SATA v. PATA HDs

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Tim Burton
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

SATA v. PATA HDs

Post by Tim Burton »

I know the basic differences, but does it really make that much performance/reliability difference to go with SATA than PATA?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I wouldn't say there is a reliability difference, but SATA is the way of the future. Going into 2006 the only HDD anyone should purchase is SATA. Be it for a notebook or a desktop SATA is the only storage solution for new stystems!
pointreyes
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by pointreyes »

As of this week, I'm down to only one IDE HDD for my three systems and that's in my laptop. Go with SATA if you can. The buses on the latest offerings of new motherboards is making the bottleneck of the drives less and less of a problem-something that will not be mitigated with IDE drives.
Tim Burton
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Tim Burton »

I can, and plan on it, but I have a couple of IDE drives I would like to keep as mass storage (non-OS/Games) and didn't know if it was that important to solely go SATA.
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by NAiLs »

I'll definitely be getting SATA2 drives on my next system. All of my IDE drives will just be mass storage also.
"Bow down before the one you serve! You're going to get what you deserve!" - |\| | |/|
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

Yeah, as others have said, there isn't really a performance advantage between SATA and PATA on two identical drives, but SATA is the newer interface and it's always a good idea to adopt the newer standards. Plus, all the newer drives are coming out in SATA, so there is no reason why you shouldn't go SATA if you are purchasing a new drive. But if you already have PATA drives, there really isn't any good reason to upgrade them to SATA (except for the fact that you get a much smaller/easier to work with cable).
But even Dell PC's with a single HDD are being shipped with SATA. I have a fast SATA drive for programs and OS, and a larger capacity (but slightly slower) PATA drive for backups/mass storage and it's a really greaat combo.
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

gvblake22 wrote:Yeah, as others have said, there isn't really a performance advantage between SATA and PATA on two identical drives, but SATA is the newer interface and it's always a good idea to adopt the newer standards. Plus, all the newer drives are coming out in SATA, so there is no reason why you shouldn't go SATA if you are purchasing a new drive. But if you already have PATA drives, there really isn't any good reason to upgrade them to SATA (except for the fact that you get a much smaller/easier to work with cable).
But even Dell PC's with a single HDD are being shipped with SATA. I have a fast SATA drive for programs and OS, and a larger capacity (but slightly slower) PATA drive for backups/mass storage and it's a really greaat combo.
right said gvblake. SATA isn't faster at all then PATA - not because of the interface at least. I have a 40GB pata from maxtor and it is actually noticably faster then my other 80GB SATA from samsung (the samsung is quieter, but when I found out it was slower then my 3 year old maxtor- I allmost throw it out)
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
slaulau
Legit User
Legit User

SATA v. PATA HDs

Post by slaulau »

Can I have both SATA and PATA at the same time?
I know we can set master and salve in PATA, how about between them. Will SATA by default to boot up the computer as master?
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: SATA v. PATA HDs

Post by kenc51 »

slaulau wrote:Can I have both SATA and PATA at the same time?
I know we can set master and salve in PATA, how about between them. Will SATA by default to boot up the computer as master?
SATA drives don't need to be master/slave
IDE drives do, because you can connect 2 drives on each channel (cable)
You need to tell the pc which drive is the master/slave -> most motherboards work fine if you set both IDE drives as "cable select" -> this way you don't have to worry about jumppers!

You can run both IDE and SATA on the same board, you don't need to set master/salve because of SATA...only set the HDD jumppers to what normally works! Then set your bios to boot from which ever drive you have XP installed on

ie. just plug & play
no-sweat
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by no-sweat »

I have a question !!!

I just ordered an SATA II drive, but my motherboard says it support SATA I. So does this mean that I'm only gunna get SATA I speeds?
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

no-sweat wrote:I have a question !!!

I just ordered an SATA II drive, but my motherboard says it support SATA I. So does this mean that I'm only gunna get SATA I speeds?
exactly.
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
TK421
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by TK421 »

no-sweat wrote:I have a question !!!

Backwards compatibility at least??? :) At least you don't have to buy a completely separate HDD.

Sorry, just trying to create a positive out of a negative. Bummer man.
Stormtrooper TK421
Tempesta
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Tempesta »

I've got my SATA Raptor as my main drive and my 120GB PATA drive on its own IDE channel for storage only (no programs). I've even Ghosted from the SATA to the PATA when making a backup image and didn't have any problems. All the systems I have built in the past 6 months have been SATA. Definitely the way to go.
Sovereign
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sovereign »

The SATA1 Western Digital Caviar 400GB is wicked fast, definately faster than my old PATA Seagate 'Cuda 7200.7...hopefully I can pop open the Caviar for Xmas lol.
Play
Q6600 @ 3.2GHz :: 8GB DDR2-800 :: eVGA 9800GX2 :: 7900GTX (secondary) :: abit IP35 Pro :: 150GB Raptor 10k RPM :: 2x750GB WD Caviar :: 120GB WD :: X-Fi XtremeMusic :: NEC 4551A :: BenQ DVD Combodrive (52x32x52) :: Dual 22" Acer AL2216W :: Thermaltake Armor Black :: Logitech Z5500 5.1

Work
Core 2 Duo @ 2.53GHz :: 4GB DDR3 @ 1067MHz :: 3670 :: Intel PM45 Chipset :: 500GB 5400RPM SATA :: Integrated Audio :: BD-ROM/DVD Burner :: 16" 1920x1080 RGBLED
no-sweat
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by no-sweat »

Sovereign wrote:The SATA1 Western Digital Caviar 400GB is wicked fast, definately faster than my old PATA Seagate 'Cuda 7200.7...hopefully I can pop open the Caviar for Xmas lol.

ooooo i got the SATAII Western Digital Caviar 250GB ! I hoped its wicked fast too!!! :shock: :)