Building a new rig

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Nobahar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Building a new rig

Post by Nobahar »

Finally got the funds together to build. I'm aiming for 800-1000 price range.

Here's what I'm planning so far.

Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz LGA 1155 Processor (Ivy bridge) 190 microcenter
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H LGA 1155 Z77 ATX Intel Mothe... 110 microcenter (bundled deal)
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 47 newegg
EVGA GeForce GTX 570 1280 MB GDDR5 245 AR amazon
120GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 90 newegg (legitdeals :P)
WD Caviar Blue 1 TB 100 amazon
Corsair Gaming Series 700 Watt High Performance ATX Power Supply 97 microcenter AR
NZXT Case (already have so not factored in cost)
DVD/RW 20

Total as shown about 899, which plus tax will probably be within my budget. I'd appreciate any comments on the choices or alternatives. The stuff that stings me right now is the power supply and secondary hard drive. I don't think I'll get a price drop on the 570gtx, my alternative was the ati 6870 which is a much cheaper and less powerful card. But AMD drivers make me rage. I'm going to wait for memorial day to see any emerging deals.
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Building a new rig

Post by DragonFury »

A very decent looking set up, The only thing I would change is the PSU for a bigger capacity (it is not a necessity, but I like to go with 750+ watts) maybe get a bit more memory. if you have to choose I go with more memory.
Mini ME
Is in a state of flux....
Nobahar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Nobahar »

I could get a OCZ 750w power supply at microcenter for 60 bucks, cheaper and bigger capacity. I'm just concerned about how much more reliable Corsair really is, I thought of OCZ as a good brand. As far as memory, I've got two more slots I could always expand them in the future.
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DragonFury »

Corsair is a great brand.
Mini ME
Is in a state of flux....
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Corsair power supplies are solid and the best out there.

If you need proof look at the LR test benches. Corsair powers all of our main test systems and we have had zero failures on them. We started out with the HX620 in 2006 and just retired them in 2011 after five years of perfect service. We then switched over to HX850's and all of them are still alive and kicking with no issues.

In my personal system I have an AX650 Gold, in my gaming PC i have an AX1200 Gold and in my HTPC I have an old VX450W from 2007 that is still running fine five years after it was put into service.

Corsair makes awesome power supplies and it's the only PSU I'll run. I think 750 Watts is ideal . Remember you want a PSU to match your usage scenario for efficiency, so going too big will just increase your power bill.

Here is me personal system - http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1922/1/

Intel 3770K with a GeForce 670 in it. It's pulling 225 Watts in some games, so my 650 Watt power supply is too much as at full load I'm not even running the PSU at 50%. Corsair does not make any smaller AX series PSU's though.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!