ASUS ROG Strix GL502 Gaming Notebook Review - GL502VS-DB71

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

ASUS ROG Strix GL502 Gaming Notebook Review - GL502VS-DB71

Post by Apoptosis »

ASUS has taken the GL502VT gaming notebook and made a number of key improvements despite the fact that it's only been out a few months. For starters the GeForce GTX-900 series graphics have been replaced by the newer GeForce GTX 10-series GPUs, you have an NVMe PCIe SSD instead of an M.2 SATA III SSD and the USB 3.1 Type C Gen 1 port has been updated to a Gen 2 USB 3.1 Type-C port. This means you have faster graphics, storage and USB interfaces in the latest GL5502VS gaming notebook!

Article Title: ASUS ROG Strix GL502 Gaming Notebook Review
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/asus-rog-st ... b71_185721
Pricing At Time of Print: $1699 shipped
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: ASUS ROG Strix GL502 Gaming Notebook Review - GL502VS-DB71

Post by sbohdan »

I understand the bottom has to be thicker because of the extra cooling but why is the monitor part have a thick, ugly looking bezel?!
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

sbohdan wrote:I understand the bottom has to be thicker because of the extra cooling but why is the monitor part have a thick, ugly looking bezel?!
Totally agree... I mentioned that in the conclusion... Going from my Dell XPS 13 to that is like EEEEK. Too thick, but damn can it play games. With gaming notebooks like this being able to play games so well it leaves me thinking this will just hurt desktop PCs even more. The next generation cards will bring GTX 1070/1080 performance down to more mainstream levels... Ugh
Follow Me on Twitter!
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

With gaming notebooks like this being able to play games so well it leaves me thinking this will just hurt desktop PCs even more.
At least there might be a price-drop on the insanely expensive graphics cards! Having the top cards go for $700-$1000 is insane, when getting a top-of-the-line gaming laptop is not much more, except the laptop is a complete PC and the VGA card still needs the rest of the hardware parts to function. VGA prices hurt PC sales the most in my opinion.
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

sbohdan wrote: VGA prices hurt PC sales the most in my opinion.
True, but discrete graphics are also what have saved PC Gaming and made it better than console gaming. PC Gaming has thrived while general desktop PC sales have dropped significantly and this is part of the reason why. Best and worst friend scenario.
Follow Me on Twitter!