ASUS TF300T 32GB Tablet

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
lordvic
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

ASUS TF300T 32GB Tablet

Post by lordvic »

Before I start, MERRY CHRISTMAS / HAPPY HOLIDAYS! :partyman:

Ive been thinking about grabbing an Android tablet, the ASUS TF300T in particular, and I'm curious if the LR community has any feedbacks that they would like to share.

What I like about it is the not-too-large size and the ability the increase the storage capacity with a Micro-SD card. The ability to increase the battery life by attaching a keypad to it is pretty cool as well.

They happen to be on sale for $278 ($399 regularly) at a local store on Boxig day so I was just wondering...

Any other tablet recommendations would be nice as well.

- Victor
Cooler Master HAF 932 // Phenom II 1090T @ 4.1GHz (not 110% stable) // ASUS Crosshair V Formula 990FX // Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler // Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 @ 1150/1500 // 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill RipJaws + 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill RipJawsX @1600 8-9-8-21-1T // Corsair TX850 // Corsair ForceGT 120GB SSD // Kingston V200+ 120GB SSD // WD Caviar Black 1TB // LiteON DVD-RW // Windows 7 Ult. 64-bit
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: ASUS TF300T 32GB Tablet

Post by Major_A »

Merry Christmas. I personally think that you're better off getting a Nexus tablet. Sure there isn't a mSD card but most newer Android hardware just emulate the SD card anyway. Meaning that you can't move installed apps to the external card. I don't know about you but I don't load my Android device up with music and movies (space killers) so it's kind of a moot point. The biggest thing I can tell anyone about getting a tablet is don't expect too much. It isn't a PC replacement device. Think of it more as surfing on the couch or in bed.
jakegub
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by jakegub »

I was going to make the same recommendation with the Nexus 10 (Nexus 7 has Tegra 3, but isn't a 10" tablet), but I figured you were picking this one for some Android gaming. It sounds like even though Nexus is probably our best 10" tablet, for gaming this one might be a better choice especially if you can get a great deal. Otherwise it's hard to recommend an "older" product for full retail price.
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.0GHz
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
2x1gb G.Skill DDR2-800 4-4-3-5
eVGA 8800GT SC with Akimbo cooling Kit
WinXP Pro
Dell 2405fpw @1920x1200

All wrapped up in a Lian-Li PC-G70a
lordvic
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by lordvic »

Hmm... I see.
I'll look into the Nexus tablets. Thanks you two.

As for the size, it isn't a real concern; 10.1" or 7" is fine.

The reason I chose to go with Andriod was due to it being more flexible than the iOS alternative. Of course, and the price. We are beginning to work with some ARM processors in my Electronics / Computer study. Also, a friend of mine had started learning how to make apps on his Android tablet and I wanted to get in on that. A tablet comes in handy during class lectures too.

My family tends to go on trips quite a bit, too.
Cooler Master HAF 932 // Phenom II 1090T @ 4.1GHz (not 110% stable) // ASUS Crosshair V Formula 990FX // Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler // Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 @ 1150/1500 // 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill RipJaws + 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill RipJawsX @1600 8-9-8-21-1T // Corsair TX850 // Corsair ForceGT 120GB SSD // Kingston V200+ 120GB SSD // WD Caviar Black 1TB // LiteON DVD-RW // Windows 7 Ult. 64-bit
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

The reason I chose to go with Andriod was due to it being more flexible than the iOS alternative. Of course, and the price. We are beginning to work with some ARM processors in my Electronics / Computer study. Also, a friend of mine had started learning how to make apps on his Android tablet and I wanted to get in on that. A tablet comes in handy during class lectures too.
Because of what you said here get the Nexus. They are the least locked down/altered version of Android out there.
hercules71185
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hercules71185 »

Hopefully you got the nexus. If anyone else is curious the transformer prime is very laggy compared to what it should be. If you got it you should do a cold boot about once a day to make it run decently. I'm thread digging I know. But, I came across this a month ago when I was researching which one to get. I got the infinity, and the prime. Both sucked equally. The prime's HDMI is so flemsy you need to hold it when you use it. Or it will break.