Cisco Linksys EA6500 Smart Wi-Fi Router Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Today, we look at the new Cisco Linksys Smart Wi-Fi AC 1750 Router that is designed to work with the next generation of Wi-Fi for fast data transfer and media streaming. Brought to you by what is arguably the biggest name in network hardware, Cisco packs the EA6500 with every bell and whistle that you can imagine including the latest 802.11ac wireless standard. Read on to see just how good the Linksys EA6500 is.

Working with the Cisco/Linksys EA6500 802.11ac Wireless Router reminds us why we love 802.11ac technology so much. The speeds are incredible. Having an improvement of wireless speeds is the number one thing to consider when you look at upgrading your current router...
Article Title: Cisco Linksys EA6500 Smart Wi-Fi Router Review
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/2080/1/
Pricing At Time of Print: $199 shipped
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
salmighty
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Re: Cisco Linksys EA6500 Smart Wi-Fi Router Review

Post by salmighty »

hi,

i would really like to know which router is better the linksys ea6500 or netgear r6300. i'm an advanced user when it comes to networking. at the moment all wireless devices are wifi N but as soon as a 802.11ac mini pcie cards come all devices will get their wifi cards replaced to AC. i got xbmc installed on 2 htpc machines so there's simultaneously 1080p streaming going on constantly. a 6 or 8 bay nas is on my to buy list too. my internet connection is a 100/100mbit fiber line and we're waiting for a 1gb upgrade which can be any moment. i really would like know which one is best, the cisco or netgear because there are so many sites which say the netgear is better than the linksys but other sites say the opposite. also the factor of going through walls should be counted in. an advanced gui doesn't scare me off. i would really like to hear your opinion without having any favor for either netgear or linksys so a completely objective point of view.

regards,

sal
Last edited by salmighty on Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Digital Puppy

Re: Cisco Linksys EA6500 Smart Wi-Fi Router Review

Post by Digital Puppy »

Thanks Sal for posting in the forums. (I’ve been talking on and off to Sal for a few days now but thought the community might be able to weigh in on the conversation of which is best...)

Regarding your question regarding the routers...to be honest, I really consider the Cisco, Netgear, and Asus to be in the top three of the AC routers...you could probably throw in the Buffalo as well. Depending on what you are looking for each one of these models has their advantages.

When answering the “which is best?” question, I always start off by asking: Do you have any AC devices - or plan on getting any? How many legacy devices do you have in your network? B? G? N? How much do you care about USB/NAS capabilities? Are you interested in "custom" GUIs like dd-WRT?

I tend to like the Netgear GUI because I’ve personally used Netgear for so long. I know where everything is and I do a bunch of port forwarding. I'm telling you, some people HATE certain GUI's even though the functionality is identical to a competitor. (This is why we try and show the GUI with more than one photo....not sure anyone cares, but that's our rationale! :) )

Many people like the external antenna of the ASUS and want the flexibility to upgrade the antennas. Others think power consumption and cost are the most important things….

...Like I said, it depends. We are pretty consistent with our wi-fi speed tests but also realize that not everything is about speed.

Oh, and I forgot to talk about the Western Digital! We just got the AC one in this past week...haven't looked at it, but if it works like the N900 version, it's another winner. *sigh* too many good choices!

---

If you are going for purely speed and range, then it really is a toss-up between the Netgear and Cisco. Like we said in our reviews, we do our speed tests at 25-feet through one wall. I’ve found though, our AC speeds don’t change at all when we are at 3-ft, 25-ft, 55-ft (and separated by a different floor!) Nor does it change when we rotate the AC devices or change the orientation (laying flat or sitting upright). We do turn off all of the other Wi-Fi emitters, so if you are in a ‘dirty’ area, your mileage may vary.

My bottom line advice is to try them both out. I think the performance for each is identical so it will come down to which GUI you like the best.
Just a little puppy trying to make it in a big digital world.