Advice & Suggestions on first build under $3k budget

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Advice & Suggestions on first build under $3k budget

Post by DragonFury »

I can't do even 5% of the stuff I do on this computer on a console. when it pertains to games, consoles are inferior to what computers can do, plain and simple.
Mini ME
Is in a state of flux....
TBGAPowa
Legit User
Legit User

Post by TBGAPowa »

updated the list. switched to sabertooth z77 motherboard, can’t choose between the two headsets so if any audiophiles could voice their opinions that would be great and i am still planning on downgrading to a 120gb ssd instead but don’t know if i should go with the lower iOPS. I chose the creative card over asus ones as most gamers have mentioned better clarity for gaming and movies, for music asus ones are better certainly but i’m not that big on music. which GPU 670/80 do you guys recommend since i won’t be hardcore OCing
Intel Core i7 3770k / Asus P8Z77-V / Asus Direct CUII GTX 670 / G. Skill Ares 1600 16GB (2x8) / Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB / Samsung 830 256GB / ASUS DRW-24B1ST 24x DVD-Writer / Noctua NH-D14 / Corsair AX850 / NZXT Switch 810 Gunmetal / Dell Ultrasharp U2412M / Corsair Vengeance K90 / Razer Naga 2012 / Razer Goliathus Speed Medium / JVC HA RX 700 / Wacom Bamboo Splash / Canon CanoScan LiDE 110
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DragonFury »

if i get nvidia based vids i normally get them from evga.

I get the 256 gig as this give you more flexibility on what to install onto the ssd. like photo shop programs etc. programs that don't work to well on a different partition/drive. I still think a X79 based system be the better option. I am also in the market for a new computer and i chose the x79 platform because of the native PCI-E lanes available, and it is right around the same cost as a ivy bridge. give or take about 50 USD.
Mini ME
egloeckle
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by egloeckle »

vbironchef wrote:
DragonFury wrote:Game console? you on drugs or something? Then what would you say about my current rig? core i 7 970, R2E, 12 gigs of mem, 2 320 momentus hdds, 1 SSd 128 gig, 1 tb hdd, 2 6970 vids, 2 koolance 697 blocks, koolance 360 cpu block, 1 quad 120mm XSPC rad, 1 Swiftech triple 120mm rad , PC power and cooling 950 watt PSU, 3 x 24" LED 1920 x 1080 monitors. And hopefully in the next couple of weeks i will be switching out to a X79 based board with a 3820 CPU with 16 gigs of memory. think I should use a console over the above system? You are definitely on drugs my friend and it isnt the good kind.
Your wasting your money as well.
Hate commenting on a few day old thread, but this type of thinking annoys me. Who is to say $3k is a lot of money to the OP? I get told this from time to time about crap I spend money on and it just annoys me. My situation is my own situation, it does not apply to anyone else. Its like saying "why did you spend $200k on a condo when you could have just gotten a trailer for $50k and spent the rest on hookers and blow...". Ok, bad example but the point I believe is valid. If $3k is what he as accepted as a budget for this project that he can afford and he wants to spend $3k then good for him. Worst case is he ends up spending less, better to error in that way then to go over.

If you are that worried about what others spend their money on, I am sure a few of us here can make you really sad (and in some cases myself sad as well) :)
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Totally agree with you egloeckle. My point was that the more you spend doesn't always equate to much faster performance compared to the extra money spent. Not to mention in six months the computer is already outdated. He was asking for advice and I gave him mine. I have spent on things that were totally a waste of money too. :) I'm still looking at a 2K dollar sub woofer that I won't even plug in because it causes my neighbors to complain. What a waste!
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DragonFury »

it a lot of ways it does actually. Because lets say I want to do some video clean ups and convert them from one type of video format to another. I am using a dual core CPU, it is going to take a seriously long time to do that task. throw that same job on my hex, things happen to get done loads faster. performance in multitasking improves as well, instead of being able to do 1-2 things and max out a CPU i can do 8 or 9 things and still have plenty of CPU left for other tasking. Even though I rarely get to 8 things, I do, do things that can reach up to 6 separate tasks on a regular basis. As for the 3 24" monitors I will show you on what my desktop looks like when I do a review.

