New system

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New system

Post by Apoptosis »

I'm old and still like using the BIOS/UEFI for overclocking 95% of the time.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
DJ Tucker
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DJ Tucker »

Apoptosis wrote:I'm old and still like using the BIOS/UEFI for overclocking 95% of the time.
I'm in agreement with Apoptosis here. while there are programs that do a good job but bios overclocking is safer as you maybe able to get said overclock on desktop but not be able to post after reset in which you will have to go to the bios to reset the overclock/factory settings anyway so you might as well continue from there :)
MSI Z590 Gaming Edge Wifi
Core i7 10700KF 5Ghz @ 1.25v With Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super 1980Mhz @ 0.925v With TechN GPU Block
32Gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600Mhz 16-18-18-38
Aqua Computer Ultitube 200 Pro D5 Next
Corsair XR5 240mm x2 & 360mm
Intel 670p 2Tb & WD Blue M.2 2Tb
Corsair HX1000i
Philips Momentum 3000 24" (Main) & MSI Optix G241V E2 (Second)
Lian Li O11D
Roccat Vulcan 120 Aimo, Roccat Kone Aimo Remastered and Roccat Sym Pro Air
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

4ghz at 1.4V - seems stable so far :) Well 3.990.48 anyway lol
4ghz.JPG
4ghz.JPG (56.24 KiB) Viewed 13364 times
Well had to lower to 3.50 in order to get cpuz benchmark to complete but it beat the threadripper 1900x and was a few points shy of the 2700x!
cpuzrank.JPG
cpuzrank.JPG (21.29 KiB) Viewed 13364 times
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Welp seems the mb died. Never seemed right but it was working till I restarted those times for the oc testing. Thought maybe it was touching the case but I took it completely out and it wont work :( debating whether to put the i7 back in or wait and use my laptop till I get a new mb. Gonna check Amazon now, will keep you all up to date.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

UPDATE - I reseated the CPU and it seems to be working again...hmmm. Maybe something wonky with the holder? Maybe it wasnt seated properly this whole time and it was just getting lucky when it worked and that is why the rgb stuff was freaking out and it wouldnt restart right...etc

UPDATE 2 - RGB Fusion stopped working again as now there is just no light....oh well. I still think it may be just something wonky with the MB but it is working right now and I have tested with restarting multiple times and even going into the BIOS (again, RGB does not work even in the BIOS...again) with no problems at all. One thing I do not get is how the CPU temps seem to be high on some cores but not others. Only thing I am doing is typing this so the cpu is not being stressed. Maybe it is the thermal paste (Arctic SIlver 5). Using CPUID HW Monitor if that matters.
CPUIDHWTemps.JPG
CPUIDHWTemps.JPG (25.94 KiB) Viewed 13347 times
Update 3 - RGB started working again. Did not restart or do anything at all it just blinked on LOL Damn ghosts messing with me :axe:
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
DJ Tucker
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DJ Tucker »

Odd that the mobo died than came back to life. Why on earth the rgb system is having a meltdown is damn right superstitious. Have a feeling it could be a mobo demon issue with all that's going on as of late. Maybe an electro demon decided to posses your mobo.

As for the freak temp range at idle, have you checked to see if the cpu is indeed idle? AS5 is good paste minus it taking 200+ hours to cure to save 2-5c of cooling. Try reseating the heatsink with some other paste if you have any lying around and report back :)
Corsair HX1000i
Lian Li O11D
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by camaroguy1998 »

IMHO....RMA the Mobo and buy an ASUS!
Yeah, I'm biased towards ASUS!
ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
AMD 3400G - 32G GSkill RipJaw V - {Win10} Pro 64bit, Win11 Update
Corsair H100i RGB PRO XT 240mm AIO Cooler
Corsair RM750X PSU - Corsair Force MP600 M.2 2280 1TB SSD
ASUS 27" LED LCD monitor - Lepai 2x20W Amp - Dayton B652 Spkrs

Corsair 4000D Airflow
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Odd, send the board over to me and I'll take a look. I got a couple of those boards in the closet that are brand new, so I got you covered. (unless it's a bad CPU)
Follow Me on Twitter!
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Apoptosis wrote:Odd, send the board over to me and I'll take a look. I got a couple of those boards in the closet that are brand new, so I got you covered. (unless it's a bad CPU)
It's been working now. I haven't played with oc or lighting since it started to act good though. I will keep testing it out and see how it goes. It almost seems that the water block wants to pull the CPU out of the socket. I reversed it to put less tension on the CPU and it has been working great.

