So I just ran speedtest at school.....

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
brentsg
Legit User
Legit User

Re: So I just ran speedtest at school.....

Post by brentsg »

Well, my additional performance didn't come without a cost. I went from rock solid broadband to much faster, but not quite so solid.. All that really happened is that they replaced my older SMC Networks device with a new one and performed the re-provision magic.

Now I lose my ability to access the internet every couple of days until I do a power cycle. It happened to correspond to me needing a few more UPS ports, so I bought a small APC lithium ion unit that has watchdog functionality. It pings a fixed IP in APC's space every minute and will power cycle the specified outlets (basically my router and cable modem) when certain failure criteria are met. It also e-mails me about the issue.

I need to get Charter on the phone, but I'm also tempted to have the APC unit e-mail Charter Business support automatically. :lol:

It's a Back-UPS Pro BG500 if interested, and I like it a lot. It's expensive, but the long battery life is nice. I mostly needed the very small form factor for this application.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

That isn't good. Charter able to help you out?
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
brentsg
Legit User
Legit User

Post by brentsg »

Apoptosis wrote:That isn't good. Charter able to help you out?
It's not gotten annoying enough to make me pick up the phone, which is really dumb. I should have left the stuff alone.