Google Chromecast Review – Easy Wireless Streaming

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Google Chromecast Review – Easy Wireless Streaming

Post by Apoptosis »

When Google announced the Chromecast wireless streaming device it rocked the tech industry. For just $35 shipped, the Google Chromecast will turn any ‘dumb’ HDTV into a ‘smart’ TV that is capable of streaming media from Netflix and YouTube. You can also send entire tabs from the Chrome browser on Macs and PCs, which means you can basically put any site or service on TV with just the click of a button.

Article Title: Google Chromecast Review
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/google-chro ... iew_120478
Pricing At Time of Print: $35 shipped
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Google Chromecast Review – Easy Wireless Streaming

Post by Major_A »

I want one, but I don't know why. It's kind of a novel piece of hardware but freaking cool at the same time. For a few dollars more you can turn your TV into an Android device (example). Decisions decisions.
Clouseau
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Clouseau »

The Chromecast had only half the ability to allow the television to know that the input needs to be changed. It is a setting for the HDMI interface. Our years old Samsung 5 series LCD from 2009 supports SmartLink. Combine that with a device hooked up by HDMI that also supports SmartLink and the magic is done. Our Sony BDP-N460 Blu-ray player accomplishes this same thing and that unit is also from 2009. Just need to turn the player on and the TV turns on with the correct input.

The dongle itself appears to a good bang for the buck deal even with just the three supported at the moment. Definitely has my interest peaked. Will need to see if the recently leaked Blackberry 10.2 OS and sideswipe app will make for a functioning sideloaded Android app.
Antec900 case|PhenomII 940 (3.57Ghz @ 1.4625v)|Zalman CPNS9700NT|M3A32-MVP Deluxe WiFi/AP|Bios 1903|MSI HD6950 Twin Frozer III|Catalyst 11.11|8GB(4x2GB)DDR2-800@840 G.Skill PI-Black (4-4-4-10 @ 1.82v)|2xWD1600YS in Raid0|Antec HCP 1200|Pioneer BDC-202 Blu-ray ROM|ASUS E616A3T DVD-ROM|ASUS DRW-1814BLT DVD-RW|VISTA Ultimate x64 SP2
pwcmed
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pwcmed »

Just got mine today and this baby works like a champ. I love that I can stream my entire screen of a computer or just a tab off Chrome. Best $35 I spent in a while.
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

So, audio and video are pretty good quality on a big screen LCD TV?
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Kaos Kid wrote:So, audio and video are pretty good quality on a big screen LCD TV?
As long as the source is good quality, the output should be too, as long as the wireless signal can keep up. Problem is, most every streaming service out there doesnt have everything in, at least, pure 1080p so it will never look as good as a direct signal (yea itunes, I am bashing your stupid little head in you waste of a service).

I get this device, I mean, it's cool and you can beam your screen to the tv but if you are a videophile it will never be worthwhile for streaming movies. Although if you are a videophile like me you already understand that the streaming stuff out right now is so far behind true bluray quality that you would not be using it anyway.

Clarification - if you watch everything on a small tv, say 40" or less, then it may look decent if you purchase the HD content but still wont reach true bluray quality.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

Thanks. A friend had just asked me last week if there was a way he could watch internet on his TV and knowing he has an older computer I told him the first thing that popped into my head "yes if he got a video card with HDMI and hooked his computer to the TV". I think he wants it maybe just to watch youtube and stuff like that but I guess I will have to press him in detail just what he is expecting out of it, maybe Netflix or something like that, I dunno. I do know that his TV is in a cramped bedroom (trailer) and will not easily hardwire to where his computer is so I assume that if he doesn't want to find a way to hardwire from a video card then he will have to get a wireless router to use with any of the other solutions too, correct? I figure if he has to go that route he will need to get at least an N router, G probably doesn't cut it for video streaming at anything over 720p.
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll: