Windows 10 and quick access new window issues

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Windows 10 and quick access new window issues

Post by bubba »

All of a sudden any folder I have pined in Explorer's "Quick Access" section any folder I try to look at opens a new window even with it set to open in same window.

But if I open a shortcut or folder on desktop, it behaves the way it should, opening things in the same window.

Its driving me nuts.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
KnightRid

Re: Windows 10 and quick access new window issues

Post by KnightRid »

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/fix-f ... ew-window/

Dunno if this will help cause I disabled quick access the minute I saw it along with doing the classic start menu :mrgreen:
Fix a Problem Where Folders Open in New Window Every time

When you open Windows Explorer and double-click a folder, it may open a new explorer window rather than showing the folder contents in the existing window. This may happen although "Open each folder in the same window" setting is selected in Control Panel – Folder Options. Use these steps to fix the problem.
Fix #1: Resetting the NavPane registry settings

Close all folder windows. Start Regedit.exe and navigate to the following branch:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Modules\NavPane

Right-click NavPane and choose Delete

Exit the Registry Editor.
Fix #2: Resetting the Default Double-click Action

Open an Admin Command Prompt window.

Type the following and press {ENTER}

reg delete HKCR\Folder\shell /ve /f

and

reg add HKCR\Directory\shell /ve /d none /f

That resets the default double-click action to “open”, and thereby fixes the problem.

Fix #3: Registering IEProxy.Dll

This issue could also happen after installing certain versions of VaultClient software, and can be resolved by registering a DLL file. Use these steps, for Windows 7 and higher:

Windows 32-bit

regsvr32.exe "%Programfiles%\Internet Explorer\ieproxy.dll"

Windows 64-bit

regsvr32.exe "%Programfiles%\Internet Explorer\ieproxy.dll"
%systemroot%\SysWoW64\regsvr32.exe "%Programfiles(x86)%\Internet Explorer\ieproxy.dll"

You should see a similar message as below, in the output window:

DllRegisterServer in ieproxy.dll succeeded.

If that doesn’t help, download and run the folder and directory association fixes from the following links. Choose the one for the version of Windows you’re using:
File Association Fixes

Windows 7 | Windows 8 | Windows 10
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

I had tried that, still no luck. Narrowed it down to combination of windows updates and Adobe Creative Cloud updates butting heads.

Rolled back to an old restore point this morning and CC updates, issue went away. Avoiding the CC updates for a while.

Annoying as all get out.. it was ONLY on the quick access portion in Explorer. Mess up and click on any of them and BOOM... ](*,)

Wonder how those REG hacks hold up when new point releases of Windows drop...
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

bubba wrote:Wonder how those REG hacks hold up when new point releases of Windows drop...
That is always the 1billion dollar question isn't it.

Would be interesting to try installing the cc updates before the windows ones and see if you have the problem and if not, then install the windows ones. Maybe it is a dupe file that is getting replaced by one or the other. Of course vice versa if the cc first didnt work. Would take time though, which is always what we seem to lack now a days :(
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

From what I have read the windows/cc headbutting has been an issue for some (not all) CC users for 2 years.

Both sides say issue is due to the other. I'm leaning Adobe, because the issue seems to popup after using an export option in Photoshop.

The issue repeated on my laptop (also windows 10), rolled it back, it went away. dunno. This only affects a user, not all users on system. My secondary profiles were unaffected. Worse comes to worse I could dump my profile and start a new, that would suck.
-Thomas Jefferson
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

bubba wrote:From what I have read the windows/cc headbutting has been an issue for some (not all) CC users for 2 years.

Both sides say issue is due to the other. I'm leaning Adobe, because the issue seems to popup after using an export option in Photoshop.

The issue repeated on my laptop (also windows 10), rolled it back, it went away. dunno. This only affects a user, not all users on system. My secondary profiles were unaffected. Worse comes to worse I could dump my profile and start a new, that would suck.
This is one reason I hate Windows but am too lazy to re-learn everything on Linux,l plus I HATE partitions. Doesn't matter how many you have, if the drive fails, it fails. Plus in Windows you have to reinstall the programs anyway. Stuff like this makes no sense at all. One user is is peachy, the next it isnt and its ON THE SAME SYSTEM ](*,)

P.S. I hate Adobe cause it is ungodly expensive and I am too stupid to understand it :finga:
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

KnightRid wrote:....
P.S. I hate Adobe cause it is ungodly expensive and I am too stupid to understand it :finga:
I use Creative Cloud at work, upside to CC is that you can install it on 2 devices. So I have it on my desktop at work and at home... I used to have it on my laptop, but I hate doing photoshop work on a 15" screen..

but yeah, full CC suite is not cheap. The photographer version (photoshop and lightroom) is $20 a month.
-Thomas Jefferson