Anime Expo 2014 – Part 1: A Quick Live Look

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Anime Expo 2014 – Part 1: A Quick Live Look

Post by Apoptosis »

There’s lots of sassy energy bouncing off the floor at Anime Expo 2014 where the exuberance of youthful vigor attracts people and families who enjoy anime, manga, cosplaying, and Japanese culture into a single location for one long weekend. While this year’s event was my first Anime Expo, it didn’t come entirely as a surprise due to the fact that I’ve been following the past events every time photos from my friends slam into my Facebook news feed. While this is very much some random coverage for Legit Reviews which we may or may not do again, the following content is in ways a test as much as this adventure is a new....

Article Title: Anime Expo 2014 – Part 1: A Quick Live Look
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/anime-expo- ... t-1_145884
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: Anime Expo 2014 – Part 1: A Quick Live Look

Post by bubba »

This one is pro cosplayer Jessica Nigri. She has an awesome Harley Quinn and Moxxi cosplays.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Spamburger
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Spamburger »

While I shouldn't be surprised, I was expecting the likes of you bubba to go for Dark Helmet (#54), Hip Hop Trooper (#63), or "no life" gamer from the South Park WoW episode (#96.)
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

lol I like those. Just pointing out I noticed a pro in the bunch.

And.. you know... bewbs

Me and my son are currently working on Daft Punk Thomas and Deadmou5 helmets for next years Wizard World STL
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Spamburger
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Spamburger »

Well I just threw in two more...

bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Out of curiosity, what camera setup are you using?
-Thomas Jefferson
Spamburger
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Spamburger »

Canon EOS 6D DSLR
EF 24-105mm f/4 Lens
Speedlite 580EX II Flash with flash diffuser

This is also for the most part, the same setup used for the mice, keyboards, and headset reviews.
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

bubba wrote:lol I like those. Just pointing out I noticed a pro in the bunch.

And.. you know... bewbs

Me and my son are currently working on Daft Punk Thomas and Deadmou5 helmets for next years Wizard World STL

:lol: cue up "Heavy Metal"
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Spamburger wrote:Canon EOS 6D DSLR
EF 24-105mm f/4 Lens
Speedlite 580EX II Flash with flash diffuser

This is also for the most part, the same setup used for the mice, keyboards, and headset reviews.
I drool for the 6D or better camera. I have the t3i and 430EX II - I'm poor LOL Works good for my cigar reviews and got some reverse mount rings to play with macro without spending a small fortune on a macro lens.

Now for the question related to this post - how can one be a "professional" cosplayer? Heck, I could wear a bikini if they will pay me :mrgreen:
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Being a pro cosplayer doesn't mean they make their sole living dressing up, but a few get paid to show up.. basically "promotional modeling" just they are paid to do it dressed up and they make the costume. Some also are promoting their costume making business looking to show off their work to get commissions to make stuff for other people.

Yaya Han, Jessica Nigri...... have day jobs, make all their stuff, and paid to show up to Cons. Have fans, sign stuff, celeb status...
Holly Conrad, Jessica Merizan...... has day job, make all their stuff, not just for Cons but movie props/costumes as well, but competes in cosplay contests.
Volpin, Bill Doran... they make props for a living, cosplay to show off their work to get commissions to build stuff for others as their day job.

Basically

Produce a costume + wear it + money = Pro Cosplayer
Produce a costume - wear it + money = Pro Costume Designer
Wear a costume - producing it + money = Pro Model (booth babe)
Produce a costume + wear it - money = Hobbyist
-Thomas Jefferson
Spamburger
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Spamburger »

This is a good discussion because I'm gauging the reaction towards these set of AX articles. E3 2014 of course had a much stiffer atmosphere and the stuff at Anime Expo has nothing to do with what Legit Reviews is primarily about though cosplaying is something we can all get into.

Regarding the AX cosplays, I don't disagree with anything that's been brought up so far. Jessica Nigri was contracted as a cosplay personality at the Sentai Filmworks booth which to my surprise brought up a clash of fans and haters on the Sentai Filmworks Facebook page. Clearly some people are bitter or upset that a company brought on a big pair of boobs to promote something.

The Facebook page Spiral Cats doesn't have that reaction though I suspect because of moderation because the page seems too clean. At the same time, I do get this feeling that Spiral Cats gets more respect because their full-time members obviously are very productive and very effective both in the workshop and at events, relying heavily on technical execution. Also Jessica Nigri personally posts to her Facebook page and Twitter which at times makes here come off as obnoxious. While Spiral Cats and Jessica Nigri are not the first video game cosplayers, they are probably the first to go pro at the right time. If my memory is right, Jessica Nigri's breakout characters were Harley Quinn and Moxxi and Tasha's breakout characters were Katarina and Kerrigan, all characters from games that were getting lots of attention on the internet a few years back. Go to Anime Expo and you won't have to look to hard to find a cosplay from a video game much less so from an American or European dev studio.

When I was photographing on the floor, I was occasionally given a business card either by the cosplayer or some assistant and I have a total of 4 of those cards. All the cards list the cosplayer being available for freelance modeling and acting. Other than that, the vast majority of the amateur cosplayers are just doing it all for fun. Even at Tasha and Doremi's private press panel, it was stated that the favorite cosplays to make and wear are the ones that they do for fun and therefore not commissioned.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Spamburger wrote:Also Jessica Nigri personally posts to her Facebook page and Twitter which at times makes here come off as obnoxious.
Watch one of her YouTube videos. I only hope its an act, playing up the chesty dumb blonde angle, but she can be quite annoying.

I have noticed there is a rift rising between the ones that do it for the fun, and those that go all out and try to make a living at it.
-Thomas Jefferson