DefenderPad Review: Protecting You Laptop Radiation

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

DefenderPad Review: Protecting You Laptop Radiation

Post by Apoptosis »

DefenderPad Review: Protecting Your Junk From Laptop Radiation & Heat

The DefenderPad is a product that was developed to protect your lap from laptop radiation and heat. It also replaced lap desks, lap trays and laptop cooling pads as it serves the same purpose. An FCC certified lab test revealed that DefenderPad blocks nearly 100 percent of all potentially harmful Electromagnetic Radiation (EMR) and greatly reduces heat emitted by laptops, tablets and other modern devices. Read on if you need this to protect your lap!

Your body is continually bring blasted by natural background radiation from all sorts of things and unfortunately these days you need to worry about artificial background radiation. Pretty much every single electronic gadget that you own emits some level or radiation and we really don't have a clue what it is doing to our bodies. Anyone with common sense should recognize the importance of limiting your exposure to radiation. One company called DefenderPad has developed a product that will help protect you from laptop radiation and heat...
Article Title: DefenderPad Review: Protecting Your Junk From Laptop Radiation & Heat
Article URL: http://legitreviews.com/article/2242/1/
Pricing At Time of Print: $89.99 Shipped
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: DefenderPad Review: Protecting You Laptop Radiation

Post by DMB2000uk »

Now I have no problem as this thing as a heat shield, and wouldn't mind something like that to be honest. But is there really that much 'radiaton' emmited from laptops that they can make it a viable selling point and then charge $90 for it?!
Image (<- Clickable)
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Nothing fell off of me yet so I think its a bunch of crap just like the cell phone beaming into your brain and causing cancer.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
sgkean
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by sgkean »

Not saying it's true about the amount of radiation, but keep in mind that some people smoke for decades without getting cancer, but others get it in a few years of smoking...Just because it hasn't happened yet, doesn't mean it won't :P
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

KnightRid wrote:Nothing fell off of me yet so I think its a bunch of crap just like the cell phone beaming into your brain and causing cancer.

After reading into radiation from mobile devices while doing this review I was shocked. I think there needs to be better testing and the public being privy to that information. The RF radiation from a laptop and tablets is way worse than smartphones from what I've found online...

Something interesting to read is the ipad owners manual: http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/iPa ... t_Info.pdf

Read page 3:
Exposure to Radio Frequency Energy
iPad contains radio transmitters and receivers. When on, iPad sends and receives radio frequency (RF) energy through its antenna. The Wi-Fi and Bluetooth® antennas are
located behind the screen to the left of the Home button, and behind the Apple logo. iPad has been tested and meets the SAR exposure requirements for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth operation.

A cellular antenna is located at the top edge of iPad Wi-Fi + 3G, when oriented with the Home button at the bottom. For optimal mobile device performance and to be sure that human exposure to RF energy does not exceed the FCC, IC, and European Union guidelines, always follow these instructions and precautions: Orient the device in portrait mode with the Home button at the bottom of the display, or in landscape mode with the cellular antenna (located under the black edge at the top of the device) away from your body or other objects.

iPad Wi-Fi + 3G is designed and manufactured to comply with the limits for exposure to RF energy set by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) of the United States, Industry Canada (IC) of Canada, and regulating entities of Japan, the European Union, and other countries. The exposure standard employs a unit of measurement known as the specific absorption rate, or SAR. The SAR limit applicable to iPad Wi-Fi + 3G set by the FCC is 1.6 watts per kilogram (W/kg), 1.6 W/kg by Industry Canada, and 2.0 W/kg by the Council of the European
Union. Tests for SAR are conducted using standard operating positions specified by these agencies, with iPad Wi-Fi + 3G transmitting at its highest certified power level in all tested frequency bands. Although SAR is determined at the highest certified power level in each frequency band, the actual SAR level of iPad Wi-Fi + 3G while in operation can
be well below the maximum value because iPad Wi-Fi + 3G adjusts its cellular transmitting power based in part on proximity to the wireless network and orientation. In general, the closer you are to a cellular base station, the lower the cellular transmitting power level.

If you are still concerned about exposure to RF energy, you can further limit your exposure by limiting the amount of time using iPad Wi-Fi + 3G in wireless mode, since time is a factor in how much exposure a person receives, and by placing more distance between your body and iPad Wi-Fi + 3G, since exposure level drops off dramatically with distance.
This means if you don’t handle the iPad exactly as instructed, the RF radiation can exceed governments’ limits for human exposure. That means if you have it flat on your lap or leg that you are exceeding the dosage your body is supposed to be getting. Now think about all the kids that use ipads and what those RF levels do to them. Most stores, parents and teachers have no idea about this, and have never communicated the manufacturer’s instructions to children who are using iPads. This isn't just an ipad issue, but I just used this as an example.

I am writing this on my ultrabook on the couch with the DefenderPad... I'm going to start using it at home as I see no reason not to!
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

But, that's falling back to cellular radiaton being the majority of the SAR, which 99% of laptops dont have.

Following on from that, wifi and Bluetooth have their anntena's located in the display bezel, so already away from direct absorption, reducing their SAR factors massively compared to phones etc.

If I had one I'd use it, but $90 is a lot for something (besides heat) that's surely not a massive issue on laptops. And hell, even a plank of wood would work just as well on the heat blocking front!

Still, I did enjoy that you tried X-raying it!
Image (<- Clickable)
INeedAFnSuffix
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by INeedAFnSuffix »

DMB2000uk wrote:Now I have no problem as this thing as a heat shield, and wouldn't mind something like that to be honest. But is there really that much 'radiaton' emmited from laptops that they can make it a viable selling point and then charge $90 for it?!
Just a ploy to make tech-idiots fall for something like this and earn their precious money! :mrgreen:
Apoptosis wrote:
KnightRid wrote:Nothing fell off of me yet so I think its a bunch of crap just like the cell phone beaming into your brain and causing cancer.

After reading into radiation from mobile devices while doing this review I was shocked. I think there needs to be better testing and the public being privy to that information. The RF radiation from a laptop and tablets is way worse than smartphones from what I've found online...

This means if you don’t handle the iPad exactly as instructed, the RF radiation can exceed governments’ limits for human exposure. That means if you have it flat on your lap or leg that you are exceeding the dosage your body is supposed to be getting. Now think about all the kids that use ipads and what those RF levels do to them. Most stores, parents and teachers have no idea about this, and have never communicated the manufacturer’s instructions to children who are using iPads. This isn't just an ipad issue, but I just used this as an example.

I am writing this on my ultrabook on the couch with the DefenderPad... I'm going to start using it at home as I see no reason not to!
Saying that laptops emit lots of RFI is like saying a wifi router is harmful, AVOID THEM! But NO!
Powerlines emit lots of RFI as well, should we stop using them? Should we buy lead plates to cover them up?
RFI doesn't harm humans.

*I'm a instrument engineer and RFI is very important in our industry for analog data integrity