NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan Video Card Preview

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

NVIDIA today announced the company's flagship single-GPU video card that many of you already know about, the GeForce GTX Titan! The GeForce GTX Titan is powered by NVIDIA's GK110 'Kepler' GPU, which has yet to be used on a desktop gaming graphics card. Read on to find out more about NVIDIA's new flagship single-GPU video card!

The GK110 has been used for on a professional-level graphics card called the Tesla K20 since last year, but this powerful 28nm GPU with 7.1 billion transistors never made it down to desktop gamers. Then again, the NVIDIA Tesla K20 runs $3,300 and what gamer wants to pay that much for a single video card? The GeForce GTX Titan is priced at $999, which is still expensive, but comparable to the GeForce GTX 690 and other high-end graphics cards.
Article Title: NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan Video Card Preview
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/2143/1/
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
stereo55
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Re: NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan Video Card Preview

Post by stereo55 »

Oh my , looking good . Pricing maybe a killer , but hope its kept at a reasonable release price .
* i7 5930K @ 4GHz 1.085v - Corsair H100i GTX - Asrock x99 OC Formula 3.1
* Sandisk Extreme Pro 480gb - HGST NAS 3TB - 2x WD Blue 1TB - 32gig Crucial 2133 - EVGA 980 Ti Classified - Corsair 780T/Seasonic 760 Platinum
* LG 34" Ultra Wide - Hanns-G HZ281HPB 27.5" - LG WH16NS40 Blu Burner - SoundBlaster Z - Klipsch 4.1's/Altec center channel
* Windows 8.1 Pro/Windows 10
* Retired game rig i7 920 @ 3.9 - EVGA x58 - still going strong!

Heatware
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

$999 MSRP

THe GTX690 was $999 and never went lower, so I would expect the same of this card.
Follow Me on Twitter!
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

=P~ =P~
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

Apoptosis wrote:$999 MSRP

THe GTX690 was $999 and never went lower, so I would expect the same of this card.
That makes no sense from the performance point - at least if raw numbers are comparable.

GTX 690 has 2 x 1536 shaders = 3072 vs GTX Titan has 2688
Clock speed of 915/1019 vs 837/876
memory bandwith of 384,5GB/s vs 288.4GB/s
Memory bus width 512bits vs 384bits

based on this, the Titan is a weaker card, yet costs the same... if the the numbers are right. The lower TDP is also an indication of less performance.
As for the boost being tied to the temperature, that's good news for those on liquid cooling :)
Prices are way out of hand for VGA cards. They used to stay about the same, as new generations came out but seem to increase for the past few years. Will we have to fork out 20K in 10 years and get a mortgage just to buy a video card? This overpricing that really started with the 600 series won't increase sales, that's for sure. To ask a $1000 for a video card, that will be obsolete in 2 years is plain stupid. I will certainly not pay this kind of money just to play some games and I know many will think the same. They would sell much more if they kept prices below $400 as it used to be. That's just my opinion though.
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

you got the numbers right... It's a flagship card aimed at those with no budget concerns.

Wish I could talk performance with you as I obviously have a card here, but you'll see them later this week. Sounds like you know how the outcome will be on my 30-inch monitor.
Follow Me on Twitter!
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

sbohdan wrote:
Apoptosis wrote:$999 MSRP

That makes no sense from the performance point - at least if raw numbers are comparable.

GTX 690 has 2 x 1536 shaders = 3072 vs GTX Titan has 2688
Clock speed of 915/1019 vs 837/876
memory bandwith of 384,5GB/s vs 288.4GB/s
Memory bus width 512bits vs 384bits

based on this, the Titan is a weaker card, yet costs the same... if the the numbers are right. The lower TDP is also an indication of less performance.
As for the boost being tied to the temperature, that's good news for those on liquid cooling :)
Prices are way out of hand for VGA cards. They used to stay about the same, as new generations came out but seem to increase for the past few years. Will we have to fork out 20K in 10 years and get a mortgage just to buy a video card? This overpricing that really started with the 600 series won't increase sales, that's for sure. To ask a $1000 for a video card, that will be obsolete in 2 years is plain stupid. I will certainly not pay this kind of money just to play some games and I know many will think the same. They would sell much more if they kept prices below $400 as it used to be. That's just my opinion though.

It's a marketing thing.
Bugatti don't make much money on the veyron but that doesn't stop them! - $1.25M/car and no profits they say.
There are specific use cases for this card also.
Not everyone likes SLI so having a single GPU card has it's benefits.