Will keep everyone up to date on my fun and adventures :)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
DJ Tucker
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DJ Tucker »

glad that it all seems to work now :)
Corsair HX1000i
Lian Li O11D
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

So it happened again with the windows update that came through. Computer locked up, power button would not shut it off and then it would not restart. I moved the cooler block around a bit (pushed in on it really) and then it booted up but the led is back to just red.

I want to pull the water block off and see if the cpu comes out with it. I have read online that people had that issue with some boards/waterblocks and since the last time I took it off the CPU came out before I released the locking lever, it may be the problem.
DJ Tucker
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DJ Tucker »

In fact the cpu pulling out of the socket may well be the issue. A friend of mine had an issue where he would change the paste fort better temps constantly and pull the cpu from the socket. Even though he did that and reseated it, it failed to boot and setting went all over the place. I fixed it by telling him that was the issue of the system not functioning properly. Since then he has been good and not touched anything and all is good minus the temps (that's AMD for you) :)
Corsair HX1000i
Lian Li O11D
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

DJ Tucker wrote:In fact the cpu pulling out of the socket may well be the issue. A friend of mine had an issue where he would change the paste fort better temps constantly and pull the cpu from the socket. Even though he did that and reseated it, it failed to boot and setting went all over the place. I fixed it by telling him that was the issue of the system not functioning properly. Since then he has been good and not touched anything and all is good minus the temps (that's AMD for you) :)
Yea I took the nuts off the water block and removed it and WHAM there was the CPU stuck to the bottom. Pulled right out of the holder without releasing the lock!!!! I wonder if this is a problem with all AMD boards or just Gigabyte...

I am trying to figure out some way to fix it. Maybe if I put another spacer in the water block backplate it will let it tighten further. I just dont want to end up cracking the CPU. Maybe laying the computer on its side so gravity will push down on the waterblock...

Nate - did you have any problems like this in your testing and use?
DJ Tucker
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DJ Tucker »

saying that my friends motherboard was a gigabyte fm2+. he got another one (MSI) and had the same issue :(
Corsair HX1000i
Lian Li O11D
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

DJ Tucker wrote:saying that my friends motherboard was a gigabyte fm2+. he got another one (MSI) and had the same issue :(
Damn. Thought maybe just one manufacturer issue.

Maybe superglue :mrgreen:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Want me to send you one and then get you to send that back? that way you have no down time?

As for thermal paste... I've pulled them out of the socket before, but it's been a long time. I've used 'lighter' thermal paste lately and put on a very thin amount. No pulling at all since i've done that. You might be using too much paste. You want less thermal paste that you'd think.
Follow Me on Twitter!
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Apoptosis wrote:Want me to send you one and then get you to send that back? that way you have no down time?

As for thermal paste... I've pulled them out of the socket before, but it's been a long time. I've used 'lighter' thermal paste lately and put on a very thin amount. No pulling at all since i've done that. You might be using too much paste. You want less thermal paste that you'd think.
What paste do you use? I may grab some and try that first. I used the arctic silver and it did seem to be pretty sticky. Maybe i need to get a better thinner paste to use on this new stuff.
DJ Tucker
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DJ Tucker »

+Try mx 4 or gelid extreme. It's+-71 thinner than arctic silver but not by much. Maybe enough if you thin it out a little more
Corsair HX1000i
Lian Li O11D
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Update - seems to be running very stable now. I switched to MX-4 paste and I took and added a tiny rubber strip (about the thickness of 2 sheets of paper) from another water cooler I had to try and get it to tighten up a little more.

I have not tried overclocking again nor have I messed with the gigabyte apps as I am happy it is running great right now LOL It has rebooted through MS updates with no problems as I changed the color on the board to purple so I could easily tell since it would either turn off the rgb or set it back to red when the problems were there.
DJ Tucker
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DJ Tucker »

at least you got it running again. shame you didn't overclock but its better to be safe than sorry :)
Corsair HX1000i
Lian Li O11D
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

How my luck has gone this year.....

Woke up this morning and it was crashed...hard. Had to unplug it to get it back on and now the RGB is off *sigh* Seriously, this year has been a bitch. Wife says the same thing. Cant wait for 2019!

Will rip it apart again today and see if I can figure anything out.

OK so I took it apart and used the Arcticlean 1 and 2 and reapplied the MX-4 in a 5 die pattern (tiny dollops) and everything is up and running again. We shall see.... I honestly don't know what else other than the cpu stuff could cause all this unless the motherboard is getting shorted by the case but I have the standoffs on so it should have plenty of clearance....