Matte or Glossy Screen?

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Balranged
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Matte or Glossy Screen?

Post by Balranged »

I've been searching the comparison between Matte and Glossy screen and now I kind of understand the differences. However, I still can't decide which one to go with.lol It is for gaming purpose so the anti-glare and vibrant colors are so hard to choose from. If you are gamer like me, do you prefer the Matte or Glossy? :prayer:
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Matte or Glossy Screen?

Post by Major_A »

I like the colors in glossy screens better but every other option I like better on a matte screen. If there's the slightest bit of glare the glossy screen is going to pick it up. It seems like the viewing angles on a matte screen are better too. Best bet is go to a store where they have displays on the shelf and see for yourself.
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Balranged wrote:I've been searching the comparison between Matte and Glossy screen and now I kind of understand the differences. However, I still can't decide which one to go with.lol It is for gaming purpose so the anti-glare and vibrant colors are so hard to choose from. If you are gamer like me, do you prefer the Matte or Glossy? :prayer:
For games I'd go matte. For graphic arts, the glossy is much better IMO. Glossy screens look crisper to me as well for text etc.
Joe
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Is this for a computer display or a TV?

Is it going in a room with windows or is it going in an inside room with no outside light/glare?
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Sttm
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sttm »

I have a HP 27inch Glossy and recently bought a Samsung 27 inch matte since its also a TV, and the quality difference in color and also the way blacks appear is far far superior with the glossy HP monitor. For the most part the HP is so bright that I only run into glare problems in the afternoon or if I have the blinds wide open. Though I did have to change the lighting in my room to suit the monitor. I also have adjusted to it a lot and it no longer bothers me nearly as much as it used to when there is some glare. I do a lot of gaming, and I like the glossy more because I like the way the colors pop and everything is vibrant but also looks correct. I have used my nVidia control panel to add some more saturation on my matte monitor but its not the same, its not something I can correct like the bad out of the box color balance.

Just looking at these two monitors side by side now at night, the glossy wins. I'ts not even close. In the day with the blinds drawn only for about 15 min would I consider the matte display better. But then it also depends on the actual monitor, get a glossy with weak backlighting and you are going to have glare problems all the time. Color quality and black level also depend on the monitor as well, it could just be my Samsung is mediocre and my HP is great.

Do you have a Frys or Microcenter or Best Buy you could see the monitors in person at? I went into a Frys to compare and I ended up choosing this HP over a Viewsonic because it was glossy and the way it makes the colors pop. Of course I didnt actually buy it at Frys as those jerks wouldn't honor their own online price.
Core i7 2600k/ ASUS P8Z68-V Z68/ 8gb Corsair Vengeance 1600 Blue/ EVGA Geforce GTX 560ti Maximum Graphics Edition/Windows 7/Antec 300/Antec 650w/LG Blu Combo/Hp 27inch 2710M/Samsung P2770HD

"I think sharing is overrated...and helping others. And what's all this crap I've been hearing about tolerance?"