What Memory

From general questions to the harder advanced user topics you will find them here!
andy2583
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by andy2583 »

wow cheers for the super quick reply, Many thanks
DanielDev
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by DanielDev »

yeah, 600 series are more future proof :)
andy2583
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by andy2583 »

Intel Pentium 4 820 Dual Core "LGA775 Smithfield" 2.8GHz (800FSB)

What about one of these or even the 3.0ghz if i can strech that far ?
DanielDev
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by DanielDev »

I dont think the board supports dual core,
you should check that out first
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

it depends, what Intel chipset does the DFI board have? from what I can see on Intel's Website, the following chipsets are supported:

Intel® 955X Express Chipset,
Intel® 945G Express Chipset,
Intel® 945P Express Chipset,
Intel® E7230 Chipset

soooo, if that DFI board doesn't have one of these, then you may need to peruse a little more.
andy2583
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by andy2583 »

ah its doesnt..... :oops: oh well lol
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

no need to lose heart though, if you really want that chip, I'm pretty sure there's other DFI boards that will handle it (don't have the time to look right now, but will when I get home from work). If for some reason they don't have a board like that, my close second at least would be an Asus board based around one of those chipsets. Varying opinions welcome here, lol :)
DanielDev
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by DanielDev »

killswitch83 wrote:no need to lose heart though, if you really want that chip, I'm pretty sure there's other DFI boards that will handle it (don't have the time to look right now, but will when I get home from work). If for some reason they don't have a board like that, my close second at least would be an Asus board based around one of those chipsets. Varying opinions welcome here, lol :)
I dont think so, socket 775 boards with agp are pretty hard to find,
and i doubt there will be any with 1 of those much newer chipsets...
Looks like u gotta go with the 600 series, not that thats a bad thing ;)
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

oh crap, yeah I forgot we're dealing with LGA775 here, damn it, lol. The 600 series works well, and has good overclocking ability, so yeah it would be good to go with that, should you not be able to find a good LGA775 mobo that supports the newer chipsets. Right on Daniel :drinkers:
andy2583
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by andy2583 »

Guys i think i need to go abit cheaper on the memory 2x 1 gig sticks of that ocz platinum pc-4000 is like £230, thats the cheapest i could find it and not many places are stocking it either, as i live in the united kingdom !

Do i need to go for a duel channel kit ? or can i buy 1xgig then another 1xgig later ?

What about the Crucial ballistix ? or other similar ones ?
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

well, I like the Crucial Ballistix PC-4000 1GB x 2 kit, and here's a nifty review on it from the site, in case you've not caught it (I plan on using this mem myself):

Crucial Ballistix PC4000 2GB Memory Review

and at around 197 pounds for the kit at Newegg, it's lower, but I'm sure you're talking lower than that, I would really just do some research, but I really prefer this kit myself, and you'll see why after you read the review.

I would also look at Mushkin's eXtreme performance line too......once again, on Newegg, I've found a 1 GB stick of it for around 70 pounds, which if you wanted to go dual-channel, it would cost 140 for you.....decisions decisions.....but also consider it might be higher on your end of the world depending on what online vendors you can go through, so these are reference points.

the Mushkin memory price reference is here
DanielDev
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by DanielDev »

You dont need to to go for a dual channel kit, cause all ddr ram should work with eachother.
Dual channel kits are just there to ensure they work together and u can use all the functions of them.
This does not mean that if u buy loose ram they do not work together, it just means that the dual channel kit will work together.

About the crucial ballistix, they seem to be extremely good memory,
but i noticed that alot of people were having problems with it after 2 months.
They say that after the 2 months it got trouble even holding the standard given specs or sometimes even worse.
I dont know if this was just a bad batch or just bad luck, but i do know that i would wait till i hear less people complain about their ballistix dying after 2 months.
The choice is yours...

Like killswitch suggested, i agree that the mushkin extreme performance line seems to be doing pretty well,
but im not really into that at the moment so i cant really advise u on that.

