Understanding LegitReviews.com

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
hercules71185
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Understanding LegitReviews.com

Post by hercules71185 »

I wrote this publicly for 3 reasons. To explain why I want this site to succeed, to lean more about the mods(writing publicly will get a more analyzed and informative answer". I'd also like to learn more myself.

The primary reason I like this site so much, is the lack of arrogance that is conveyed to the newbs. When you use google to find out an answer to a question all you get lately is the forums saying, " use the search bar"! So after numerous searches you end up in a lifeless arrogant loop with no reference or answer. I posted on a few forums asking the same questions back in 2008. The only non pick answer was from this site. It was great and simple for newbs. Being we all start from somewhere this was the perfect segway to understand the IT industry. So after a bunch of questions I realized that legitreviews.com was far more user friendly.

A legit answer. What made you come up with the name legitreviews? What was your goal? What made you feel you could separate from the masses? Have you deterred at all or adapated? Have you lost hope on the forum side, or have you gained ground on it?

I want to hear some of the answers because I've always felt this was the go to place for all of my needs and replies if any come up. If this gets deleted I kind of expected that anyways. If not, I'd like to see what you feel would be your current limitations are and I'd really like to see you take over the PC forum market.

Thanks for any answers if any in advance,
~Cotton
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Understanding LegitReviews.com

Post by Apoptosis »

What made you come up with the name legitreviews?

I was in college and was a PC gamer looking to upgrade my Rage Pro video card to keep up with the people I was competing against in AvP (Fatal1ty and others before they were knowns back in the mPlayer days and KOTH). I was having a hard time finding what I wanted to know back in 1999-2002. I read some reviews and what I found was shocking. Rather than cry about it, I picked up the phone and did something about it. The site was born and the name was picked because I wanted reviews that I could personally trust.

What was your goal?

My goal was to help people filter the BS and find the truth.

What made you feel you could separate from the masses?

Honesty, sticking to 'Keep it Simple Stupid' with a clean site layout, minimal ads and being there to answer questions. Also being 100% independent has always been a goal. I've been approached to sell the site entirely or part of it to investors before, but at the end of the day they want control. You'd be amazed to find out that many sites are owned by other corporations or the owners of those sites are PR directors at certain companies. You also have have writers that work in marketing departments, so it is crazy. If I had a dollar for each time someone that works for hardware companies have asked if they could submit reviews I'd be rich.

Have you deterred at all or adapated?

You always have to adapt. In April you'll see LR launch a new site layout, backend, mobile site and more. Always adapting and more so now than ever before due to the changing desktop PC market. Times are really exciting right now and more is happening now than in the past decade.

Have you lost hope on the forum side, or have you gained ground on it?

Lost hope? No, it's here for people that have questions. Social media has changed the way people communicate, so forums in general are slowing down. Legit Reviews didn't have a forum when the site first started and I told people to go to HardOCP or Anandtech to discuss things as they had a larger audience. I later added a forum to the site, but not having one from the start ended up being a mistake. We all make mistakes along the way and that was one of mine. The forums are here for the readers and not for profit. They'll be around for as long as people have questions and use them.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

mitchell90 wrote:=D> Well said :supz:
I agree. I was referred to this site by a friend and have been here ever since. You are going to like it here, there is an expert in virtually any category you want to inquire about and they will usually answer you within a day or two. Plus oftimes a reviewer will pull the hardware back out to double check something for you. Welcome!
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

hercules71185 wrote: A legit answer. What made you come up with the name legitreviews? What was your goal? What made you feel you could separate from the masses? Have you deterred at all or adapated? Have you lost hope on the forum side, or have you gained ground on it?
Use the search bar.

:mrgreen: :lol: I just could not resist. I am so evil.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
DJ Tucker
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DJ Tucker »

now thats honesty. i came across this site from a google search about a cpu i was looking at few years ago and have been here since. love the site and always trust your reviews :)
MSI Z590 Gaming Edge Wifi
Core i7 10700KF 5Ghz @ 1.25v With Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super 1980Mhz @ 0.925v With TechN GPU Block
32Gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600Mhz 16-18-18-38
Aqua Computer Ultitube 200 Pro D5 Next
Corsair XR5 240mm x2 & 360mm
Intel 670p 2Tb & WD Blue M.2 2Tb
Corsair HX1000i
Philips Momentum 3000 24" (Main) & MSI Optix G241V E2 (Second)
Lian Li O11D
Roccat Vulcan 120 Aimo, Roccat Kone Aimo Remastered and Roccat Sym Pro Air
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

I came by because of a review and noticed the people in the forums weren't a-holes to each other. That was quite refreshing seeing as most tech sites the forums are full of people that just want to argue over stupid stuff like what shade of blue is on the box.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

I liked reading the reviews. The site layout also makes it easy on the eyes too and and I find this important for any website.
I used to read the forum posts so I could learn the basics of overclocking and I noticed how there was no BS.

This was back in 2005 and I've been dropping by ever since; although a lot less than I used to.

The fact that we are always open and welcoming to any questions is great, but what I also love is how everyone looks out for each other.
Countless times I've seen members offering others help by posting out some adapter cable or unused graphics card for free.
To me this shows we have a real community and while it was all started by Nate, it's maintained mostly by the members.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

I entered a contest and that is what brought me here. The sexy mod pictures that get posted in the private section kept me here. Go Ken Go! :prayer:

If you cant have fun in life, life isn't worth having. Now go tell a joke. :supz:
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Guru
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Guru »

Thanks for this thread and posts. I was always interested finding out LR's goals.

OP asked legit questions and Admin answered in a legit way!! :)

I came to find out about this site back in end of 2007 via searching about the problem I was having. I searched and searched and searched and nobody had the answers except LR. It was in regards to Motherboard Intel D975XBX2. I believe it was this thread: http://forums.legitreviews.com/about7563.html and DaddyRabbit answered/solved the issue as he had the board as well. Thanks! Ever since, I felt LR is Legit all the way and solves unique problem. Having said that, I still have the same board, same setup and rocking it with Q6700, EVGA GTX 560Ti , just overall setup is getting old now compare to new sockets.

Needless to say, this site is the best and forum is not active as others are but still the best. I am not active on this site but do read almost all reviews and forums. This is some quality syt man! :supz: