Sooooo...What router are you using?

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Sooooo...What router are you using?

Post by Kaos Kid »

Newegg finally cut me a refund check for that lousy Rosewill L600N so I am back on the WRT54GL until I can get another N-capable router. I really like the idea of dual-band so I have been looking at those, but nothing impresses me for the asking prices (seems like every router from every manufacturer has some negative comments about dropped connections in their feedback tabs). What router are you currently using that you can vouch for? I have been keeping an eye on the DIR-850L that is dual-band AND 802.11AC...it is priced less than some of the older high-end dual-band N routers but touts better specs (although I know from experience now that you can't always believe what you read).

My current usage includes 4-5 wireless PC devices (2 G, 3 N) and 1-2 wired connections. I'd like to get my full 40mbps bandwidth on the wireless, currently only getting 20mbps on the "N" PCs and 12-14mbps on the "G" PCs (speeds arrived at using my ISP's speed test). The two kids computers aren't as important since they just watch youtube with standard def but I also torrent--that could benefit from the fastest speeds that my ISP provides me. Also I have an HTPC I could transfer my large files to wirelessly (generally 8-12GB files) instead of using my Tornado USB transfer cable. For some reason the 54GL has problems during transfer of large files, don't know why because it never drops wifi connections any other time, and even then it isn't dropped, the file transfer just doesn't complete.

I'm dragging my feet because it doesn't have many reviews yet, but am still itchin' to pull the trigger on the DIR-850L...It is almost $100 more than the Rosewill I returned so I have definitely moved up in the price range I'm willing to pay. 802.11ac will help me in the future but right now I probably won't spend $70 each for the 802.11ac adapters, at the most I'll get another dual-band adapter (no matter which router I end up with) so I can keep my main boxes on the 5Ghz channel and the kids on the 2.4Ghz channel. Decisions, decisions.
Last edited by Kaos Kid on Fri May 10, 2013 11:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
Digital Puppy

Re: Sooooo...What router are you using?

Post by Digital Puppy »

I'm using the Netgear R6300 as my go-to router. I haven't played around with the D-Link yet, but did look at the Buffalo, WD, and Cisco/Linksys. All the AC performances were around the same - which is to say, fast as hell! The only thing that really separated them were the GUI's (IMO). Being a Netgear guy, I naturally gravitated towards it.

Netgear just released a firmware update for "beamforming" with the unit for better (faster?) connections. I haven't really seen a tremendous difference though.
Just a little puppy trying to make it in a big digital world.
sgkean
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by sgkean »

I'm currently using the Asus RT-N56U, I switched from an old D-Link that was having many disconnect issues. Haven't had any issues with the Asus, a bunch of friends locally have the newer AC ASUS and they haven't had any issues either.

As for the interface, it's nice, pretty easy to find whatever I need. Certainly not perfect, but have never seen a perfect interface LOL
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

I had a linksys wrtg54(i think thats the model) for maybe 6 yerars before i gave up. Not sure how they are now.

Right now im using a D-Link DIR-655 and its been awesome for the time ive had it.
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Linksys E2500 v1. The 2.4GHz band is pretty good but the 5GHz band is only good for roughly 20 feet before it bites the dust. Apparently it has recently been added to the DD-WRT list but I haven't tried it out ("if it ain't broke don't fix it"). So far this has been the most stable router that I've owned. On average it have to manually restart it once a month. I know that Belkin (not a fan) recently bought the Linksys brand so I'm not sure what that means.
skier

Post by skier »

several months ago I upgraded from a Chinese brand router (Netis) to a TP Link WDR3600, its manufacturer firmware would drop wireless daily when using it as DHCP/DNS (Which is what most users would do!) but I upgraded it to DDWRT and now usually can keep it up for about 6-8 weeks at a time before it drops wireless, but it has very strong connections (5GHz band at 5 bars 40 feet away)

Parents have a DIR-601 I set up for them and they have only had to reboot it a handful of times in the past 4 or 5 years- though D-Link wasn't compatible at all with Roku version2 which was frustrating trying to troubleshoot!
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

Yeah, that's the weird thing about that Rosewill--the wireless radios were awesome and gave me great coverage albeit better in the 2.4Ghz than the 5Ghz. Its' problem was that it couldn't keep the DNS straight coming from the modem to the router (as soon as it was time to renew lease it would just be mute and ignore the modem). It never once dropped wireless in the network, just would quit taking communication from the cable modem to keep me on internet even with the wired connections. I haven't had to reboot once since I went back to the WRT54GL about 3 weeks ago.

Keep the "reviews" coming guys, this is just what I need to help decide what to do here. I have noticed there are newegg reviews now on the DIR-850L but 7/8 are from "Eggxperts" rather than customers that could be doing them just to kickstart sales.
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
DJ Tucker
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DJ Tucker »

This is the router i use. for only £50 is pretty good.
http://www.technicolor.com/en/hi/digita ... lor-tg582n
MSI Z590 Gaming Edge Wifi
Core i7 10700KF 5Ghz @ 1.25v With Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super 1980Mhz @ 0.925v With TechN GPU Block
32Gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600Mhz 16-18-18-38
Aqua Computer Ultitube 200 Pro D5 Next
Corsair XR5 240mm x2 & 360mm
Intel 670p 2Tb & WD Blue M.2 2Tb
Corsair HX1000i
Philips Momentum 3000 24" (Main) & MSI Optix G241V E2 (Second)
Lian Li O11D
Roccat Vulcan 120 Aimo, Roccat Kone Aimo Remastered and Roccat Sym Pro Air
skier

Post by skier »

Kaos Kid wrote:Yeah, that's the weird thing about that Rosewill--the wireless radios were awesome and gave me great coverage albeit better in the 2.4Ghz than the 5Ghz.
well, the lower the frequency band the greater the distance it can travel, 5GHz range gives much higher bandwidth for a much shorter distance than 2.4. also keep in mind Microwaves and bodies of water greatly interfere with the 2.4g range
-to keep in mind when reading reviews about using the different frequencies, and also for people living in an apartment complex the interference of other people using the same channel on the same band could play a role in connection strength/bandwidth which most people don't know about (everyone in my apartment complex other than me that i'm in range of is using channel 11 o.O)
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

My wireless adapters have no problems seeing between 10-20 different networks at any given time in my surrounding neighborhood, so I look at which channel is being used less, and cross reference those with the weakest signals to arrive at my chosen channel. Surprisingly Channel 11 is the best one for me, most others around me are on channel 1 or channel 6. I think most of those people don't do it consciously, they just use what their routers originally assigned automatically). My 54GL originally always stayed at channel 6 until I started getting into the config a few years ago to "larn myself" and found that Channel 11 works best for my particular situation.