PS: newegg is a US only store and andy lives in the UK. It isnt the cheapest store in the US either.

gl finding some nice ram :)
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

DanielDev wrote: PS: newegg is a US only store and andy lives in the UK. It isnt the cheapest store in the US either.

gl finding some nice ram :)
Andy -> you try Here
You may know of cheaper UK sites....

They have some nice ram and prices arn't too bad -> free delivery too!
I kinda know they guy behind it. I've ordered Ram with their Irish site, and the Ram arrived B4 the money was taken from my a/c!!!!
Ps. They don't stock Crucial....but you can get that ram directly from Crucial's site.
andy2583
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by andy2583 »

Would this powersupply be enough to power what i've got ? Akasa PaxPower 460W PSU Ultra Quiet V2.01 ATX or do i need to go higher !

Also what do you guys recommend for hard drives ?

Can i go the new sata 2 ?

Id like to do 2xsata drives on a raid 0 setup as i've been reading this is a good imrovement in access times etc ? ?

Cheers
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

Personally, I would go with the Antec TruePower II 550W PSU, mainly due to the quality and the fact it has dual 12V+ rails (damn stable!!), not to mention if you ever want to go with an SLI rig eventually, it's certified! Antec has been known for quality PSU's, I know I've not had a problem with one yet that I've installed in customer units.

detailed specs here

over here in the US, I know it goes for $89.99 on Newegg, but since you're in the UK I would ask ken for another link as I don't know of any myself....

trust me, I think you'll be happy with this PSU, especially since it allows for a great deal of flexibility by providing all the power you'll need :)

additional note: if you want to go with SATA RAID, just double-check the board to ensure it supports RAID over the SATA connectors (the boards usually couple the RAID-compatible SATA connectors together away from the regular ones, and it'll show them in the instruction manual). The mobo you want supports it from what I can tell (still going with the DFI 875P-T, right?).
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

About the crucial ballistix, they seem to be extremely good memory,
but i noticed that alot of people were having problems with it after 2 months.
They say that after the 2 months it got trouble even holding the standard given specs or sometimes even worse.
I dont know if this was just a bad batch or just bad luck, but i do know that i would wait till i hear less people complain about their ballistix dying after 2 months.
The choice is yours...
After writing the article i did some research on this very issue, and even talked to Crucial about it. First, I have to say that their tech support and customer service is some of the best i've ever dealt with.
Second, during my research, 99% of the people having issues with this memory fit into a couple of different catagories. There was the group who didn't really know what they were doing (Mostly people using the DFI NF4 series, adjusting BIOS settings wrong). then there was the group who decided they want to push this memory to the very edge, and sometimes beyond. Like everything else, this stuff has a speed ratting, and anything over that is a bonus. I would see people running 3.0V through this kit 24/7, and thats way too much....on top of that, those Micron ICs run warm to begin with, so imagine overvolting, overclocking and no active cooling....definitely would cause problems.
The nice thing is Crucial has a hassle free RMA policy, I have only seen one person complain about it.... and his memory ran fine at its rated speed, but would not O/C to his standard, he was turned down.
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

made my choice on the RAM I shall use, just waiting on Christmas money (hopefully I'll get some :) ). That Ballistix PC-4000 2 * 1GB kit is great memory, my close second, funny enough, is Mushkin eXtreme performance PC-4000 2 * 1GB kit. :)
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

Switch, also keep in mind the Corsair 3500LL PRO, good kit, and it runs about the same as the Crucial.
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

man, I need to start looking into kits more, that one zipped right by me (never heard of it) :rolleyes: .....I'll definitely look into it like now, since I have nothing to do, lol :)
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

btw capper, I have a simple question....now looking at it, the Corsair kit looks great, however, this question is about two Crucial kits: Ballistix PC-4000 and Ballistix Tracer PC-4000. What is the difference to yield a $70+ price difference? This eludes me, lol