I covered the sites editor and placed Legits Review forums in that spot. but as you can see my desk top gets extremely cluttered when I do certain things. If I were to do this same job on a single monitor I would go nuts. So by having a multi monitor set up like I do, it not only makes games fun as hell, it also improves productivity. Yes the above image will fit pretty much in a 1920 x 1080 monitor.

So if TBGAPowa can afford A multi monitor set up like 3 24" monitors then I highly recommend them.
Mini ME
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

If you look at TBGAPowa first post it will tell you that he/she wants to air cool and not overclock very much if at all. DragonFury With buying 3 monitors that does not leave much room for a 3,000K computer. I like what KnightRid said,
KnightRid wrote:$3000 is WAY too much to spend for what you want to do with it. Again, my opinion.
Unless TBGAPowa is a pro gamer, I don't see the point. In six months he/she can upgrade after the computer is built. TBGAPowa can always add newer and faster parts as needed. Once you buy everything at once your done. I like to upgrade and consider my options first.
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DragonFury »

I can do a 3 monitor set up for as low as 400 USD, or i can go has high as 3k. the one I am using costed me 600 USD. so it is not as expensive as one might think.
Mini ME
TBGAPowa
Legit User
Legit User

Post by TBGAPowa »

which monitors? i am aiming at dell ultrasharps. mind you canadian price and be much higher
Intel Core i7 3770k / Asus P8Z77-V / Asus Direct CUII GTX 670 / G. Skill Ares 1600 16GB (2x8) / Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB / Samsung 830 256GB / ASUS DRW-24B1ST 24x DVD-Writer / Noctua NH-D14 / Corsair AX850 / NZXT Switch 810 Gunmetal / Dell Ultrasharp U2412M / Corsair Vengeance K90 / Razer Naga 2012 / Razer Goliathus Speed Medium / JVC HA RX 700 / Wacom Bamboo Splash / Canon CanoScan LiDE 110
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Just remember that this is his first build. We don't know his tech level. I use dell 24" high end monitors. I think I paid over 500 dollars for each one. I have two. That was a couple of years ago. Prices may have come down since then.

Edit: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/prod ... u=320-8277 Price 549.00 dollars each.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

I recommend the following:

For your case, memory, power supply, cpu cooler (h80) buy Corsair.
Motherboard: Asus
Graphic card: Evga
dvd burner: Samsung
Keyboard and mouse: Choose whatever you like. I prefer microsoft wireless.
No sound card.
speakers: Whatever you like, I have logitech.
SSD: Intel.
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DragonFury »

unless you plan on doing professional grade photos and videos the everyday standard monitor like this one HERE will do just fine. Dells personally I think are way overly priced, I used a couple of their monitors and honestly they are a smidgin better then the typical monitors. not enough of being better to off set the cost of them.

get a sound card, onboard sound just plain sucks.
Mini ME
egloeckle
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by egloeckle »

DragonFury wrote:unless you plan on doing professional grade photos and videos the everyday standard monitor like this one HERE will do just fine. Dells personally I think are way overly priced, I used a couple of their monitors and honestly they are a smidgin better then the typical monitors. not enough of being better to off set the cost of them.

get a sound card, onboard sound just plain sucks.
You are not comparing apples to apples here. The monitor you linked is an MVA panel, the Dells linked above are IPS panels. There is a rather substantial difference based on what they will be used for. IPS panels are definitely worth the cash if you are doing anything that absolutely must be color accurate. MVA panels are 8-bit, but they do have some issues that hurt the color accuracy. I work with a lot of graphic artists and printing companies, and they just cant work with anything short of a good IPS panel, it really becomes noticeable once the item is produced if the colors are not accurate from design to production.
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DragonFury »

For what i do with my computer system a out dated console will never be able to do. Like Photoshop, video editing, gaming, surfing the internet, writing, school work, auto cad. No Console will ever be able to do them listed. Not to forget I can play just about any file format imaginable movies, or music, what can a console do in this regards?
Mini ME
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I wonder if he ever built this system... The original poster originally posted this 2 months ago.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DragonFury »

I am kind of curious myself.
Mini ME
TBGAPowa
Legit User
Legit User

Post by TBGAPowa »

erm, its in my sig. thank you for all your help guys