Future Look: The Optimus Organic LED keyboard

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Future Look: The Optimus Organic LED keyboard

Post by Apoptosis »

We usually don't write articles on upcoming products, but after coming across the Optimus Keyboard we thought is was worth a first-look. At first glance the keyboard looks like a normal QWERTY keyboard, but don't let the looks deceive you. This is actually the first keyboard that have run across that is made with organic light-emitting diodes (OLEDs) on every key. Never heard of OLEDs? You are going to hear the term more often as they are brighter and more colorful than both LCD and Plasma screens, plus they don't require power-draining backlights.

Article Link: The Optimus Organic LED keyboard

What do you guys think of the idea?
Last edited by Apoptosis on Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

i remember seeing an article about this a while back... totally sweet :)
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

I read about that KB back in July......................looked expensive then and it still looks expensive now......................... :shock:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

yeah i first heard about it when they sent their PR out back in July, but now more details have come out on it. Like the open source code and reduced cost. Back in July rumors were $300 and that it might not become a reality.
cyberguy
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by cyberguy »

I've seen articles and even visited the vendor's site to investigate this a couple months ago.

You guys do realize this is a paper prototype right?

I admit that the technology behind this is really cool but there is no real working prototype of this technology. The pictures you have seen are all paper mockups and artist's concepts.

Bitboys Oy ran on vapor like this for years. I really do hope this becomes a reality though.
Brueck
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Brueck »

That's the coolest thing ever...I want one!
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

yeah we know its only an idea right now, but who knows if we keep talking about it and saying how cool it is and how much we want the tech, then maybe it will go from a design to the real thing.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
wraith
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by wraith »

You must also keep in mind the cost and abyssmal life-span of OLEDs at the moment. Blue OLED-elements now have a life time of no more than 10,000 hours. Do the math. That's not much if you leave your computer on for more than a few hours each day. Also, I don't even want to think how much more than 100 custom sized OLED screens will cost in manufacture but I guess that $300.- for the keyboard is illusory.

wraith
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Wraith,

Great first post and welcome to the forums. In 2003 a blue OLED had a lifespan of 5,000 hours. In 2004 the lifespan of a blue OLED increased to 70,000 hours. (Source: "CDT") Now in May of 2005 Cambridge Display Technology announced a blue OLED with a lifetime of over 100,000 hours, which is much better than before. (Article Source: CDT)

Two other issues are noted though -- intrusion of water into displays which damages and destroys the organics. Therefore, improved sealing processes are important for practical manufacturing. Also, efficient outcoupling of waveguided light within the substrates is an area of continued research.

Still a technology that has a ways to come, but is expected to be a $3 Billion market by 2007. The Optimus is still a prototype, but it is only time still a real one hits the market. It may not be this one, but one will.

Side Note: Anyone used an Auravision Eluminx keyboard? I have several and the original ones had a half life of only a few months!
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

my guess is that they will also have a feature where the keys turn off when not in use. kinda like letting the screen on your pc turn off. why keep it on if its not in use.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
One4yu2c
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by One4yu2c »

I was involved in a recent discussion about this on another forum and in my opinion, it's an exicting innovation in a largely overlooked area (keyboards). Between the Optimus concept, the lackluster looking 205 Pro from UnitedKeys that's currently available, and IKeyInvinity's version that is a working prototype (in LCD form), the cat has been let out of the bag. :)
Kemot
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Kemot »

infinitevalence wrote:my guess is that they will also have a feature where the keys turn off when not in use. kinda like letting the screen on your pc turn off. why keep it on if its not in use.
That's what I was thinking. I think this is a great idea, because Keyboards really ARE overlooked when it comes to computer hardware. A keyboard of this type could really change the way we use programs, especially if this technology would correspond with a variety of programs, whether it's a web browser, photoshop or winamp to name a few. If this keyboard comes out, or one similiar with the OLED's I would definetly buy it. And yes, this would definetly knock out the EzBoards. My brother bought one, and we haven't used it since :roll:
PacoBell
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Re: Future Look: The Optimus Organic LED keyboard

Post by PacoBell »

Apoptosis wrote:We usually don't right articles on upcoming products
Methinks you need a better proofreader.
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

so, i was thinking about it and i actually changed my mind on this keyboard.... i don't think it's all that awesome. why?

how the hell do you pop the keys off to clean your keyboard?
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

audiophile wrote:so, i was thinking about it and i actually changed my mind on this keyboard.... i don't think it's all that awesome. why?

how the hell do you pop the keys off to clean your keyboard?
Do you really take all your keys off to clean your keyboard?!
I know I don't. Just turn it upside down, shake it a little bit, blow into the keys, turn it back right side up, then wipe the dust off it; that's how I do it at least...
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

yeah, i take all the keys off, grab some q-tips and some rubbing alcohol or some kind of astringent and clean off the keys and keyboard. after i'm done, it feels like new, again :)
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

audiophile wrote:yeah, i take all the keys off, grab some q-tips and some rubbing alcohol or some kind of astringent and clean off the keys and keyboard. after i'm done, it feels like new, again :)
HOLY CRAP! It must take you an hour to clean your keyboard! :shock:
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

nah, it takes about 30 mins or so. i do it while i watch tv, so i don't really even realize it.
Strid3r-
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Strid3r- »

wraith wrote:You must also keep in mind the cost and abyssmal life-span of OLEDs at the moment. Blue OLED-elements now have a life time of no more than 10,000 hours. Do the math. That's not much if you leave your computer on for more than a few hours each day. Also, I don't even want to think how much more than 100 custom sized OLED screens will cost in manufacture but I guess that $300.- for the keyboard is illusory.

wraith
Besides the fact that it looks cool and it costs a lot, 10,000 hours is a lot if you only do use it, say less than 6 hrs a day. 6 Hrs a day will let you keep it for about 4.5 years, that's longer than I've ever kept a normal keyboard. The cost is the real hinderence here.
AMD 64 3500+ (Venice)
eVGA 131-K8-NF44-AX NF4 SLI Mobo
2 GB Patriot DDR400
eVGA 7600GS
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Just found out that the Optimus keyboard is due to be launched on February 1st, 2006!