How to fix the budget deficit!

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

How to fix the budget deficit!

Post by vbironchef »

This is my own point of view so please give feedback, I'm sure everyone has something to say!

To fix the budget deficit I suggest the following:

1. Any state that has not passed a balanced budget amendment should not be allowed to voice their opinion or vote in D.C.. Each State would lose all federal aid except for natural disasters.

2. All Federal congressmen or women would get minimum wage pay until a approved balanced budget is in place for each state, with no retro active pay.

3. Until a federal budget is approved, a pay freeze would be in place until a balanced budget is in place.

4. Cut spending and extend Bush's tax cuts.

5. All federal employees go to a 401K plan like the rest of us. Reduce pensions by 1/2 and start a 401k plan. People with less than ten years to retire are exempt. This includes the Military.

6. Every student that graduates high school and does not go to college has to enter the military for two years. Any illegal immigrant that spends four years in the military with good conduct will get a green card or better yet, citizenship!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How to fix the budget deficit!

Post by Apoptosis »

my fix...

Only allow people that pay taxes to vote on anything dealing with money. How can we get a fair vote when the people are milking the cow?
Nearly half (49.1 percent) of the American population lives in households that received some form of government benefit in the first quarter of 2011, the Wall Street Journal reported last month, citing US Census data.

This number has grown steadily since 1983, when it was 30 percent, and has jumped drastically since the start of the recession in 2008, rising 5 percentage points in only three years.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

I have issue with number 6.

College is VERY overblown on importance. I know several people that have never went to college and make a very nice living and pay a lot in taxes, do nice things with charity. Bugs me to no end when people say you MUST go to college. It should only be a requirement for fields that need it.

Trade schools are good as well.

World needs ditch diggers. No need for a masters to dig ditches. Guy I know through work runs a nice business doing just that. Digging ditches and drillig holes. The company accountant has a very nice degree, as he should. The welder in the shop, trade school.

Forcing military service is not the way to get a good military. Ever been forced to do something to don't want to do? Bet you were pretty cranky the whole time. And before someone says I'm hate'n on the military, I'm not. Have lost a family member in every action since WW1. Multiple have served. Have a couple friends currently serving.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

why you hate'n on the military??
Follow Me on Twitter!
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

I would also add...

Cut the spending for welfare by at least 50%. Remove all houses from programs as they cost a TON of money to keep in shape, up to code, etc. Build some trailer parks around the country with gates around them and make the people who want to live there have a job, pay rent at an acceptable level or work around the park and make sure nobody is in the park who shouldnt be after a certain time of night.

Food stamps should be discontinued and the same food our schools feed our children should be given to families in need. If you are in dire need of taxpayer money to feed yourself and children then you should not have a problem with feeding what we provide.

Yes, I hate the welfare program due the the massive amount of abuse! Feeling sorry for someone is ok but just handing out money willy nilly to anyone who has their hand out and can pop out babies needs to stop.

All donations to government election campaigns will be taxed at a rate of 75% - that would raise some needed funds or reduce the ridiculous amounts flowing in for a job that doesnt even pay much, compared to the campaign expenditures

Yea, I am getting old and cranky :p Still believe every word above would help out a LOT. None of it will happen because people are too "caring". Well until the number of losers asking for handouts overtakes the amount of people wanting to actually work and make something of themselves, then people might wake up and see I was right to take a hard stand on welfare :)
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

bubba wrote:I have issue with number 6.

College is VERY overblown on importance. I know several people that have never went to college and make a very nice living and pay a lot in taxes, do nice things with charity. Bugs me to no end when people say you MUST go to college. It should only be a requirement for fields that need it.

Trade schools are good as well.
Trade schools would count as college.

I agree mostly with what KnightRid said.
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DragonFury »

Now ther is more then one to fix our government. Bush tax cuts is not one of them. But taxing everyone higher isn't one either. and cutting social programs is not a solution either, because unfortunately if it was not for them when i was younger and during my earlier adult years you would not have seen me today. VA is considered a "Social program", just for your information, because Of bush's cuts to social programs I had to deal with a blown knee for over 8 years that was caused by my service in the US Army, so consequently I could not hold a job because my knee would cause severe pain. it also seriously limited my movements, and because of having to deal with this for 8 years, when it has caused irreversable damage to my knee that if my knee was fixed a long time ago I be 100%. So by cutting "social programs" you not only kill it for future people but those who actually want to make a difference in this life time, ie myself. Just something to think about. One way to fix our money issue is to stop sending money to other countries, stop helping other countries that end up pissing on us after we have helped them ie iraq, iran, afganistan, pakistan etc. etc. Invoke a flat tax rate, but not on income. But on consumable goods (this way no one can get out of paying them. including illegal immigrants, tourists, and just about everyone else who comes to the US.)

As I said there is more then one to skin a cat, I am sure if I sit down long enough I can come up with all kinds of different ways we can fix our country. But it all boils down to one thing, US, We The People. And We The People can make a difference, but only if we want to, but unfortunately the majority of We The People don't really care, so therefore they just vote for the Status Quo, and who are also so afraid of change it is not even funny. And one key thing to helping our economy is by putting more women in higher positions, and kick the old fogies out.
Mini ME
Is in a state of flux....
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Pa. mayor cuts city workers' pay to minimum wage. http://news.yahoo.com/pa-mayor-cuts-cit ... 12907.html Looks like this is the wave of the future. Right before bankruptcy.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

last ditch effort to keep people working until they can get a solution.

This is all a mess.
Follow Me on Twitter!
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

vbironchef wrote:2. All Federal congressmen or women would get minimum wage pay until a approved balanced budget is in place for each state, with no retro active pay.
I guess that applies to State and local city governments as well as all public employees.

I would hate having to retire in the next five years and was counting on a pension from any form of the government.
Apoptosis wrote:last ditch effort to keep people working until they can get a solution.

This is all a mess.

And then some.

Edit: Another California city opts for bankruptcy: http://money.msn.com/business-news/arti ... d=15316411
skier

Post by skier »

KnightRid wrote:Well until the number of losers asking for handouts overtakes the amount of people wanting to actually work and make something of themselves, then people might wake up and see I was right to take a hard stand on welfare :)
we're only 1% away, and at the rate we're going it will be before the end of 2012

I personally agree that welfare is crap, and so is food stamps. its hard to support something that is abused the way it is. welfare is'nt help- it is an excuse not to work for what you have (and to spend all day trading narcotics and weed to other people on welfare). there HAS to be a set limit on the length of time a person can be on welfare and food stamps, if someone has been on welfare for 25 years, they obviously have no plan to get off it, and why would they.

(particular hot topic for me because one of my cousins is on welfare & stamps & my relatives seem to think it is a good idea to keep giving her new cars after she keeps crashing them/her boyfriends steal them- WHERES MY NEW CAR)
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
Clouseau
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Clouseau »

Time limits on welfare is all fine and good but the program is executed in such a way that the beneficiaries become dependent on it; a revolving door progam. While on the progrm you are only allowed so much in the bank, like $3,000 max. otherwise you get penalized. Finding any job is a penalty, even though the job does not pay enough to cover food, shelter, and the portion of medical bills that amount to the deductable. Inother words, they are not allowed to actually get on their feet before benefits are completely taken away. I agree it needs to be fixed but is so intertwined with other social programs the whole social program network would need to get overhauled before any fix could actually be seen as a sucess.

Social Security, when my daughter was born, three months early, My wife and I were informed by the hospital's social worker that it would be in our best interest to apply for supplemental SSI for her. This would cover all medical expenditures not paid by our insurance; meaning zero out-of-pocket for us. This door only opened up becuase while being a premi she was only 653 grams as well. While I was very interested in applying for this, since she was going to be in hte NICU for three months, I was very upset about this "benefit" at the same time. How could she qualify for funds out the Social Security Fund when she had not contributed anything to it yet. Missed qualifing for it by $50. If our 401k's did not exist, we would have qualified. Finished paying her off just two years ago; she's nine now. Do not think SSI was initally created with the intent of expensing funds to individuals that did not contribute to the fund.

