESULTING FROM ANY BREACH OF WARRANTY OR UNDER ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, LOST PROFITS, DOWNTIME, GOODWILL, DAMAGE TO OR REPLACEMENT OF EQUIPMENT AND PROPERTY, AND ANY COSTS OF RECOVERING, REPROGRAMMING, OR REPRODUCING ANY PROGRAM OR DATA STORED IN OR USED WITH A SYSTEM CONTAINING THE PRODUCT), EVEN IF INTEL HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. Some states (or jurisdictions) do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitations or exclusions may not apply to you.

THIS PLAN GIVES YOU SPECIFIC LEGAL RIGHTS, AND YOU MAY ALSO HAVE OTHER RIGHTS THAT VARY BY STATE OR JURISDICTION.

ANY AND ALL DISPUTES ARISING UNDER OR RELATED TO THIS PLAN SHALL BE ADJUDICATED IN THE FOLLOWING FORUMS AND GOVERNED BY THE

FOLLOWING LAWS: FOR THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, CANADA, NORTH AMERICA AND SOUTH AMERICA, THE FORUM SHALL BE SANTA CLARA, CALIFORNIA, USA AND THE APPLICABLE LAW SHALL BE THAT OF THE STATE OF DELAWARE. FOR THE ASIA PACIFIC REGION (EXCEPT FOR MAINLAND CHINA), THE FORUM SHALL BE SINGAPORE AND THE APPLICABLE LAW SHALL BE THAT OF SINGAPORE. FOR EUROPE AND THE REST OF THE WORLD, THE FORUM SHALL BE LONDON AND THE APPLICABLE LAW SHALL BE THAT OF ENGLAND AND WALES.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
FZ1

Re: Performance Tuning Protection Plan by Intel Announced

Post by FZ1 »

Intel does not endorse or recommend overclocking
but we'll be happy to indemnify you from loss if for a small fee. :lol:
Joe