3D Printers

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
sgkean
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

3D Printers

Post by sgkean »

So anybody have one of the 3D printers? Just got access to one and trying to decide what I want to "print"...and no, not going to be printing a gun :P Trying to think of something computer related...
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: 3D Printers

Post by bubba »

Picking something out of thin air????? 3.5 to 2.5 drive adapter

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:16754

What kind of printer you have?
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
sgkean
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by sgkean »

A good friend of mine just got the Makerbot Replicator 2.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

I would love to have a 3D printer but most of the lower cost ones make such small items that I wouldn't be happy in the long run.

Plus I would love to have one that could print metal objects too :supz:

Only problem is I cant draw a stick figure so I would have to get designs from other people or have them custom made :(
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
sgkean
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by sgkean »

Yea, I'm the same way...Not a creative bone in my body...there will come a time when the prices will drop dramatically, talking to them at CES, they are working on lowering the price on the 3D printers big time, and having all types of materials to use for printing, even metal but that would be the low melting point type metals.

But my friend and his wife are VERY creative. It was actually his wife that bought it. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with to do on it.
sgkean
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by sgkean »

Depends on your definition of expensive really....

The one my friend got I think was around $2,000. I really didn't ask him what he got it for LOL For him, that's not too expensive, but for me, that's way too expensive for something just to tinker around with...
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

It's not really a 3D printer but I could see it being used for some of the same things a printer could do.
http://www.carvewright.com/

I have a friend who used to work for the company and the machine could carve/cut certain cast acrylics.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

for the kind of cash that carvewright system cost I'd get one of these and cut what ever... http://probotix.com/FireBall_X90_desktop_cnc_router/

but its not as point and click as the carvewright is.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson