No video on my HP laptop

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

No video on my HP laptop

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

Years ago one of my employees gave me a pin that read "I finally got my head together, now my ass falls apart". That's the way I feel with these laptops. The old Dell is working now the HP acts up.

I just replaced the hard drive on my HP G62-341NR and a couple of months later I have no video. When I boot, I hear the fan and HDD spool up but that's it. No video and the boot never completes. The caps lock key LED flashes slowly but other than that, it's dead.

I've tried an external monitor, a different HDD, I've swapped RAM and done multiple hard resets. I'm guessing the motherboard is dead.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
J
"A payphone was ringing and it just about blew my mind,
when I picked it up & said 'Hello' this foot came through the line"
~Bob Dylan
KnightRid

Re: No video on my HP laptop

Post by KnightRid »

yep, buy a new laptop.

could look on ebay for a motherboard but most times the older stuff just isnt worth fixing due to high costs of parts and how cheaply you can buy a new one.

Which code is it - http://h10010.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docu ... 32551#N213 - I am guessing they are a standard blinking system so that may help determine the viability of replacing parts or not.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

They have nothing for when the LED just blinks once every couple seconds and continues. It never stops. I stopped counting the blinks at 25. Best I can tell from research is video is shot. Like I said, health problems prohibit me from trying the reflow fix.

I'd probably screw up something else in the process between my hands shaking and being pretty much temporarily blind in my right eye due to a cataract that suddenly appeared after surgery for detached retina in Feb. Got glasses that really help but my vision's not going to get better until I have corrective surgery. Just trying to postpone it till after the first of the year. Never had vision problems despite nearly 4 decades of Juvenile Diabetes. When it rains it pours, I guess. :roll:

Waffling on whether to try for a board on ebay. Found a couple for <$100 that are guaranteed good but don't know which to get till I tear this one down to get the part #. Dell, at least, has access to the original parts list. HP, in typical fashion, tells you nada as far as part #s are concerned.

Who owns Gateway now? I was surprised to see one for ~$300 the other day. As I recall it's another AMD but it had a larger HDD at 500 GB vs 320. Both have 4 GB RAM which should be more than enough. We don't really do anything overly strenuous with the laptop anyway. Wife plays Pogo games; facebook; checks email and works on her recipes for the classes she teaches. I putz around with the village site; surf the 'Net and watch movies or listen to music before I fall asleep. Don't have time to play games, etc.. Can;t stay caught up on all my other projects. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks for the assist!
J
~Bob Dylan
skier

Post by skier »

I would just get another laptop, HP laptops are known to have a short lifecycle, with Graphics issues in particular- I had to replace the panel in my Dv6000 after just 2 years of baby'ing, and I have a tablet here with a built-in GPU that wont stay atached to the motherboard. I have never seen an HP I liked the design of functionally, they're built as throw-away's like consumer-grade Lenovo's are (You can't even replace the WLAN card in Lenovo's because they use locked proprietary cards and won't pass POST with 3rd party cards)

Dell's are built to last though lose USB ports commonly, I'd personally look for a Latitude E6410 or better, we have some of the second gen i5 models at work and their BIOS is a little finnicky if you change things but they just work out of the box and don't die.

*Note, my Fiance has an Inspiron 15 from 2008 that I had to replace the motherboard in last year because the integrated graphics started glitching constantly

finally: HP bought Compaq several years ago, and continued using a couple of their lines
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

I agree about Dells but a new one is out of my price range. I just got this little 2005 model Latitude D600 working with W7 ultimate. Plan to use it for Ubuntu or similar whenever we get another one for my wife. You did give me an idea, though, and I found a few used ones on eBay. A couple of them have 2-3 years of factory extended warranty remaining and they ARE in my price range. Might go that route.....

Thanks again
~Bob Dylan
smile99
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by smile99 »

I am happy to find this post very useful for me, as it contains lot of information. I always prefer to read the quality content and this thing I found in you post. Thanks for sharing