Buy tech or not?

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Buy tech or not?

Post by vbironchef »

I just bought 2 shares of apple, 50 shares of intel and 1 share of google. Should I have waited til Monday or did I make the right trade right before the close on Friday? I thought that I could buy computer parts or invest and wait a year and buy even better parts down the road. Would like to know what every one thinks. Thanks in advance. :)
KnightRid

Re: Buy tech or not?

Post by KnightRid »

May take longer than a year. Intel has been declining little by little, Apple is also falling and Microsoft may hold steady but I figure it will fall also due to Windows 8 being god awful ugly, too much of a change and requiring users to spend thousands of dollars to get the true experience.

I would have just bought the parts ;)

If Ultrabooks can take off (ROFLMAO - overpriced but light enough for wimps) Intel's stock may bounce back but I don't see that happening.

Anyway, just my opinions as a non-stock person (I believe the stock market has driven the greed factor into the stratosphere and created the problems with income disparity due to companies having to make more and more profit to be deemed worthy. When is enough, enough?)

Good luck!
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Just bought another 50 shares of Intel @ 20.25.

Edit: I just heard that AMD is exploring options for the sale of their company! Is this true? Edit: Yes it is true!
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Not selling - http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-575493 ... as-a-sale/ - from that article anyway. Looking to sell off patents, chop up the company into little bites, etc.

AMD used to be a price leader with their cpus and still stand up to, or pass, Intel chips. They are not at that point now. I can see AMD doing good in the low end market for pc's but with all the advancements Intel made with the iseries chips, amd just cant compete on the high end without a major price reduction.

Lets see AMD release a nice new cpu that blows the i7 out of the water, then they will be relevant again. Won't happen. AMD has gotten stale and without the money to invest in doing something revolutionary they are going to keep floundering in the sea of Intel while trying to keep their head above the water since they cant afford scuba gear.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I personally don't see now is the time to buy in tech.

If you think the market will swing back up after the fiscal cliff issues are over... Be sure to pick stocks with momentum right now that are 'on sale'

Some that are mentioned here don't have the forward momentum that I like to see when making purchases.

Look at Apple today - http://www.cnbc.com/id/49842457

Use a Samsung Galaxy S III and use a Apple iPhone 5...

I own both and I'll tell you what... The iPhone 5 has nothing to offer over the Galaxy S III in terms of hardware or features (that I care about). Shares are now off 25 percent since late September—shortly after the iPhone 5 launch and a month before the iPad Mini introduction. Losing momentum
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

I knew if the stocks I choose went down I would get bashed. That is why I bought such a small amount. Will buy more when stocks go down even more. Will let you know what I am doing. I was also looking at verizon and ATT and qualcom. Any thoughts on these stocks? (VZ), (T), (QCOM).

Edit: I will wait a month before I invest any more. Let's see what happens :)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Not bashing at all. The tech forecasts I read each day just look crappy.
Follow Me on Twitter!
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Qualcom may be the best choice of all 3 you listed. I think the phone/isp/wireless companies are in a transition phase. They have to spend big money to get up super fast broadband or else they have to walk away from the landlines and go for broke on everything wireless (and expensive as all hell). I don't see a plan for either of those options from any of the companies as they are too worried about keeping profit up and investors happy.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

ARM is going to be releasing their 64-bit processors next year, so ARM looks like they got some good stuff coming.
Follow Me on Twitter!
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

armh is a little high for their p/e ratio 66.33 is very high. If it gets to below 30 dollars a share I might buy some shares.
Qcom p/e ratio is 20.09 Now that's more like it. I still like intel. p/e ratio is 8.76 Not to mention it's trading at 52 week lows.
aapl price/earnings ratio is 11.86 To me that is a screaming buy.
goog p/e is 20.36 Not bad, that's why I only bought 1 share.

These are all good stocks and I hope we don't go off the fiscal cliff. If we do all bets are off. At this point I feel that it's to risky to be in the market and to risky to miss a market rally. 50/50 chance of something. It's always good to have some cash in reserves. Intel gives me a Div/yield 0.22/4.48 per share. Seems to me that's better than keeping cash in the bank.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Watch for Intel stock to take a dive if Apple announces they are going back to making their own CPU's also.

It honestly shouldnt dive since Apple computers are such a tiny segment but the Apple crazies will panic and sell off Intel thinking that tiny portion of business will sink them ;)
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Looks like I was correct about Apple. I think it will take some time for Intel, should be a long term buy. IMO. You get paid to wait! At least I'm not losing money. :)

Edit: Just bought another 50 shares of Intel @ 19.38.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Intel going from $27 to $19 since June is pretty wild. It's a good dividend paying blue chip stock with a very good track record, but you know that.

Intel needs to get their smartphone solution dialed in. Intel Haswell will be interesting for a number of reasons. It will really highlight what path desktop and mobile users are going to be taking from this point on.
Follow Me on Twitter!
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

With the article about Intel that was posted makes me feel very confident that Intel is going to do very well in the future. I also think that Apple is going to have a great holiday season, so I bought 2 more shares. I also bought 1 more share of Google because I think that the Google maps will be making it's way to the I-Phone. So in total I have 4 shares of Apple, 150 shares of Intel, and 2 shares of Google. Wish me luck! Edit: Total price is 6,603.08.

Edit. Nice rally in apple today. :). Monday that is.
rrplay
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by rrplay »

Not one to play in the stock market ...but Apple shares went up a bit after they announced making some of the iPacs in the U.S. the other day.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Sold it all today. Don't have a good feeling about the way Apple is trading. I think I broke even all said and done.