Recent Memory Reviews By Legit Reviews!

From general questions to the harder advanced user topics you will find them here!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Recent Memory Reviews By Legit Reviews!

Post by Apoptosis »

Starting with our DDR500 memory round-up we have changed the ways we have been looking at memory. Are we going on the right track? Let us know your feedback!

http://www.legitreviews.com/Reviews/ddr500_1.shtml

http://www.legitreviews.com/Reviews/xmspro_1.shtml
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

That was the plan! Always good to get some retail modules and stress test to see how the modules do. Thanks for the feedback
OsamaBinAthlon
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by OsamaBinAthlon »

Dead on track IMHO! I am always suspect of handpicked samples from manufacturers. Can have the old sticks after you've finished testing them??
:)
morosis
Legit User
Legit User

Post by morosis »

LOL! Good old osama, always trying to sqeeze every bit of performance out of every component! :P

Those RAM reviews are well done though, I like the idea of reading a review of RAM that didn't come hand picked from the manufacturer.

I liked that XMS Pro review too, that stuff looks pretty cool! Would like to see it in a nice windowed case, that would be groovy :)
Sex is like software, it's better when it's free.
kpothuwila
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by kpothuwila »

Yeah I like the idea about you guys getting your own reviewing stuff rather than manufacturers hand picked ones.

Great review of PC4000XMS Pro

Would you guys be able to review the PC3200XMS Pro & how far they overclock with CAS 2 timings
wildabeast
Legit User
Legit User

Post by wildabeast »

Hey guys I love your reviews of the ram. Very cool way to go about checking the ram to see how stable it is. Your site is the reason I bought the Corsair PC4000 Pro's. Keep up the great work. Oh by the way this ram is very sweet 265FSB 1:1 ratio. Stable as a rock.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Glad to see it helped you out and welcome to our new forums!
wildabeast
Legit User
Legit User

Post by wildabeast »

thank you for the great welcome and as long as your site stays legit. I'll be here all the time. :)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

next month will mark our first year on the web! Only going to get better now that the site has grown as much as it has. Going to Comdex in Vegas and a couple trips to visit some companies that make the products we love next month. Should have some on the scene reviews coming up shortly from these trips!
wildabeast
Legit User
Legit User

Post by wildabeast »

That will be awesome. I do have to admit that I just discovered your site about a month ago. But I like what you guys are doing so far. So I will be lurking here for a while. Just keep up the good work.
loz

Post by loz »

:) Welcome wildabeast.
Loz Bain
European Senior Reviewer
Legit Reviews LLC
pastorjay
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by pastorjay »

Yes! Welcome! Good to have you here!

PJ
epark
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Best memory reviews out there

Post by epark »

I've been shopping for a new P4C setup and I've got RAM options up the wazoo. I haven't been up on this stuff as I've been using an Slot A K7-700 and can't use DDR anyways. So now I'm learning about Barton vs. Northwood, latencies, FSB OC'ing, etc. etc. :wink:

Man I am so sick of junk memory reviews. It's like I'm trying to compare apples to carrots to oranges to orangutans. Legit's set of reviews on DDR500 + the Corsair XMS 4000 Pro review is presently the best info out there. Combined with the roundup on Anandtech, and the Mushkin reviews on Rojakpot, I'm figuring it all out. :D

Keep up the great work. It's tough figuring out all this stuff about BH5 and CH5, voltage issues on motherboards, maxing FSBs vs. dropping memory latencies, etc. I'm building a multimedia editing workstation on the cheap, and decided I want the Hyperthreading on the P4C, and I'm going with a 2.6Ghz version.

Now I've got a sea of mem choices... Mushkin Level 2 PC3500 to OCZ Gold 3700 to OCZ EL 4000 to Corsair XMS Pro 4000 to Geil Ultra 4200 (the faster Corsairs aren't for sale anywhere I've looked, but 2X512 Geil Ultra 4200 is on newegg for $311). The number of choices is staggering. :shock:

Low CAS at 450FSB? 510FSB and PC4200? And what's the best deal? It's tough being a smart shopper. But I need to figure this stuff out and get a system up, so your site has been indispensable.

The approach you've taken with memory benchmarks is much more scientific than the other review sites. Anandtech is great, but your testing setup is to memory reviews as Frostytech is to heat sink performance data. 8)

The USD is dropping like an anvil in a Wile E. Coyote cartoon against the Yen and Euro, so I guess I gotta get this stuff now or else I'll be paying 20% more after the holidays. Otherwise I'd wait till you put up reviews on the faster ram coming out, or I'd even wait till someone figures out how to make PC4400 at CAS2. :)

Very truly yours,
-ed
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Ed,

How do you want to run your system? Tight timings and lower MHz or Lose timings and higher 1:1 speeds? Once you figure that out your sea of choices quickly narrows down to a couple!

Thanks for the nice comments and am glad someone is making use of my hours in front of the test bench ;)