Intel Core i7-3770K 'Ivy Bridge' Overclocked Benchmarking

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Intel Core i7-3770K 'Ivy Bridge' Overclocked Benchmarking

Post by Apoptosis »

Intel Core i7-3770K 'Ivy Bridge' Overclocked Benchmark & Temperature Performance

The Intel Core i7 3770K quad core processor from Intel is the latest and 'greatest'. Though, rumors are abound that despite the smaller manufacturing process the 'Ivy Bridge' 22nm processors run hotter than the previous 'Sandy Bridge' processors. Today we are going to look at the temperatures, power consumption, and an overclocked comparison between 'Sandy Bridge' and 'Ivy Bridge'!

Article Title: Intel Core i7-3770K 'Ivy Bridge' Overclocked Benchmarking
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1924/1/
Pricing At Time of Print: $359.99 shipped
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
jnanster
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Re: Intel Core i7-3370K 'Ivy Bridge' Overclocked Benchmarkin

Post by jnanster »

Nice thoughtful review Dan.
It’s running too hot. :shock:
Was wondering in regards to the infamous TIM issue:
With these high temps, the IHS is bound to be expanding and contracting.
With the chip no longer attached (soldered) to the IHS, thinking that the TIM may, at least, partially fail over time.
Could be a big problem down the road for the 3770. :(
ga-z77-dh3 (great & cheap O/C'er from Gigabyte)
i2600k/16 gigs Kingson 1600 (OC'ed to 4.5Ghz)
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 + (lapped, smok'in deal, 38C idle, 65C loaded)
MSI GTX 660ti Power Edition
Antec 900 case (quiet)
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

92-96C? holly crap! To me anything over 70C is totally unacceptable! It would be nice to know if removing the IHS is fairly safe (I would think so), otherwise this processor is pure crap because of the temp! BTW a die shrink should bring temp decrease, not increase!
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
Velo:Sity

Post by Velo:Sity »

Why would they try to re-invent the wheel though as regards cooling?! The new generation seems more like a step back or at least going in circles.
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

Velo:Sity wrote:Why would they try to re-invent the wheel though as regards cooling?! The new generation seems more like a step back or at least going in circles.
There is a rumor they didn't want to kill the sales of the sandy bridge series. Now, that would be really :vom:
BTW, what's the point of unlocked "k" CPU if it can't be OC'd because of the temps. Stupid morons :evil:
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
neo_rtr
Legit User
Legit User

Re: Intel Core i7-3770K 'Ivy Bridge' Overclocked Benchmarkin

Post by neo_rtr »

If anyone can provide some tips.
Iam unable to lock the multiplier to something like x45 and the buss speed to 100.00Mhz.
The SpreadSpectum even if turned off is not much help as the CPU will go up and down 3.5 to 4.5Ghz.
Will run at 4.5Ghz full load. While Idle, will go down to a different value.
How do i make it run at a 45x100 without any change?
Is it SpeedStep, Is it the Turbo mode, cant figure it out.
I believe the power settings for the PC "set to High Performance" but will double check that.
Points welcome.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

What board and processor are you running?
Follow Me on Twitter!
neo_rtr
Legit User
Legit User

Post by neo_rtr »

Board is Asus P8Z77 WS CPU i7-3773K Ivy Bridge.
16GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-19200 2400MHz TridentX Series
2x in Crossfire PowerColor HD4870X2 2GB
Win7 64. System is WC (dual loop)
PSU:ThermalTake 1200W
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

So after reading your post, it sounds like your PC is running right. It will throttle down at idle for power savings. Only at load will it hit a multiplier of 45, which is what your ASUS board is doing. Does that make sense? You wouldn't want it stuck at 4.5Ghz all the time.

You can see the various power states of a stock 3770K here - http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1914/2/

Should idle down at the 16 multiplier.

Follow Me on Twitter!
neo_rtr
Legit User
Legit User

Post by neo_rtr »

Yes you are correct. Throttle is the correct word.So lets pose for a moment that i do not want to "throttle" down at all.
That i want to be stuck at 4.5Ghz. What do i have to change?
My simple interpretation of The SpreadSpectum is just that. That if i disable be, it should be not throttling at all.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

You aren't thinking of Spread Spectrum correctly. Here is a brief description of what Spread Spectrum is.
Spread Spectrum:

When the motherboard's clock generator pulses, the extreme values (spikes) of the pulses creates EMI (Electromagnetic Interference). The Spead Spectrum function reduces the EMI generated by modulating the pulses so that the spikes of the pulses are reduced to flatter curves. It does so by varying the frequency so that it doesn't use any particular frequency for more than a moment. This reduces interference problems with other electronics in the area.

However, while enabling Spread Spectrum decreases EMI, system stability and performance may be slightly compromised. This may be especially true with timing-critical devices like clock-sensitive SCSI devices.

Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology:

Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology is an advanced means of enabling very high performance while also meeting the power-conservation needs of mobile systems. Conventional Intel SpeedStep Technology switches both voltage and frequency in tandem between high and low levels in response to processor load.
That is why disabling that feature doesn't disable the dynamic clock speed. Try disabling Intel SpeedStep technology and if that doesn't work play with the idle state settings in the BIOS.
Follow Me on Twitter!
neo_rtr
Legit User
Legit User

Post by neo_rtr »

Intel SpeedStep is disabled by the way.
The Enhanced Intel SpeedStep suggests that the power options of the OS regulate teh speed of the CPU. PowerOptions/High performance.

Unfortunatly i do not find the Idle state.
The CPU Ration is manually set to a given value i.e 45
Iam note sure if any of the Turbo options have to do with the this throttling.
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

Why would anyone want the CPU @ full OC speed all the time, even when just surfing the net? Seems plain stupid...
neo_rtr
Legit User
Legit User

Post by neo_rtr »

sbohdan wrote:Why would anyone want the CPU @ full OC speed all the time, even when just surfing the net? Seems plain stupid...
Regardless of what you may think is behind the reason for a full OC speed. If you know how one can do it pls share it with us.
neo_rtr
Legit User
Legit User

Post by neo_rtr »

My theory of why one can not adjust to full load with out throttling is this.
There is some interaction between CPU ratio (manual page 3-14) and Enhanced Intel Speedstep as well as Turbo mode (manual page 3-15)
Cpu ration above 35 turns the following to enabled by default.
Therefore the base value x100 times the CPU ration will give you 3.5Ghz. The CPU will operate at 3.5Ghz.
Increasing the CPU ratio turns ON or Enables both Enhanced Intel Speedstep as well as Turbo mode, and therefore you have throttling (anywhere between 1.6Ghz-4,5Ghz in my case)
One can disable Enhanced Intel Speedstep but not Turbo mode.
Now if this is by design i dont know. I would like however to be able to "lock" the CPU ratio to what ever speed i wish for what ever purpose that is.
riogamer
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by riogamer »

i hope intel next gen i7 4770k is better than 3770k in overclocking and more lower temp like sandy bridge :mrgreen:
INeedAFnSuffix
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by INeedAFnSuffix »

sbohdan wrote:92-96C? holly crap! To me anything over 70C is totally unacceptable! It would be nice to know if removing the IHS is fairly safe (I would think so), otherwise this processor is pure crap because of the temp! BTW a die shrink should bring temp decrease, not increase!
Fairly safe. If you know how to do it properly but you will definitely kill it's resale value and the warranty. But anyway intel is fairly confident they can withstand 100C die temp.
neo_rtr wrote:Yes you are correct. Throttle is the correct word.So lets pose for a moment that i do not want to "throttle" down at all.
That i want to be stuck at 4.5Ghz. What do i have to change?
My simple interpretation of The SpreadSpectum is just that. That if i disable be, it should be not throttling at all.
What? Spreadspectrum is for the VRMs and how much EMI they produce. Don't use "throttling" it's just DOWNCLOCKING to save power. Throttling is only when temps go WAY WAY too high that the cpu has to downclock in order to save itself from dying a fiery death
DJ Tucker
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DJ Tucker »

thats a hot cpu. if only intel kept with the 1st and 2nd generation heat speaders and the heat wouldn't be so bad. maybe do what the japanese company did and use better TIM. however you still got 4.7ghz at that temp. impressive in all honesty :)
MSI Z590 Gaming Edge Wifi
Core i7 10700KF 5Ghz @ 1.25v With Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super 1980Mhz @ 0.925v With TechN GPU Block
32Gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600Mhz 16-18-18-38
Aqua Computer Ultitube 200 Pro D5 Next
Corsair XR5 240mm x2 & 360mm
Intel 670p 2Tb & WD Blue M.2 2Tb
Corsair HX1000i
Philips Momentum 3000 24" (Main) & MSI Optix G241V E2 (Second)
Lian Li O11D
Roccat Vulcan 120 Aimo, Roccat Kone Aimo Remastered and Roccat Sym Pro Air