Fix the economy / deficit - go back to the time where the Federal Tax Return "long" form literally fit on the back of a post card. There were no supporting schedules or loopholes that kept opening up the more that was made. Compromise, if a post card is out of the question then just a single side of an 8-1/2 x 11 sheet of paper.
Antec900 case|PhenomII 940 (3.57Ghz @ 1.4625v)|Zalman CPNS9700NT|M3A32-MVP Deluxe WiFi/AP|Bios 1903|MSI HD6950 Twin Frozer III|Catalyst 11.11|8GB(4x2GB)DDR2-800@840 G.Skill PI-Black (4-4-4-10 @ 1.82v)|2xWD1600YS in Raid0|Antec HCP 1200|Pioneer BDC-202 Blu-ray ROM|ASUS E616A3T DVD-ROM|ASUS DRW-1814BLT DVD-RW|VISTA Ultimate x64 SP2
a_good_citizen
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by a_good_citizen »

vbironchef wrote:This is my own point of view so please give feedback, I'm sure everyone has something to say!

To fix the budget deficit I suggest the following:

1. Any state that has not passed a balanced budget amendment should not be allowed to voice their opinion or vote in D.C.. Each State would lose all federal aid except for natural disasters.

2. All Federal congressmen or women would get minimum wage pay until a approved balanced budget is in place for each state, with no retro active pay.

3. Until a federal budget is approved, a pay freeze would be in place until a balanced budget is in place.

4. Cut spending and extend Bush's tax cuts.

5. All federal employees go to a 401K plan like the rest of us. Reduce pensions by 1/2 and start a 401k plan. People with less than ten years to retire are exempt. This includes the Military.

6. Every student that graduates high school and does not go to college has to enter the military for two years. Any illegal immigrant that spends four years in the military with good conduct will get a green card or better yet, citizenship!
Well, these are all unfair measures and will create more problems than they would solve...

here are the Debt, Budget Deficit and Current account balance of United States numbers:

Debt - external
$14.71 trillion (30 June 2011)

Current account balance
-$599.9 billion (2011 est.)

Budget surplus (+) or deficit (-)
-8.6% of GDP (2011 est.)

To fix the above, its not enough to do some budget cuts and you can't expect the states to have a positive budget surplus out of the blue...
The solution is to:

1- Encourage Entrepreneurs to build new businesses i.e. more jobs + more income to the country
2- Encourage US companies to higher US citizens... Most US products are manufactured in India and China... that is why their economy is growing and our economy is falling down
3- Give incentives for new businesses, for any company manufacturing its products 100% in United States
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Follow a plan,(budget), or plan to fail. (KISS).
mmi
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by mmi »

Only allow people that pay taxes to vote on anything dealing with money. How can we get a fair vote when the people are milking the cow?
I assume you are referring to federal incomes taxes. Be careful what you wish for. As the recent debate over Mr. Romney's comments regarding the electorate illuminates, your suggestion would exclude many elderly citizens who vote disproportionately for Republican candidates. And what about disabled veterans?

As a partisan Democrat, I admit I take some pleasure in the way this right-wing canard has played out. As the story goes, liberal legislators vote to fund spending programs that purchase political support from an army of bums and moochers. The widespread belief in this nonsense led Romney to give that wealthy audience what it wanted to hear. His extraordinarily clumsiness as a candidate led him to make what may turn out to be a fatal gaffe — a claim that nearly half the population supports President Obama because they cannot be persuaded to take responsibility for themselves and instead choose to benefit from this undeserved largesse. Poetic justice in my eyes.

But as a patriotic American, I sincerely hope that we can move beyond this fractious argument to a more productive discussion of how we can work together to create a more efficient and more humane society. Perhaps this controversy over the 47 percent can play an important role in that process.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

mmi wrote:
I assume you are referring to federal incomes taxes. Be careful what you wish for. As the recent debate over Mr. Romney's comments regarding the electorate illuminates, your suggestion would exclude many elderly citizens who vote disproportionately for Republican candidates. And what about disabled veterans?

As a partisan Democrat, I admit I take some pleasure in the way this right-wing canard has played out. As the story goes, liberal legislators vote to fund spending programs that purchase political support from an army of bums and moochers. The widespread belief in this nonsense led Romney to give that wealthy audience what it wanted to hear. His extraordinarily clumsiness as a candidate led him to make what may turn out to be a fatal gaffe — a claim that nearly half the population supports President Obama because they cannot be persuaded to take responsibility for themselves and instead choose to benefit from this undeserved largesse. Poetic justice in my eyes.

But as a patriotic American, I sincerely hope that we can move beyond this fractious argument to a more productive discussion of how we can work together to create a more efficient and more humane society. Perhaps this controversy over the 47 percent can play an important role in that process.
I don't think it will be that simple.

How well will the moochers take it if they pull all of their free housing away and make them pay at least 50% of the cost? Some of these houses are hundreds of thousands of dollars to own and rent would be extremely high.

How well will they take it if you tell them they have to get a job or lose ALL free support?

How well would they take it if you told them the American people will only support 1 child and if you have more when you cant afford it, you will be responsible yourself (I know, the horror of responsibility)

These are just a few of the items that need to change to make people get out there and fend for themselves.

Here is a good one - if you do not have a high school diploma you are not eligible for benefits until you successfully complete your required courses to get an actual diploma and not a GED.

Too many people have their hands out and just sit at home doing nothing while they are able to work, they are just too lazy. Seriously, my neighbor told me she will not get a job until her children are in school because she doesn't trust anyone with her children but herself. Must be nice to not work and get everything handed to you so you can raise your children. I guess she trusts the school teachers though since she wont home school *sigh*.

Funding needs to be cut drastically to these handout programs. If there is nothing to get for free by having 10 kids, will you still have those 10 kids or will you have children based on your ability to feed them?

There has to be a solution to this problem but I honestly do not think it will be resolved until we can get more business to operate in the USA and make people find work that pays a decent wage.

For every person you have working for you that gross' $1,000,000 a year you must create a new full time job. Make that for every million each person gross'. CEO makes 18 million a year, you have to create 18 new full time jobs. Major sports would just be flooded with openings. Why not though. Is it overstepping government boundaries? If so then tax anything coming into this country at a rate to compensate for getting it so cheaply elsewhere so it makes it more viable to produce the same product in the USA again. We need manufacturing back in the States.

As far as paying taxes to vote - sounds great. I know a lot of senior citizens that have to pay taxes because of investments and such. I also know a whole lot of them that have to pay property and school taxes. Yes I think paying those taxes should allow a person to vote also.

This is a far reaching debate that would have to be done in steps but socialism needs to be stopped to keep the lazy people with their hands out from thinking they have the right to do it. Of course, if the government wants to pay, feed, house, clothe and give medical coverage to everyone for free, then by all means, give us exactly what the members of congress get :finga:
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
mmi
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by mmi »

Hey KnightRid

>>Too many people have their hands out and just sit at home doing nothing while they are able to work, they are just too lazy.

In my experience working with low-income families, laziness and an unwillingness to work are issues that seldom arise. Low levels of education (which you correctly point to) and a lack of employment opportunities are a common problem. No set of public policies for dealing with poverty will ever be perfect, but I think we can move closer to an effective system if we turn away from the notion that poor people are lazy and accept the idea that almost everyone wants to improve their economic situation and provide a decent quality of life for their children. As recent studies (and common sense) indicate:
A strong economy contributed to the success of welfare reform in the late 1990s; now, a weak economy has wiped out most of those gains. — Many States Cutting TANF Benefits Harshly Despite High Unemployment and Unprecedented Need
If we want to implement policies that require families receiving public assistance to be employed, we should avoid events like the 2008-09 financial collapse that led to a sharp increase in unemployment.

I don't expect middle-class families to take responsibility for the poor decisions and irresponsible life-style of others. But who is responsible for our current economic difficulties? What group played the system for its benefit? Very large financial institutions created exotic instruments like credit default swaps and then built a house of cards that allowed them to rake in huge profits. When the structure collapsed, the world economy was pushed to the brink of a worldwide depression. Perhaps those are the people who should be held responsible. In my view, large amounts of wealth accumulated by a small number of individuals does not lead to job creation — economic demand does. A strong middle class is the economic engine that can move our society forward and help those who struggle to provide for themselves and their families find opportunity to better their situation.
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DragonFury »

it is easy to criticize those who need subsistence from those who pretty much every squared away. It is not until you lose everything when you truly know what it is like to start from absolutely nothing. It is not easy, trust me, Everyone thinks that oh you can get a job and support yourself, and if there no jobs there you can go to another city and find work. But how can one find a job when no one is hiring, and if an individual has nothing already how in the sam hell can he move to a new city to find work? The key thing here is to get people to work, how can the government do this? Well they can start funding NASA itself and that will take care of the jobs, look at 1960-1990 during the by the end of the decade I am going to put a man on the moon JFK 1960, and Regans Push for failed "Star Wars" program but either way it still created jobs during these times.

There are other ways on helping reducing the deficit, one is implement a flat tax rate on all consumables 15% eliminate income taxes altogether. so whether you are rich, or poor, a criminal, an illegal, or a tourist from Mother Russia they all pay taxes, and it is fair 100%. But cutting social programs is not the answer, remember the VA (yes those soldiers you so claim to support) is considered a social program..... I know this because of Bush's cut backs during his riegn of hell, caused me to deal with a bad knee for over 10 years, which in the end caused me to lose my entire livelihood. There are others like me who were never in the military and they have to deal with the same things I do but they don't get the help they need medical or anything else. SO instead of blaming t on one person or group or anyone for that matter lets get together and find solutions. But I forgot it is easier to bitch moan or groan and talk sh.t and not do anything about it.
Mini ME
Is in a state of flux....
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

I do not consider the VA a "social program" because the only way you are eligible is if you served in the military, so I consider it a military program.

As for jobs. Most every newspaper across the country has job openings. Most every unemployment office has job openings. Maybe it is not up to certain standards, like taking a minimum wage or close to it job from a company but there are jobs. Would be interesting to see how many times a person on welfare went to the unemployment office to look at jobs, looked at a newspaper for jobs, or just went out and put in applications for jobs they are qualified for.

In my experience the only time the low income (the ones getting the bulk of the handouts and whom are not elderly or disabled) want to work is if they can no longer get free handouts for one reason or another. Does it sound cruel, yes. Is it true, I would bet on it.

When people get free housing, or close to it, they are given vouchers. These vouchers can be used in a certain area I believe, not sure if they can be transferred to different states or not, so the people using the vouchers have a choice of where they want to live. Te ones attached to me decided to live in a rural area with no employment real close that they could walk to, no buses they could ride, yet a mother and 2 children are surviving without any problem. Well, of course she has her boyfriend living there using his mothers car while he works and they don't report it to welfare so they dont have to pay their fair share. Report it, I get my life threatened, my families lives threatened, and why, because they will lose some of the free handouts and actually have to pay their fair share. Does the housing administration care? No. Do the main HUD people care? No. Does the management company care? No. As long as taxpayer money flows freely through organizations whose main duty is to provide for people if they dont work or dont want to work this kind of abuse will happen and as a taxpayer you just need to shut the hell up and deal with it or your life will be made into a living hell by the same people who have their hands out taking your tax money.

Social programs HAVE to be cut. I think there still needs to be a support system but if you are able to work and there are jobs, then you WILL work and pay your fair share.

Hell I am on disability due to a work injury. Doctor disabled me, SS gave me benefits and I have such severe restrictions (because it is my neck) that no company would even want to give me a chance. We cant get any assistance because my wife works, except the disability check each month. So we have to struggle to make sure we can pay bills and pay for every single thing out of our pockets while the low income take our money to live in a system that allows people to do it and never makes them do anything for themselves. For arguments sake, I get a little over $700 a month with medical through my wifes work because it is cheaper than medicare. How much does it cost to support the low income with free food, free medical, free housing, free cellphones, free lawyers, free well pretty much anything they want. Yes, I am tired of it.

Do low income people deserve houses? NO THEY DONT! Do they deserve a place to live? YES. Buy some mobile home parks around the country, pay for 24/7 security and if anyone breaks the rules they will lose ALL help they receive. I am so tired of everybody babying the poor because they cant do this, they cant do that. I know over 50% of them (probably a LOT higher) put themselves in this situation, let them get themselves out.

I grew up on welfare. My mom was a single mother raising 2 kids getting $5 a week child support. I know how the system works. My mother worked every day and could not make enough to support us without the help of welfare. Big point SHE WORKED. Getting help while you are trying is a lot different than getting help while you sit on your ass watching free tv and eating free food all while living in your free house. Kicker of this story....There was a rule (might still be, it would explain the amount of children welfare women seem to have) once your children were in school your funding would be decreased over time or cut outright. You know what the awesome welfare person told my mom to do? Get pregnant. 100% truth. If you have more kids then you can stay on the programs.

How are programs like that helping anyone?

Cut funding for all housing and the rest by at least 50%. We can cut our defense spending to protect our own country but just dont touch those free handouts. It's sad.

Flat tax - 100% agree!!! I do not know why anyone would hate that idea as it makes perfect sense. I wish this would be implemented right away.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

7. Term limits for everyone in Congress. No more career politicians. Get the lobbyists out of D.C..