ASUS and RMAs (Just how long does it take?)

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
DX
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

ASUS and RMAs (Just how long does it take?)

Post by DX »

It takes more than a year and a half to hear back from them. Back on 2-20-2012 (like the date?), I filed a RMA on a Graphic Card ENGT240 Series. After not hearing from them or getting any e-mails after filling out the form I checked my spam bin found it empty and called them. After being on hold a few hours I wrote an e-mail and left it at that for a week or so. I call again and wait on hold for a few hours and then e-mail them after no response to the last e-mail. This goes on off and on for a few months. After six months or so I just stopped trying as I had already replaced the card with something different in the clients system.

Come to this spring sometime I stumbled across the card in a junk box as I was in the process of sending a ton of computer junk (maybe not a ton but several hundred pounds) to the recycle collection on campus. I work at a big university. Anyways today I get an e-mail from ASUS asking about the card........

OK after more than a year and a half? Now I and the guy in the office next to me thought that this was funny as hell. ASUS it isn't that they don't care to respond you just have to wait for more than a year and a half to get your RMA number. Of course I was also feeling a little insulted as the card if I recall correctly only had a one year warranty and it had failed with in that time but they made certain to not get back to me till the warranty had long expired and that I had already chucked it. Now I can understand if there is some disastrous product that has a HUGE RMA ratio that it might take 30 days maybe even 60 days before you get any kind of response. But more than a year and a half is really unacceptable. Granted they at least did get back to me vs never responding ever.

I had to call the number provided in the e-mail and wow I only had to wait just over three minutes to talk to someone. I talked to the friendly tech Joshua about what had happened and he was very courteous and provided an email for me to forward what I had got to him. He then got a supervisor who talked to me about it. I communicated to him that it was nice in one respect to finally get a response from ASUS but that it was such a long time coming that I had simply chucked the card. Granted it wasn't a $1000 card like a Titan but then it wasn't a $20 bin buddy either. He said that because I didn't have a card to send in that there wasn't anything they could do but that they would send the issue on to HQ.

So with that in mind I'm hopeful that they might respond with something more than a 'We are sorry but you are out of luck." I'll not however wait more than a week to update this.
AMD 960T OC'ed to 4gz
ASRock 970 EXTREME4 AM3+ AMD 970
2 X G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000)(16gb)
EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-2682-KR GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: ASUS and RMAs (Just how long does it take?)

Post by Major_A »

This is not encouraging. I sent ASUS an email about a week and a half ago and have never heard anything. You would like to think a huge multinational conglomerate would have more than a handful of people reading emails and processing RMAs. I wouldn't let this go. Unfortunately if you want to get this set right then the squeaky wheel gets the grease (aka bitch and raise hell).
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Would you guys be willing to send me your RMA number? I'll ping ASUS with them and a link to this thread.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

I don't have an RMA but I did email them an issue with my motherboard. I reboot the computer and my primary drive disappears and the computer won't boot. I shut down the computer and turn it back on and it detects it without an issue. It isn't a deal breaker but it is rather annoying.
DX
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DX »

PM'ed the info.
AMD 960T OC'ed to 4gz
2 X G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000)(16gb)
EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-2682-KR GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16
Raja@ASUS
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Raja@ASUS »

Pleae PM me the RMA and I'l get the CLM team to have a look into the case.
Raja@ASUS
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Raja@ASUS »

Major_A wrote:I don't have an RMA but I did email them an issue with my motherboard. I reboot the computer and my primary drive disappears and the computer won't boot. I shut down the computer and turn it back on and it detects it without an issue. It isn't a deal breaker but it is rather annoying.

What's the drive and which motherboard? If it's Z87 and that's a Sandforce SF1200 controller it's a known issue which cannot be fixed due to the controller being non-compliant with SATA startup timing specs. The Z87 chipset is also sensitive to the SATA cables used, so other drives can go missing if the cables used are "noisy" for signaling.

Such issues on other chipsets usually come down to drive firmware and then to a lesser extent a UEFI bug (but not common).

-Raja
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Wow. You were on the right track, Z77 and a SF-2281. More specifically the P8Z77-V Pro BIOS 2104 and an OCZ Agility 3 120GB with firmware 2.50.
Raja@ASUS
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Raja@ASUS »

Might be worth shooting OCZ a message as well to find out if it's a known issue.
DX
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DX »

Well, nothing from management. I guess from now on when teaching classes and giving advice I'll let them all know what to expect from Asus.
AMD 960T OC'ed to 4gz
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

I hope not, I just installed an ASUS GTX 760 last week.
DX
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DX »

Well the response that I got from upper management is pretty much what I thought it would be. In any case while I was going through my basement I did happen to find the card I thought I had tossed but I had removed the heat sink to try and use it on another card but the holes were off just a hair. Just trying to make use of what I thought would be absolutely worthless otherwise. They won't take it as an RMA I'm sure cause it is pretty clear what I did there. They did say that I could send it in to be repaired at cost but meh it isn't worth the postage now to send it in. OH well no big loss for me now at this point. I just will stay as far from ASUS as I can and recommend the same for anyone else. Say any class I teach and anyone that asks for advice on what to purchase.

Bitter? Not really just disappointed. I don't know what I was expecting but like I said at this point it isn't catastrophic.
AMD 960T OC'ed to 4gz
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Sorry, I passed the info along to the right people. I hope they tried to reach out and help more than me not doing anything!
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
DX
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DX »

After making enough noise I have a rep that is sending me a shipping label to RMA it. I reattached the heat sink to the card and will be shipping it back. I'm just glad I was able to find the card. I could have sworn I had tossed it. There is just too much hoarder in me to toss anything away.
AMD 960T OC'ed to 4gz
DX
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DX »

Well well well it seems that there is a happy ending to this story. I got a new card in just last night 12-04-13. I'm glad that ASUS has decided to exchange the card. While not the greatest warranty experience ever it has at least concluded with me receiving a working replacement. Well I assume working as it was tested prior to being shipped to me. =)
AMD 960T OC'ed to 4gz